Request to increase AvatarEditorService global-limit for Kreekcraft partnered experiences

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use AvatarEditorService in our experiences due to it’s global default rate-limit. Because our experiences are funded by and partnered with Kreekcraft we regularly see influxes of concurrent users into the thousands.

We have attempted to mitigate this issue by moving the catalog feature into it’s own experience (temporarily dubbed the “Dancing Game”) but we have still had to resort to external rotating proxies. The problem with this workaround is that the requests sent through the rotating proxy cannot return personalised results. This significantly hinders our experience’s ability to provide the player with the most relevant selection of items.

Experience links:

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because we would be able to incorporate Roblox’s marketplace into an experience that regularly sees concurrent spikes greater than 10,000. Kreekcraft is set to resume the promotion of the game very soon and we would like our systems to be able to handle the influx of players.

7 Likes

This feels like a really specific proposed solution that doesn’t work for all creators.

You’re probably better off re-titling this like “Cannot use AvatarEditorService properly for large games due to inconvenient rate limiting”.

I’ll chip in an (IMO) more appropriate proposed solution: make this a rate limit that scales better with player or server count instead of a global default rate limit, like datastores and other Roblox cloud services.

10 Likes

This is the intended flow for requesting a rate-limit increase:

If you find that your experience requires an adjustment to this throttling, you can submit a feature request

Source: AvatarEditorService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

3 Likes

Are you saying individual creators need to (and/or should) submit feature requests to have increased limits?

To my question, there’s the angle of what you think Roblox is asking creators and then there’s your personal opinion generally. Could you respond with both angles? I’m trying to better understand the thread here.

Edit: Roblox does say “your experience” so I understand where the idea can come from.

Scaling for all is a better feature request than individuals needing to request for specific cases. A big reason is that not everyone has access to feature requests. It’s a niche issue (more popular games), but it’s an issue nonetheless.

That doesn’t really make sense, they should just scale it naturally like all other Roblox resources. Requesting an increase in rate limit once you hit some arbitrary threshold of players is not a “Roblox way” to implement that. It would force you to first have a broken game basically instead of Roblox handling this for you gracefully.

2 Likes

I agree with higher request rates for everyone, not for specific experiences.

I’ve also ran into some rate limits (429 Too Many Requests) with AvatarEditorService which seemed to be encountered by natural use, so increasing the rate sounds appropriate. It should,. infact, be based on requests per server and not requests per experience.

Though I don’t support your post, saying specific experiences should be eligible to higher rates.

As it seems to be a common question in this post, I want to make it clear that I don’t think we should have the global rate-limit and that; ideally all developers should benefit from a server-based limit instead. However, I made this post because it is the exact thing that Roblox recommends us to do through the documentation; create a post requesting a quota increase for our experience. Multiple others have made similar posts requesting an increase for their specific experience on this forum, too.

Several feature-requests already exist asking for Roblox to either change the way of which to request a rate-limit increase or outright removing the global-limit, I’d recommend showing these requests some love!

However, despite these requests being made, the limit has yet to be edited. It’s possible that, at least in the short-term, Roblox can only handle very select experiences receiving an increased limit, hence the less than ideal request method. Again, I’m not saying that it is good that it is this way, but rather that this is the predicament we are in. I’d recommend supporting the linked feature requests (or any other related ones) if you’d like to see that change.

3 Likes