Releasing Character Physics Controllers

This is really good, one of the first major improvements/updates to humanoids in a while, thank you :+1:

12 Likes

I like how we are getting more control over how humanoids interact in our games, and it’s always nice to have more control over built-in game behavior in general. No longer will players cheese slippery surfaces by jumping!

15 Likes

Instantly realizes the possibilities for my Sonic fangame

Jokes aside, good update. People have, however, been wondering if this is one of those steps towards having an excuse for sunsetting R6. Is this necessarily true?

13 Likes

Will there ever be replicated impulses, so that jumps can affect parts not owned by the client? Or does that have to be implemented manually?

5 Likes

It shouldn’t. Pathfinding doesn’t care about the agent in any way other than how big it is, and whether it can jump and climb trusses.

5 Likes

A Script is now required to set-up characters with ControllerManagers to give as much control to developers as possible.

6 Likes

Awesome update! I’ve been waiting for an update like this for quite a while. Keep up the great work Roblox!

5 Likes

how can we bring back the default truss behavior? i hate the new “momentum” and jumps being disabled

4 Likes

Does this mean characters will stop sliding on moving parts like trains, buses, planes and whatever???

3 Likes

yeah, that means they will attach properly!

3 Likes

Yay.

Will there be an option to have this humanoid as default?

4 Likes

is there an option to disable this push-off thing

10 Likes

Would this enable a player to walk on walls or upside down on a ceiling? Being able to set a vector force for gravity against the player’s root part would enable a number of interesting play scenarios.

One of which (there was a post where someone was asking about this some time ago) is you can have a large planet (sphere) and the players can walk all over the planet, including the bottom of it, hanging upside down. By manipulating the camera, the player would see things right side up.

2 Likes

They are indeed planning to make this happen.

3 Likes

Sometimes while walking on wedges with high friction, your character gets stuck in this weird mid-air-like state.

Is this intended?

4 Likes

thank you! I have curious for a long time for when will this release. I am about to write Hacky humanoid script for manual physic. Lucky that I notice update

2 Likes

I am in need of what GroundController does for animals in game cuz I don’t want to raycast all the time as they move, thank you. Though I made the part drop from a height and the controller stopped working out of nowhere, then when I clicked Stop on Studio, it crashed.

The GroundController stops working when the part under it gets deleted.

Could GroundController have a way to ignore objects? I don’t know if this uses Raycast internally, but if so, could there be a RaycastParams that is set as a property which is then used…?

I still don’t know how to use the ControllerPartSensor since I didn’t get any sort of result from it, am I expecting it to always show a part in SensedPart if there is a floor under the right distance? Cuz if so it isn’t happening.

1 Like

Does this let you change the HumanoidRootPart hitbox? :thinking:

Without messing with the hip height or something, and create AABB?

2 Likes

I have some questions about this new addition to Roblox startercharacters.

1. What changes will we expect when the promised duck and crouch from RDC 2023 are released for developers?

2. Will this, at some point in the future, become a normal addition to avatars and already be able to easily be put together through studio on its own?

3. When the non-beta version of this is released, can we be provided with a guide on the Roblox Creator Hub?

5 Likes

this is a new toy to mess with haha thanks :slight_smile:

also, is this a bug or i have to configure it?

2 Likes