Roblox 2019 Events Update

Long-time Players quitting [because of the updates and maybe various reasons] I’m actually surprised you never heard about it.

(side note : I was one of these users who left after a certain update dropped and created much controversy but enough about my ramblings for now)

2 Likes

Not many costs to cut from events since they (correct me if I’m wrong) stopped paying the developers they hire to make event places. Not to mention that they get many sponsorships for events, meaning they get extra money on the side.

2 Likes

This is honestly a terrible idea on paper!
Seasonal events, such as the Egg Hunt provide the community with fun and engagement, even monthly events offer some sort of incentive.

There’s too much of a reliance on the developer to keep the Live-Ops events running.
Having a game for 24 hours on the Live-Ops section will be exactly like sponsoring your game. We also have a Featured Sort tab so I don’t see why this is needed.

Overall, I currently feel that Roblox has gotten so lazy with events over the years, that now zero resources are being put into helping these games get popular. I hope at least some of how this works has changed.

Events should be for the community, and not have such a big focus as to boosting Developer’s player retention numbers.

15 Likes

While I agree with what you said, Live-Ops may help new developers, like my self for example, get popular. You can’t really rely on the Featured tab to show new developers, as it always shows the exact same games by the same developers over and over again. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Sure, it helps new developers but more players are attracted to the larger games that they visit repeatedly over again. That’s why games such as Jailbreak and Dungeon Quest are as popular as they are, they have good retention and the ability to grind towards something.

That’s why all of the bigger games are featured and chosen for events, because they’re popular with the community and most importantly, they are well received.

Live-Ops will only offer a small boost to games for around 24 hours or so, and you’ll need to have a good update within the game, such as a prize (although not a catalog item) to keep people in it.

Live-Ops shouldn’t guarantee instant success or a boost in popularity for new developers, I think that games fresh out of development are more likely to not be chosen. I think the game should at least have a small core fanbase if Live-Ops is to give any benefit.

8 Likes

I’ve heard that Roblox may allow custom hats and accessories sometime in the future.

Going off of this reply, I believe that liveops is a precursor to the release of a public catalog that people can publish accessories on.

1 Like

If that is the case, Roblox should have stated that this is their intention and not that they encourage us to ‘add in-game prizes’ as they are ‘unable to provide catalog prizes for these community driven events.’

9 Likes

They said that when they removed tickets.

It’s been, like, 3 years

12 Likes

It’s not on the roadmap unfortunately so I doubt it’ll happen anytime soon.

1 Like

Wait, right. Yeah, game mechanics wouldn’t be copyright because nobody really can own that. Also, I suggest moving this conversation to a post thread more relevant, don’t think this is the right place to talk of copyright.

Ok, so i decided to give my opinion on this change.
Back in the time when this post was just published, i didn’t understand Live-Ops events at all, as far i understand it’s a feature that makes players encourage to continue playing your game with new content/features.

I didn’t notice that they were removing monthly events at the time this was published.

When i noticed it, i didn’t think it was that bad since most of the past monthly events were kinda boring for me, i didn’t find the prizes likeable at all, but i liked the ones on the Pizza Party event, the event was creative, but i think it didn’t got well received at the end. Most of the people (i guess?) complained because when you tried to join the people who give those dev/video star pizzas on these video stars launchers, in the majority of the servers, they went full on players a few seconds.

After one week of the original post was published, ROBLOX changed the description and said that they were removing monthly and seasonal events.

Like everyone thinks, this is a really bad decision in my opinion. The ROBLOX events goal was to get players to play random games and win prizes for their avatar. This was something good for the people who cannot buy Robux due to reasons. Completely removing events is no good, and there is only a few items that players can get for free at catalog. However if ROBLOX do more free items at the catalog eventually, such as these 2 international fedoras they give out, maybe this can be okay. And the other bad thing about removing seasonal events is because most of these events are that much players do. There is some people on my friends list who don’t really play frequently, and i saw some of them logged in to play the current event, the 2019 egg hunt. Plus, the Live-Ops events as far i know doesn’t give virtual prizes for the players’s inventory on the platform…

Conclusion

I think ROBLOX should change their minds and just replace monthly events and keep the seasonal ones. But i think this won’t will happen, since they already had the Live-Ops applications since when the post was published as i remember.

