R6 to R15 Adapter [Beta]: Enable R15 Tech in R6 Experiences

So you said it would get discontinued, admittedly not right now, but at some point.

Does that mean that my R6 StarterCharacter will… break? I wouldn’t see why it would break but if someone could confirm or deny this I’d appreciate it a lot.

No not fully, mostly the tech of it. They’re trying to keep the old-style look and movement of R6 but the tech of it is going away since it hasn’t been updated in years and can have some of it’s limitations. However, it doesn’t change the fact that a lot of older games rely on R6 tech, and would be impossible for a lot of stuff meant for R6 to get broken.

1 Like

How does Roblox mess up emulating the most basic rig by giving us the most disproportionate avatar I think I’ve ever seen in my life, I understand R6 isn’t going to be around forever and investors interests will always be put before the community but come on you could’ve at least tried. I love the classic Roblox style and I’ve even started work on an open world zombie survival game using it but I think I would be better off making my own avatar system before I ever even considered using that thing.

1 Like

Well that’s still the minority.

If the user didn’t like R15 they could just change to R6 doesn’t matter if it was forced.

Do you have proof of this occuring?

Would I still have the ability to activate the r6 profile picture on my avatar page, given that its only being depreciated and not removed entirely

Why are we all shocked here like this wasn’t going to happen LOL. I’m just happy it’s happening later than I expected.

I knew something was up with some of the content creators. I feel like a lot of their “information” for Roblox’s Updates isn’t clear enough. they’re probably using this as falsehood to make the news feel more of a problem than it should be.

Please do not deprecate R6. Some of us really adore it and have stuck with it for many reasons, but the main one being that we’ve grown attached to this feature, and we’d hate to see it go. This update isn’t terrible, but deprecation of R6 is completely uncalled for. Please reconsider doing this.

4 Likes

The only valid thing I could think of for that scenario is Erik Cassel’s account being updated, now using R15 as well as the “Stevie Standard” Dynamic Head.

The account has had no activity since 2013, ever since Erik passed away from his fight with cancer. The avatar got updated the same day as builderman’s avatar, receiving the dynamic head as well.

Builderman makes sense in this scenario, but not Erik. It kinda just happened out of the blue and there wasn’t really a reason for his avatar to be updated on his account too.

Also, a tweet showcasing both avatars being updated the same day

6 Likes

Just 1 or 2 accounts made to use R15 doesn’t discredit the many more people that use R15 over R6.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know that, I’m just trying to say it HAS happened where an avatar has been updated out of the blue, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened to other accounts too.

I definitely prefer R15 over R6 myself, I won’t argue that at all. I can’t really speak for anyone else of course, props to you if you like R6, props to you if you like R15. Nothing wrong with liking either of them.

Newer players will generally like what’s given to them though, and more often than not, it would be R15.

1 Like

One day later:

Yeah, compatibility is still bad. It’s literally for animations only.

All it really does is give you R6 animations and scale the character down. How is this compatibility? We might as well switch to R15 entirely or use the R21 rig.

1 Like

I don’t consider appropiate for ROBLOX to delete R6.
The meaning it carries since the beggining of the platform as a whole.
I dislike this change ROBLOX has in mind, so hopefully they will indeed listen to the feedback users give and do something, rather than just wasting everyone’s time.

2 Likes

Somewhat okay idea, bad implementation. You need to make it look and behave EXACTLY like R6 for it to be accepted by a large portion of the community. The joints in the limbs and the squished-inwards lower torso isn’t true to the original R6. It looks too much like R15. The transition also needs to be relatively seamless. Come on, get this right and this won’t be as bad for the community, or the PR team.

you are not preserving the look or feel. random shapes in the sides of limbs is not r6. find a better way to do it that actually obtains the feel of r6 or i garuntee this adoption will go poorly & that players will find workarounds to return R6. the lower torso joint looks so ugly.

4 Likes

yes because i screenshot 15 year old accounts daily and post them to the internet archives

1 Like

I personally agree with you. People who played ROBLOX before the R15 update would be mad at ROBLOX for removing something iconic in their history, including the playerbase’s childhoods.

So seeing this approach is not a good idea at all and this could ruin ROBLOX’s reputation for their older audience who played the game during 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. Even with their recognition as well.

I say this because R6 was one of the reasons why ROBLOX has been recognised by people, including ROBLOX’s popularity has increased. Once ROBLOX has decided to remove R6, ROBLOX would be less recognised as themselves, and instead, a completely different game that doesn’t feel like ROBLOX anymore.

2 Likes

This is by far the most egregious thing Roblox can do to its community.
They are looking into removing the most iconic character in Roblox.
Please stop erasing our history. You have already done enough damage by erasing other historical items.

This is super misleading as its accounting for the insane amount of botted accounts that currently exist.

6 Likes

I have done some testing with this update and here are some very large and obvious flaws I and dozens of others have found.

1. Jump/fall animations do not play in full, usually stopping about halfway.
  2. Any type of animation that uses non-linear keyframe easing will not play at all.
  3. There is a ton of added feet sliding when the original animations had none of these issues.
  4. Body parts are scaled to a comical level (such as the head and lower torso).
  5. Many R15 artifacts are still present (obvious wrist and ankle joints, ugly lower torso).

I have no idea why someone would even think these changes would be a good idea, linked at the bottom is a video that clearly shows these problems.

On an additional note, I would like to say that many animators I see in animation communities almost always use R6 over R15 for multiple reasons such as style, posing, and how rough the R15 body looks when compared the cleaner, simpler R6 style.

Watching my years of animation work be taken by roblox and destroyed by the corporate, dystopian landscape of the modern, investor-first Roblox culture has been devastating for me, and I’m sure this has also impacted a ton of other people as well.

When Roblox claims they’re “Preserving the R6 look and feel”, similar to their supposed “98%” statistics, this is an outright lie that nobody should take at any value.

problems with this update

2 Likes

Ok Roblox, I agree to delete R6 if you guys fix R15 making it a skinned rig by default, this is the only reason that I hate R15, the joints are weird and it makes everything is terrible visually because you cant animte the character without it having weird corners

4 Likes