Regarding the recent announcement

Hi,
As you all know about the recent announcement about Tommy Tallarico incident, the post made was not made according to the rules. How is it possible that this one guy is above the rules? If you advertise a person’s products here, why can’t we do it? Why do we get termination or moderation action? This was a unprofessional announcement to be done. What’s more, it’s being done through the Roblox account!

To the DR team: The Post made wasn’t even relevant to announcement category. Reconsider it.

16 Likes

The post was made by @ Roblox, the one who created the devforum using Discouse…

I do agree though, there shouldn’t be an advertisement in Announcements.

It would be better if it was in updates and in community. (Not your post)

Agreed. for announcements, you expect important updates, not an ad.

Roblox’s hand was probably forced here as part of a legal agreement between the company and Tommy.

7 Likes

Roblox was probably forced to do this. Tommy Tallarico literally owns the oof sound, so I’m guessing it was part of a deal they made.

I was a bit disappointed though. Usually anything posted in announcements can be used for free, so I when I read the title I was expecting free sound effects. I don’t have $250 to spend on sound effects, and especially not from the guy who’s getting the oof sound removed from Roblox.

2 Likes

I think you are missing the main point that @blitzahon is trying to make. Yes, Roblox owns this forum. However, I think the point that is trying to be made here is that by Roblox doing this they are showing an open, saddening, and disappointing lack of integrity combined with an overall disrespect to the professional developer community.

We as developers depend on this platform, and because of this, we expect integrity to be upheld within this platform. I don’t think anyone expected that it would be Roblox that would in fact need to be uploading their own integrity, not the users.

For me, this is concerning. Roblox has shown erratic behavior as a company recently imo. They have been doing a lot of odd things, following weird paths, often not knowing which path they are really aiming for, etc. This ultimately leads me to be concerned about the company and platform, especially considering this platform we are supposed to trust is about to go public which may possibly result in major changes. Generally speaking, if a company is off track and struggling to find their path before going public, they could continue to only cause more disaster in the future.

This alone is an understandable action, however, it isn’t like we developers got to hear the legal side of this. Regardless, this combined with the many problems Roblox has is… well, it’s not that great.

I think a lot of developers are concerned that Roblox is showing the behavior of being a sell-out, a hypocryte, and ultimatly a greedy corportation.

6 Likes

I don’t think Tommy till date showed proof that he owns oof sound.

I want to point out that it doesn’t matter what you think about who owns the oof sound, it matters what agreement Tommy and Roblox came together on, to come to a compromise. Roblox would not remove the oof sound unless Tommy came up with better evidence than “I say I own it.”

Neither party got 100% what they wanted, but each came to a solution that would mutually benefit both of them…without considering whether it would benefit the community (developers).
Which is my biggest issue.

Tommy, who had yelling contests on twitter with 9 year olds, made indiscriminate fun against the Roblox community as a whole, suddenly gets his own post notifying the majority of the Dev forum blabbing about how great he is when he doesn’t even play Roblox? Ok, fine. I can stomach that.

But creating a giant competition for budding, talented SFX Roblox designers? Roblox is aware that any post they make in the announcement channel gets reshared, recorded, and viewed thousands upon thousands of times, reaching potentially millions of people (think youtubers), who will buy Tommy’s sounds without considering commissioning an actual Roblox developer? Damn, that’s painful, especially since this forum is supposedly dedicated to developers themselves.

Roblox can break their own rules for all I care, but I hope they understand how much this can hurt people that were planning on making a career out of Roblox just to get outcompeted by an already established, irrelevant creator.

Really makes us feel second-class.

13 Likes

They could even just move it to #updates:community (since the post said he’s now “part of the creative community” or whatever) and it’d be fine. I don’t see why it’s an announcement.

7 Likes

Sadly, this post is most likely being ignored by the DET team…

Roblox should really use #updates:community for stuff like this. They messed up once, and they messed up again. A topic that wasn’t even an announcement was posted in #updates:announcements. It even got to the point where it got hidden by flags:

8 Likes

I think maybe the Tommy Tallarico should be flagged. I don’t think it belongs in #updates:announcements. I think maybe #updates:release-notes if they still wanted to keep it despite our complaints.

Incorrect. #updates:release-notes are for Roblox updates / versions that are released “every” week and nothing abut complaints, something about that announcement doesn’t belong there at all.

IMO, it should belong in #updates:community as it’s basically a community thing for developers. :thinking:

4 Likes

First of all I would just like to point out that Roblox may have posted this following the news of Roblox, Tommy and the copyright incident.

In regards to the following:

I doubt anybody was forced to post this announcement. It’s not really “the most unprofessional announcement” because the announcement dirst of all, is an announcement, it’s news Regarding Roblox. Saying its “the most” is a bit exaggerated.