Retaining High Fidelity Images

That is amazing!!! I’m so excited!!! :awesomesauce:

I wonder how the scaling down will work for allowing players with less performant devices.

I don’t think mobile should be hard capped to a resolution, but I could see why that might be a direction to go in. I don’t know much of the technical side on this specific topic, but I assume the system would check to see if the player is lagging (and if that due to wifi or maybe a specific aspect of a game).

so Roblox is increasing texture size resolution, but not letting us choose to do pixel art textures on mesh and decals ?

• Is there any plan on releasing Nearest Neighbor?

26 Likes

With the addition of higher resolution images, does that mean we can expect to see higher image size increases too? Right now I’m pretty sure the max image upload size is 20 MB. I have had PBR textures that are only 1k in resolution have components that are over 20 MB, so seeing a size increase with the resolution increase would be an amazing addition.

1 Like

This has literally made my day!

1 Like

At last, we shall finally see partial justice for @Anaminus’s shack.png, which was a real 16k decal uploaded to Roblox back in 2014.

38 Likes

I’m going to guess probably not. Videos are significantly more expensive to hold as their storage size far exceeds those of images. But maybe keep your eyes out for video relating news, seems like in the past year Roblox has been trying a bunch of new stuff with images and video.

1 Like

I love the knowledge that you hold on Roblox’s history.

4 Likes

We can only dream. :pensive:

Though I subscribe to the belief that the more PBR functionality added to Roblox, the more freedom for expression the developer holds. However, I’m pretty sure height maps in particular are one of the more resource heavy aspects of a PBR texture, so theres a pretty solid argument why they would not be added to Roblox; an engine that doesn’t even let it’s self use that much GPU power.

2 Likes

WWWWWWWW
I really needed a higher image resolution cap for my world maps. This will benefit me greatly. No more do I have to split the map into 900 billion pieces.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, this is a really good step, however I really hope it doesn’t take too long for these higher quality images to be made usable in game where it would have the biggest impact.

1 Like

after this change, will we see a future update to an increase to the amount of tris a UGC can have?

Look into Local File Importer, it lets you upload test decals and sounds. Really helped me to get my train liveries right.

1 Like

This would make so much of a difference in terms of memory. Less space allocated to textures you arent using means more space that can be used to store bigger or more textures.

1 Like

Are video assets resolution improvement coming next within this year?

Beyond excited for this, what a surprise, thank you.

This is truly a certified :steamhappy: moment.

No wayyyyy, resolutions up to 8K?
This update is awesome!

A little message to all you devs out there though…

Please do NOT use 4K for everything.

I know having 4K textures is awesome, I can think of many usecases for them.
And I know some devs are going to be VERY excited that they can finally use 2K, 4K, 8K, etc.
But please for the love of everything, learn when to and when not to use 4K textures.

A good artist can make 1K or 2K textures still look very great, for very small props and objects 512p or 256p might even be more than enough.

Not everything needs 4K resolution for pretty details, it uses 16x the amount of memory at least and it can drastically decrease performance for your lower-end players.

I hope Roblox staff can soon come up with some kinda tutorial post about when you should or shouldn’t use high resolutions. :pray:

Anyways, this isn’t a complaint, more so just a little PSA.
I’m very happy with this!

10 Likes

This update is so good i literally don’t have words, thank you for finally letting us upload higher resolution images! I have one question about simmular topic. Whanever i want to import a texture through Material Manager i get an error

“Error uploading asset, responseCode 500”

This error occurs almost every single time, its so common that i just stopped importing textures through Material Manager and started using other methods to import textures. It can’t be because of texture that i want to upload or anything else from my side, i was restarting roblox studio, computer, router, nothing worked and from what i know i am not the only one having this issue, there is actually a lot of people having the same problem with uploaing any texture 1K,2K,4K, JPEG or PNG.
Couple months ago, before i took a little break from roblox studio, error wasn’t that common as it is now.

Would really appreciate response on this. Thanks!

2 Likes

Will we able to change resolution to 2K, 4K and 8K on basic roblox Materials?

2 Likes