Removal of Experimental Mode

Does this affect Studio (starting a local server) too or only live game servers?

It affects Studio as well

2 Likes

The FE property is effectively deprecated.

It still returns whatever youā€™ve set it to, but actual filtering rules are always active.

Weā€™re likely going to display a warning in-game to users saying that the game might be broken, if the FilteringEnabled value in the place is false. This improves user experience.

22 Likes

This means so much to us older players! Thanks so much!

1 Like

Itā€™s kinda interesting that some old games still work to some extent. This is because they mostly use server scripts. We have some difference in UI behavior - in FE games generally speaking server scripts canā€™t handle button clicks, but weā€™re working on making this possible.

FWIW for beginner developers weā€™re recommending to start by writing all code exclusively using server scripts for the same reason, and only switch to local scripts gradually, plus weā€™ll be shipping easier APIs to do remote communication.

17 Likes

<3 <3 <3 This is awesome!

2 Likes

The biggest inconvenience that I have with remote communication is that weā€™ve got to use an actual instance to do it. Which means that weā€™ve got to find the instanceā€™s parents, make sure it exists, etc, from multiple scripts. I hope that whatever youā€™re talking about means a way to do remote communication without creating instances.

12 Likes

Would have been nice if this was communicated better. However Iā€™m not one to complain about a bump when in the end we got what we wanted.

It broke my heart to be locked out of my favorite classic (and favorite in general) games, and I can now sleep much more peacefully knowing that I can still walk through the hollowed remains and experience a part of the feeling of some of my most beloved memories and favorite all time experiences.

12 Likes

Finally! Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Would be nice for moderation to go through the games the put under review for being non-FE and re-open them now e.g.:

11 Likes

Words cannot express my gratitude. Ever since Experimental games underwent lockdown, Iā€™ve been bombarded with help requests by hundreds of different Groups. Iā€™m still going to release FE tech for them, but now thereā€™s less urgency and panic in the community.

1 Like

Thanks for noting it. We will look more into those games and update the thread once we have more information.

8 Likes

For anyone still using Robloxā€™s classic build tools, I have released the filtering compatible versions that I made for Super Nostalgia Zone. They are designed to be safe against practical exploits!

The original HopperBins will no longer work online, since they are 100% clientside.

24 Likes

This is cool, too, I guess.

This is frustrating, for some of us still. I personally donā€™t have the coding experience or time due to having a job and such to dedicate any significant amount of time to amending my games to FE compatible code. The game Iā€™ve been working on tirelessly for 5 years or so now is completely broken now and I donā€™t have the time to re code the whole entire game from scratch. Thanks.

4 Likes

How significant would you say the damage is?
Is it unable to comply with the server/client model, or is it just minor quirks?

1 Like

Pretty much every script, gui, and vehicle is broken. The only thing working is an intro camera script.

1 Like

We have spoken, and Roblox has listened.

I am hugely thankful of you, Roblox, for deciding to make the change to this update. You have just saved Robloxā€™s culture by doing this, and you have made the FE process so much simpler and secure for all Roblox users.

For all of you scripters that have had their coding bugged by the FE, I apologize for the work you are going to have to put in to make your scripts FE compatible, but this change, I believe, is personally for the better. Let us hope that you will be able to fix your games with the auto-FE feature, and let us hope FE may one day be updated so that it has a smaller chance of braking code.

Do you have a link to this game?

Yeah, this one here:
Wolf Ridge Bike Park

iā€™m really upset to see this broken, itā€™s the only thing thatā€™s kept me on this site trying to make games.

1 Like