Removal of Advertisements from the Games Page

I can agree with this, some of the ads we’re big nonons.

2 Likes

That’s the only reason people ran rectangle ads. Well rip…

4 Likes

They didn’t completely remove it, if you scroll down to player’s profile you can see the rectangle ads there.

1 Like

Ads are now more useless based on my experience/stats.

2 Likes

Won’t this practice drive up the robux per click rate for sponsored games? :frowning:

5 Likes

It was only removed on the games page

1 Like

My main concern is about new games trying to gain exposure. Advertisements, while it depends on the time of day and how much you bid, are a good way to get the game seen. This was the case on the Games page: people are looking for games to play, so when you see an advertisement and it seems like what you want to play at that moment, you are more likely to click it.

I am glad this change is made because there were a lot of terrible, poor-quality ads on the games page.

Since Roblox doesn’t like to revert decisions (Roblox would be as likely to revert this as the Titans winning the Superbowl), is there a plan to create a way for games to gain more exposure?

11 Likes

Interesting choice, I’m glad it’s going to be universal across devices

1 Like

Ads are still shown on other pages though, so how is their reign over?

3 Likes

Yes, however, it’s already been driving up throughout the years. More players causing more opportunity causes more developers to take a loss on sponsoring every now and then to keep their game out there. The nature of more games becoming “profitable” by running sponsored game ads is really what causes the robux per click cost to go up. If someone continuously loses Robux by running their sponsored ads, they can’t do it anymore.
The real drive up of that ratio is more well monetized games coming out and wanting to advertise

5 Likes

Not a fan of this change. I am a heavy user of ads, and box ads are now pretty much useless as the only place they are shown is below a player’s stats on their profile, which is rarely seen. Might as well try to find another place to stick them, or just remove them entirely.

8 Likes

Yeah but who scrolls down just to see adverts?

The worst part is the wrong CTR and estimated impressions data we are about to get because people who see a profile page will technically see an advert, but they won’t in practice as most of the time they won’t be scrolling down.

8 Likes

Presumably going forward they will start removing or replacing web advertisements with “features that work across platforms”. They might not necessarily remove user made ads entirely, but at the very least they will change them drastically.

4 Likes

Why not just create an option in Game Settings if you want to have Ads or not.

1 Like

I’m curious about the motivation behind this. I have some suspicions but a proper answer would be appreciated.

6 Likes

That defeats the purpose of an advertisement. If you don’t want to look at them, which understandable most people don’t, then run an adblocker. However, advertisements should not be hidden, as they are great exposure for games, and by removing ad spaces, it removes opportunities for newer and older developers alike to expose new and upcoming games.

7 Likes

Web ads don’t work on any platforms aside from the website. They are also extra content that needs to be moderated. Seems like a good decision to phase them out in place of something that works on all platforms and doesn’t necessarily require additional moderation.

2 Likes

There seems to be no incentive to advertise anything if the game page (where 99% of the people look at) removes ads. Having repetitive ads is one thing, but to completely remove it is a whole different level. This ruins chances of being successful for any up-and-coming studios that want a chance to have their game get advertised. I understand when people say that they’re tired of seeing the same ads, but there can be another solution to that problem; not just completely taking ads off.

14 Likes

This is a change to the website, not games. Please fully read posts before replying.

1 Like

There’s low quality ads (which are fine) and then there’s stretched pictures from Google or other copyright images (which are not fine).

4 Likes