Re-surface the Respawn Character button

Recently the main engine menu within games was given a refresh. Overall it’s a lot less cluttered which is great, however I’m not a fan of the fact that the Respawn Character button was relocated behind a tiny ‘More Options’ button next to the large ‘Leave Game’ button. Adding friction to the respawn functionality is going to hurt player retention all around.
For new players, the added friction means they may not even know they have the option to respawn, and will opt to full-on leave the game if they find themselves stuck as the new menu layout encourages them to do.
For experienced players, especially younger ones, the menu layout encourages leaving over respawning and will harm retention among these players even if they don’t actively realize they’re being pushed to leave instead of respawn.

As a developer that’s working to improve retention and session length in my own experiences, I’d appreciate it if the menu layout were altered to encourage retention by offering players a more obvious, direct button for respawning their character that isn’t hampered by the friction that comes with hiding it in sub-menus.

60 Likes

Completely agree with this, I can see hiding the reset button frustrating some players a lot. Bit disappointing that we weren’t forewarned/consulted about this pretty large change to the user experience in game.

2 Likes

This has been slowly rolling out since December, 2020 (a whole year ago!). You can still manually opt out of this change since it is in Beta. So I’m not sure how you can be better “forewarned/consulted” about this, since we’ve had ~ a year to give our feedback on it. Keep in mind it’s still in beta, so you can still provide feedback on anything you don’t like!

How were we “forewarned” about this if it was only rolled out to select people? You can’t reasonably expect people to be looking out for posts about an issue they’re not even aware of.

3 Likes

Neither of these announcements are clearly indicated as being for the main menu on the default Roblox client, so your assertion that we should’ve just known about this already is not helpful, as is telling us to leave feedback on a thread that’s already leaving feedback.

2 Likes

Definitely agree that this should be moved back into its own explicit and immediately visible button. It’s dangerous to assume young players will be able to find this button and won’t instead just rejoin and get frustrated, or outright leave.

9 Likes