Reactions potential feature?

Discourse has an official plugin for reactions and I was wondering if it’ll ever be added since it’ll allow more expressions and less spam/replies within topics.

12 Likes

Needs to be added ASAP,

Yes i don’t need to start an argument with some random guy anymore, i can just do

💀
7 Likes

Wasn’t there a feature request talking about this? IIRC, they made it with the same purpose to reduce the number of spam replies by using diverse reactions, instead of only a heart like

4 Likes

Do you know the link to it? I want to see.

1 Like

I, unfortunately, do not have the URL link since the post is no longer visible within this subcategory (#forum-help:forum-features). When this happens, an engineer might have to modify the settings of the communication and visibility of the topic.

2 Likes

They won’t add it because the Devforum isn’t “social media”

6 Likes

What could go wrong with adding it

Dev Forum Isnt Social Media

Well it sorta is

Scrolling

And there is comments, likes, follows (like subscribers)

The only thing is that instead of videos its text, although some posts have videos
And another thing its a place where arguments and helpful topics form :smiley:

3 Likes

I second this, DevForum is focused towards the discussion, sharing the knowledge and techniques between us as developers, it’s kind of a professionalism atmosphere you could say (hence why community guidelines would sort of clash with this as social media tends to have a more relaxed rules strict-level and a broader range of topics which often do not fit in this)

Now it wouldn’t be a bad idea to use this specific feature:
276fbfe8d51f613ddef486b3801fcccef69e17b5

Surely they could change the emotes or shift it to buttons, e.g - “Helpful Comment” where the :heart: reaction is (sort of an alternative for “Solution” whereas many others leave tips that also help but you can only grant one solution.)

3 Likes

Instead of asking “What could go wrong?”, it’s more like asking “What’s the problem here?”

When creating feature requests on the Roblox Developer Forum, especially on the forum itself, the problems we share, and specifying why and how they affect us, we must consider whether it’s worth pursuing.

If adding more reactions will cut down spam replies inside topics, it would be great to understand more about how you came up with this conclusion. Maybe with a little more information and some arguments explaining your idea, that could help the employees to understand your vision and how it would improve the overall experience for everybody on the DevForum! :smile:

1 Like

I think the heart is all-encompassing.

2 Likes

Second this. A heart can be used if you like the post, have read the post (eg PM), find the post funny, learned something new, etc.

A like is always positively charged. Other reactions like an angry smile are negatively charged, and better fit in a new reply rather than passive-aggressively with a reaction.

This topic has been discussed multiple times, the biggest thread is this one:

5 Likes

Would like to see reactions on DevForum. We’re using it on https://forum.pretendo.network currently and allowing people to use a few basic reactions would be much better than just nothing.

I was trying to react to a message the other day on DevForum since I’ve been using that space lately and I forgot that DevForum doesn’t support reactions!

Other forum software like Xenforo have reactions built in also (as far as I know anyways, I’ve seen it on ISPR and GBAtemp forums), I don’t see any reason why DevForum shouldn’t have it.

I weakly disagree. Even though Roblox should add the Discourse Reaction Plugin to prevent (spam) replies within topics, people might unnecessarily react (e.g., :+1:, :-1:, :skull:, etc.).

3 Likes

You only have a limited set of emojis anyways. I can only choose from a few on another forum, and none of them are really negative.

Admins can customise what emojis to display through settings anyways: Discourse Reactions - Plugin - Discourse Meta.

I came up with this conclusion since when I was looking through posts people were saying
thanks Extra charsssss
So with reactions they would just be able to do 👍 on a reply
This would make posts way more not complicated to read through

This post is a bit dead...

How is this any different than giving a like to the post?

Giving a heart is exactly for the “it is helpful” case, a thumbs up would be the same but just less friendly.

Heart is like Helpful
Thumbs up is like Ok

I’d love to see a reply from a staff’s point of view on this feature!

cc
@Hooksmith

This feature request lacks description of the problem that has to be solved.

Try to write problem statements instead of proposed solutions, this makes it more likely for your problem to be solved. Right now it’s impossible to know if this solution would actually solve your (and others’) underlying problems, or if there’s a better solution we could think of, or if the problem is impactful at all.

1 Like