Release Notes for 637

any insight on how FromValue is arrived at?

only wondering bc use a binary search on a cached Enum.wxyz:GetEnumItems() since the return value is sorted in order of the enum values. id love to ditch what im currently doing if Enum.wxyz:FromValue() has the same lookup cost

5 Likes

Yeah, the fix was to copy something in roblox chat for a while, glad its fixed.

5 Likes

It sounds like it’s the same, but it will mean that if you want to find the parts that are just outside a part you can use the tolerance with getPartsInPart instead of getPartsInBox with the size increased by the tolerance.

4 Likes

After so many years… of painful workarounds to get rotated elements to clip… finally… we have it…

Just one question, I remember seeing many engineers talking about this issue as something that may not get fixed so soon, how did u guys do it lol?

7 Likes

I’m so so so glad you guys realized the importance of fixing this issue, while canvas groups do have their uses, having to use them to just get around the clipping problem was definitely overkill nvm :(

Pretty happy for this one as well

4 Likes

Hi developers, just to clarify for this release note, this change is to fix an issue that rotated bounds are not used to determine whether a descendant will be clipped. (i.e. CanvasGroup clipping doesn't account for rotated shape of frames) that applies to both CanvasGroup and other GuiObjects such as frames/scrolling frames. We have not yet worked on adding clipping for rotated cases for other objects other than canvas groups, but we would note down that this is a popular feature developers want moving forward. Thanks.

21 Likes

This is so disappointing ahh :sweat: - thanks for the clarification anyways!

9 Likes

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is then😔

7 Likes

This is huge, as the AudioListeners weren’t working for me sometimes and it was really confused great to see it fixed!

6 Likes

my days of cmd /c "echo off | clip" are finally over

4 Likes

If Compatibility lighting were to be deprecated, a lot of older games, with the developer(s) being absent, will likely and unfortunately break.

I have created a game called YouTube Tycoon, which uses Compatibility for that 2016 Roblox vibe, and also because all lighting is glitched with any other type.

(Edit: Fixed wording)

5 Likes

I remember reading somewhere they were going to replace it with a “retro” technology that would look similar but with modern code. I could have misinterpreted that though.

4 Likes

deprecated just means its not recommended to use, not that it will stop working,

4 Likes

Specifically the key with deprecated stuff is that we generally ensure that it continues to work as it did, but make no guarantees about it continuing to work correctly alongside newer features.

11 Likes

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

13 Likes

sounds like you’re describing compatibility lighting itself, the original lighting technology (legacy) has been removed for a while and replaced with compatibility, which is basically an imitation of legacy but with some future-is-bright lighting code

1 Like

Oh yeah, as an additional release note, kick messages support new lines (/n) again :partying_face:

6 Likes

Still waiting for my UI masking I asked sbout like 6-7 years ago in here haha.

2 Likes

Is that why this was happening??!

The word “migration” makes me feel like they want to completely remove it not just deprecate it. They have used the word “migration” when describing the release of “shorelines” and “old water deprecation”, which is actually going to be completely removed not just kept like the Legacy chat system or JointsService. It would be better if they use the word “deprecation” for features that are going to stay but would be no longer in development and wouldn’t get updates and use the word “removal” when they’re actually going to remove something. I don’t get why do they use the same word for different meanings or context.

3 Likes