Retaining High Fidelity Images

OH MY GOD. NO way! this will be SO helpful for me and so many otehrs

1 Like

This has been a massive gripe for me for a very long time now, it feels surreal that soon I’ll finally be able to upload high-quality images.

W Update.

3 Likes

same, i can finally make my planet textures look somewhat good to look at

1 Like

I agree with you, it’s cool that you can make high-quality textures.

3 Likes

you know what real developers (scripters) needs?? GPU API why? welp we can now make custom rendering system or make roblox even more realistic than before and other stuff

5 Likes

^^^^^^^ YES, it really would be a game-changer. However you can trust Roblox to lack any kind of competency so won’t be around any time soon.

4 Likes

please dont do this you will cook games memory

3 Likes

Does this mean there will be advanced graphics settings for more intense lighting and PBR textures?!

5 Likes

There is aleardy downscaller integrated in Roblox, so you can make as much as you want.

2 Likes

I fully agree, the compression is horrible and makes so many decals look hideous and only necessitates higher resolutions to reduce the impact the filter has, when such shouldn’t be necessary to begin with if this stupid filter did not exist. This filter and this new resolution cap is going to result in a LOT of wasted memory for Roblox.

5 Likes

It’s been 84 years! Thank you for this update!

4 Likes

Since higher texture resolutions means an increase in memory usage, a big one at that, with an 8k image taking up the same space as 64 1k images. This also means load times will be drastically increased, and many people wont have the memory capacity to store all these high fidelity assets in their RAM.

Are there any plans to add local caching of assets to the client’s drive? Players could essentially choose if they want to locally download a game’s assets and store them on their drive in order to drastically reduce loading times, as well as potentially streaming assets that aren’t being used, in and out of memory.

4 Likes

We appreciate your excitement around the high fidelity textures in-experience! We want to clarify that we have no timeline to support high-resolution images in-experience yet, and the immediate usage of high fidelity images is only for the creator store. Preserving high-fidelity images now will enable us to use them on compatible surfaces in the future.

19 Likes

I might actually cry, I’ve been waiting for so long.

4 Likes

This is amazing, can’t wait to try using higher resolution images!

2 Likes

And directly downloading the image still gives the 10942x16384 resolution image that’s probably way close to it’s original form.

I don’t know why, but I feel like almost all of GPU hardware in 5-year range supports 16384x16384 texture rendering, the lower end ones especially mobile supports at least 8192x8192.

Even the oldest GPU i have, Radeon HD 6570 (from late 2011!) supports 16384x16384 texture rendering.

Roblox should’ve given the texture limitation increase way earlier, but at least the upgrade is here.

1 Like

I’d say the same about clothing too, they get quite blurry

1 Like

will we receive some kind of graphic settings update? with how much stuff roblox adds over the year, I think it’s time to have a new tab for graphical settings if textures get larger

1 Like

why cant you just give us better resampling-modes already? its entirely worthless to be able to upload 8k images when you just resample it improperly

3 Likes

Will we at least be able to have to option to view the high resolution textures in Studio?

3 Likes