If you read this until the end, thank you.

19 Likes

Not really happy with this decision, but what can we do. :man_shrugging:

I remember prior to when I had bought BC. I didn’t have any intentions on buying it, and just wanted to play the game. The events had been a perfect way for me to find new gear, and keep me playing.

Flash forward, now obviously I’m not reliant on that. However, for the people that still used events, is there a potential to look into something to still help them out? Sure, developers can offer in game prizes, but those only go so far.

Hope something is considered to replace those catalog prizes. The Live-Ops idea doesn’t sound too appealing.

3 Likes

Will there be a lobby connecting all the games for live ops? If not can you please consider that because not all devs can get lucky and make successful famous games.

1 Like

Oh, that is actually a cool concept. Take it from NYDynamics, a lobby connecting all these Live Ops games would be cool. Maybe some quests to do there and fun things to get. I think lobbies connecting these games would be at least something decent.

1 Like

Mhm… I mean, I feel like our standing out opinions are ignored. These events built us a connection between the player base and the staff. Hate to see this gone. I love the fun in these events and they are now gone. Again, as stated many times, nobody cares about in-game items for games they don’t play. So really, this isn’t a bright idea.

8 Likes

Aye, thanks.

After looking into copyright a bit, someone mentioned that “You can’t copyright ideas or game mechanics.”, therefore you’re able to do something along the lines of turning a book into a game, however you’re unable to use copyrighted material (such as large chunks of text from the book depicting things, such as rules of a mini-game), without the permission of the copyright owner.

Using small snippets of copyright material, such as the names of said mini-games, are a “grey” area, where it could possibly be okay because of the “Fair use” exceptions, however it ultimately depends on the copyright owner and whether they want to file a law suit, so it’s better to change those.

Lots of games, in the real world, would declare ideas as “fair use”, though ultimately, we don’t know what they had in mind when they created that, so… I’m going to stop before I go on a rant.

In Short: It seems that concepts/mechanics aren’t copyrighted, though names, characters, texts etc can be copyright.

EDIT: Sorry if this is getting off-topic, just that its good for people to know about copyright. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That was me.

Correct. They can patent mechanics, IIRC, but not copyright them. Copyrights apply to complete products (like books, plays, etc.)

As has been established in other threads, fair use does not apply to Roblox due to TOS. Names probably would fall under trademarks but don’t quote me on that.

Note I am not a lawyer.

2 Likes

A lobby for something like this, especially an “official lobby” (i.e one that’s contracted out to be created by Roblox) would be really infeasible if the events shown on the live-ops page will be changing every 24 hours.

A community based one would be cool, but would probably be difficult to maintain as well considering that you’d have to update your game to all the new live-ops (and we don’t even know the max amount of live-ops that there can be on a single day!)

4 Likes

Mhm, I can agree with that. Unless… what if we could have teleporters that only teleport people to Live-Op games and update automatically when a new Live-Ops game arises. Would that be possible to script?

1 Like

I don’t understand why seasonal events like the egg hunt are being removed. The egg hunt is a great way for the whole Roblox community to engage with each other and with this years egg hunt, play games out of your comfort zone. The egg hunt is almost fully developer driven so I can’t see why it should be removed as it is a great way for these developers to showcase their skills.

I like the idea of having your games showcased in the live-ops page because it will enable smaller developers to get noticed. However will the Roblox community play these games just because they have an in game item to collect. I doubt they will because they will have no use for that item because they don’t even play that game. The monthly events however made players play games that they don’t usually play because they can get a free virtual item.

Free to play players are getting less and less way to get items to customise their avatars. Once the monthly and seasonal events have been removed the only way to get free items is by getting the select few free items in the catalog.

11 Likes