As you know, we announced late last week that we made further changes to the playability of Experimental Mode games. This change was not intended to be the answer to removing Experimental Mode, but rather a transitional step while we worked on a permanent solution.
As of today, all games on the Roblox platform are now set to Non-Experimental Mode, and all future games will be Non-Experimental Mode by default. Experimental Mode has been entirely discontinued, and we want to emphasize how this change positively impacts the platform:
- The industry standard in game design is to avoid the client being able to make changes directly to the server; to improve the safety and security of games on the Roblox platform, we have realigned to follow the industry standard.
- All of the classic games that were made unplayable for all users (except friends of the creator) are now open to visit again. Please note: these games may not work properly if they were created in Experimental Mode, but they are once again available to visit.
If you want to learn how to build games that work with a client/server model, we suggest reading the documentation found here.
We did not intend to keep all of the classic games that are beloved by our community unplayable forever; this was just a transitional stage in our process of making the platform safer. We have heard all of the feedback provided by the developers following the previous change, and have determined that setting all games to Non-Experimental Mode is the best way to make these games playable again, while still protecting the Roblox platform, players and developers.
We look forward to seeing the positive outcome this change has on the safety of our community.
Information for developers to keep in mind:
- The web site will still display the Experimental Mode tag; note that this is temporary. This will not affect the discovery of your game or who can play it.
- Studio still has the Experimental Mode setting.
- Developers who were previously affected by CreatePlaceAsync issue should have it automatically resolved. The game will still say that it’s experimental mode (which will be fixed soon), but the game will be playable
- If you publish a new game, it’s no longer necessary to play it once for other people to be able to play it
The Roblox Team