Make AvatarEditorService have server level throttling

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use avatar editor service when it has experience-level throttling. If this issue were addressed, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to use the API without getting rate limited.

In my game, I use AvatarEditorService to get the information of different accessories that I don’t have cached so my game’s outfit creator can function properly. I need this information because I use humanoid descriptions to apply the accessories so I have to know what type of accessory it is. Every time I shutdown my game, I have to run :GetBatchItemDetails() on thousands of players which usually leads to 1-3 Http 429 errors per server. If the rate limit were per server, I wouldn’t have this issue because worst case on a shutdown I only have to do 25 batch queries for a 25 player server.

11 Likes

I agree with this.

One of the potential uses of the AvatarEditorService is an in-game catalog system. However, with this experience limit, I don’t think in-game catalogs will be possible for a large scale player base. It’s better if the throttling happens on the server level so the request limit can scale along with the number of players.

7 Likes

I agree.
Also, experiences with more players usually have devs that know what they’re doing and don’t spam requests?

2 Likes