Recent Toolbox Improvements

Hey Developers!

If you haven’t noticed already, we recently made some improvements to our Toolbox. We are making these improvements so that you, as Developers, can access and utilize assets in more efficient ways to make bigger and better games.

In case you missed it, here’s a recap:

Right-click Context Menu

• Copy Asset ID
  • Copy Asset URI: This will give you the URI rbxassetid://…
  • View in Browser: Go directly to the item page on roblox.com

context%20menu

Search Improvements

• We updated our search algorithm to now show you better results!
  • Search bar will clear searches between sessions

Miscellaneous Updates

• Inserting a skybox puts it directly into lighting
  • Decals have been renamed to Images

Bug Fixes

• Users can now properly vote for assets using thumbs up/down

We have more exciting new updates coming to Toolbox soon so stay tuned!

129 Likes

Thank you updating the search algorithm. I’m tired of seeing stuff pop up that’s not even relevant to what I searched! :smiley:

29 Likes

Thanks for the improvement this will be so usefull now to make UIs! Keep up the good work guys!

It appears my searching woes are going away now, thanks for this update!

The update (not this one but moving to a Lua toolbox) removed the functionality of viewing an author of a model’s inventory by clicking their name. This was pretty useful and it’s a bit annoying that it’s gone. I hope this will be added back.

29 Likes

I appreciate this but is the searching really that much improved? I notice in the second image you get a “Night Sky” model that has nothing to do with what was searched (“Tree”).

In an ideal world that model wouldn’t show up :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I really miss the ability to press on the creator and see more items created by that person. Hoping that functionality makes a return too. I also think the search algorithm needs way more work

13 Likes

Maybe the description contains a lot of random tags and one of the tags is “tree”?

We have a plan to address viewing a creator’s items in a future update. Stay tuned!

16 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

1 Like

I had no idea how much I needed the right-click context menu until it came out! Often I encounter incredible meshes or scripts that I might want to use later, but had no easy way to retrieve the URL or inspect the creator’s other work.

1 Like

Will “Browse by creator” ever be a thing in Studio’s toolbox?

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been reported before but since last week my toolbox only show blank spaces.rob

3 Likes

Most likely related to:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/regression-toolbox-text-labels-are-now-long-programmer-like-identifiers/230973

If I had to guess, it’s probably localization related whether you see empty or programmer-like strings. Please comment on that thread if you have more information (not here, off-topic here).

4 Likes

Directly copying asset id’s will save me so much time. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! The improved searches will be an incredible help in finding assets!

Honestly, this is something we needed to have for a while. It’s going to be so much easier to do things now that it won’t just show completely random things that don’t even relate to what I was looking for!

Will the updates to the searching carry over to the website as well? At the moment, searching for anything on the website is a pain…

1 Like

Copying the asset id straight from toolbox will save soo much time, thanks Roblox!

1 Like

Amazing update, will really save time and headaches. Thank you!