Remove publishing restrictions for non up-to-date Packages

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use the Packages feature as Studio requires each and every package in your game to be published and up-to-date before you can publish a place.

This is a massive nuisance for multiple reasons:

• It makes iterating on an in-progress update in private test environments incredibly difficult. Because Studio has no teleporting functionality, my team is forced to publish our in-progress builds to live private games in order to properly test them as we work. Because Studio requires all packages to be published before you can publish your place, it requires my team to juggle publishing every package in our experience in their unfinished states just to test them. It’s terrible UX and slows us down significantly.

• Packages are horrendously finicky when it comes to determining what constitutes an ‘updated’ package, resulting in situations like this where you can’t even keep your packages up to date. PackageLinks keep registering changes that didn't happen This is a massive blocker for development.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I’d be able to iterate on my in-development builds quicker, and I wouldn’t be constantly stranded by Studio’s hyper-sensitive change registration.

9 Likes

The removal of this restriction is in-progress! We can’t give a definite timeline for when it will be removed, but I can assure you it is a high priority for the packages team.

3 Likes