Retaining High Fidelity Images

Roblox still supports the iPhone 5s with a grand total of 1GB of ram, OpenGL ES 3.0, and 16-32GB of memory

1 Like

Maybe if roblox optimized CPU usage a bit, it’s a CPU heavy game after all.

yeah no

phones dont have nearly enough ram or storage to facilitate texture streaming. I know someone who owns an M4 ipad pro and tried roblox on it, and the textures were still incredibly low resolution. This isn’t a texture streaming issue mind you, the low quality textures were present throught the game.

this isnt just a roblox issue either. there are many app store games that just use color pallets and reuse textues to keep memory consumption and storage space low

many mobile games have semi-decent res textures, not too sure what you’re talking about

3 Likes

can you mention any mobile games in specific, as well as their storage space and minimum hardware requirements and if there is any documentation of those games using textures higher than 1024*1024

also what do you mean by “semi-decent res textures” because thats a really broad term

I’m not necessarily invested enough in this to put forth the effort you’re asking of me, but if you’re looking for anything past 1k, I doubt there is much

From the way you framed your message, it sounded like every mobile game had garbage resolution (your words were incredibly low res), when in reality, 1024x1024 can look fine, and I would definitely not say it’s ‘incredibly low’, of course its far from a high definition size, but seeing as lots of people get around fine with this limit in roblox games, I’d say you can work with it

You’re the one who made the claim that mobile games have decent resolution textures; if you dont have any examples, I have reason to doubt said claim.

On the other hand, MarioKart Tour is a popular mobile game that uses color pallets, vertex colors and clever resuse of textures/PBR maps to save on storage space. An example of one of the tracks, Pirahna Plant Pipeline is seen below with the track HEVILY relying on vertex colors and a cavity map for shading.

Photos

No idea how you managed to interpret that from my reply but I never implied anything of the sort.

Yes, I mentioned that low resolution textures were present in Roblox. It was said in the same sentence from which you quoted me.

I’m not arguing that 10241024 textures are bad, the only reason I asked for a list of mobile games that had textures with resolutions higher than 10241024 is to show correlation between mobile hardware requirements and file size.

I don’t know what you thought I was talking about but by the looks of it you misread my replies. I am not complaing about texture limits, I am talking about why every device (specifically mobile devices) cannot stream high resolution textures.

isn’t roblox still a 32 bit program? meaning it can only use 4gb of ram?

Roblox has to live in the grave they put themselves in by being both popular on PC and on low end mobile devices. Maybe they should have the ability to only serve the lower resolutions to mobile players, but this isn’t the “yeah no” you think it is. Roblox’s graphics are already advanced enough that there are TONS of games that do not run well on old ipads. (Edit: isn’t the m4 ipad newer? What are we talking about anyways? You telling me a new ipad can’t handle roblox textures? lol)

it was made 64 bit a while ago

1 Like

thank lord, i would lag on some games because they had a bunch of textures but my pc had a 2060 back then with 32gb of ram :joy:

I think you should check your thermal paste.

1 Like

What do you mean by “live in the grave”?

This is exactly what Roblox does right now. I explained that Roblox textures appear at a lower resolution on mobile. This is because Roblox has already incorperated texture LoD’s and the mobile version (at least the one on the M4 ipad pro) is using those lower resolution LoD’s.

You contradict your 1st reply where you said:

So which one is it?

EDIT: nvm i didnt look at this closely enough. you didnt contradict yourself. sorry

If you didn’t know what I was talking about then you should re-read my reply because you’ve missed the point.

I said that even on the most powerful arm chip that’s been in mobile device, Roblox is still displaying lower quality textures to keep storage, ram, and other hardware requirements down for the sake of compatability with other devices. Roblox on mobile needs to have a small footprint because mobile decives on average do not have as much storage as PCs, and they are not used for the same purpose as PCs. When Roblox loads a game content is downloaded to the device and temporarily stored so that Roblox can load and unload assets including textures which explains the low texture LoD’s, as images can take up a significant amount of space compared to other things such as scripts or geometry.

1 Like

Right on time, I am making a flight sim and I won’t have to split my satellite world image into thousands of smaller images :slight_smile:

its clear that I misinterpreted your message’s intent
no argument there
thanks for taking the time to clarify everything, tho lol

1 Like

because its not important to the investors probably
because they matter more than the devs : D

While I understand that there is no timeline created for releasing these higher quality images to be used in experiences, is it at least planned to be released at some point? Or is it more like a we’ll test to see if we’ll even make that decision for these higher quality images to be used in-experience?

3 Likes

It had better be… Creator Store only is honestly pretty useless for developers

Yeah exactly, I was just looking for some clarification LOL.

Great change! Will there be a client-side option to limit the maximum image resolution for performance, and consequently reducing download size when limiting resolution? For instance, capping resolution to 1024x1024 for performance.