RDC 2020 Status Update

I don’t think so, I’m sure they allowed UK but no other.

Nevermind, UK is no longer permitted to fly to United States, aswell as other major countries surrounding EU.

1 Like

The news have been pretty misleading on how long the ban period lasts. However (assuming they don’t extend it), the current period is 30 days. This is very similar for any mass gathering restrictions within California.

I’m from Britain myself, and as far as I’m aware, nothing has changed in regards to how I’ll get there, it’s just a matter of whether that restriction will still be around or not.

2 Likes

Without being political, it might be wishful thinking to believe that COVID-19 will be under control in the USA by July. It might be too soon to say, but remember to use your common sense and prioritise your health (and more importantly for young people, public health and the health of those close to you) over attending any sort of event.

3 Likes

the bloxy awards going to be? i hear that the records already done. but i also hear that all the admins at their houses now so there is going to be bloxy awards this year?

For all of the concerned folks here, we really need to stop panicking over COVID-19. There are tons of bugs floating around that have been killing people for years.

You can check for yourselves that the most affected individuals are elderly with underlying health problems; the younger population is similar - most of those that are severely affected have other health conditions.

Just to make things clear, for all of you who just love to read off numbers about Corona, stop it with the statistics tunnel vision. Influenza stats have been documented for years, and we already have flu shots to counteract its spread and effectiveness. Why don’t we act with the same haste for the flu if it’s knocking out tens of thousands of people in the US per year?

Perhaps we don’t have a vaccine for COVID-19. But the fact is, most people are recovering fine. By shutting things down I think we are causing more panic and are exposing those who are at the highest risk, just to protect ourselves.

I agree with the RDC stance. July is a long time from now and even then, I think the media and political panic is making the situation to be worse than it really is. I understand people are dying, thousands have died and it’s the saddest thing. But I just want to know why people don’t act like this for the flu which kills hundreds of thousands around the world every year.

Thank you for being straightforward and logical in your decision, Roblox. It’s nice to see some clarity about a virus on a game development site.

3 Likes

It’s not my job to explain to anyone ignorant about novel coronavirus how much it has affected public life already, but July really isn’t that far out considering this started in China in December, or some reports of 17th of November at the earliest. If you are financially struggling, I would not advise purchasing an RDC ticket or a plane ticket at this moment as preparing with food and other needs is more important.

It is irresponsible to downplay the impact of COVID-19 (as it is irresponsible to monger fear). It is an undeniable fact that COVID-19 has put significant pressures on medical systems in severely impacted areas, and unless early measures are taken to slow down the spread of the virus, the pressure in some areas will only rise. In my own country, hospitals are already overwhelmed on a yearly basis by the upcoming winter flu season, let alone adding a novel virus to the mix.

It might be easy for us to disregard our personal risk, which is almost certainly minimal for most of the users on this forum, but please think about hospitalised individuals with respiratory complications who risk not having sufficient medical resources available before you jump to declare that we’re making too much of a fuss. I am not suggesting that you go and hoard things, only that you listen to the advice of health professionals, and realise that you have a responsibility to public health.

4 Likes

I think it’s good to be careful, but don’t panic and stay rational.

If staff says there is no reason to cancel RDC at this point then there is no reason to speculate it will be cancelled later on. Nobody here can predict what governments around the world will decide. It’s still four whole months to go.

None of us are medical experts and I don’t think people come to this announcement to read in-depth discussions about how COVID affects the world – much better and reputable sources online to look up that info. Best keep it focused on RDC.

6 Likes

What does it mean if I got invited in wave 2 for the past 2 years. But haven’t gotten an invite yet…

… I lied, just went and checked my main email again (not associated with anything Roblox) and searched for Roblox and sae an invite from March 4th

1 Like

Yes, I know the news has been misleading and the ban period as of what we have been told by the governments, ban period being 28 - 30 days as of 14 March.

I’m also from Britain.

1 Like

Hope, they’ll get better soon ;((

this is sad hear it

Let’s just hope it doesn’t end up having to get cancelled, even though airports all across the globe (Including mines. ;-; ) are getting closed to prevent this virus from spreading.

Will invitations at RDC be limited this year due to the recent events? Or are you all looking to keep the same amount or even more people to come this year?

I personally feel that if any plans to cancel do occur that RDC can be easily live streamed as well as those developers who were originally supposed to come can participate using different online methods.

What will applications need to look like, are you looking for skill or money? Do you just need to verify we are actual developers? Where is the bar here, I’d really love to go and could go.

2 Likes

The application tends to involve showing off examples of work. If you have a game, or 3D models or anything that you can show, you can link them all in the application.

It’s usually fairly structured, like a form you have to fill out, so you’ll know exactly what you need to do when it gets released.

The only area you’d need to pay in is when you are buying the tickets, and this would be after your application or whenever you get an invite.

3 Likes

In money I was meaning how much money you make off your games, sorry If I came off like I was trying to bribe them. :smile:

1 Like

Fair point…

1 Like

Thank you regarding this, I hope RDC 2020 doesn’t get cancelled, but at the same time, I still don’t want anyone to get very ill. Thank you for the information otherwise! :mask: :+1:

2 Likes