Roblox 2019 Events Update

I’m sure there is at least someone out there willing to fund the development to keep events alive but I could be wrong . I just hope ROBLOX will either allow top devs they trust to create catalog items as rewards for their game or even better is just keep seasonal events going (funded by ROBLOX ). Oh and thanks for the criticism :slight_smile:

Passion doesn’t pay bills, development of the egg hunt isn’t easy either. 2019’s egg hunt was an absolute disaster however 2018’s was simply amazing aside from the forced storyline driven gameplay.

Getting selected to build the level design used to be an accomplishment, however it clearly shows how little roblox cares about value after witnessing a large proportion of games being of quantity rather than quality.

I would’ve preferred not seeing lazy developers get rewarded in any shape or form, this is just ridiculous by how poorly structured and executed 2019’s egg hunt was. Roblox clearly isn’t trying anymore so I say good riddance if this is the expectations future events are expected to follow.

4 Likes
  • Roblox Events are no longer a thing (egg hunt, etc)
  • Developers can get their own events, without any roblox sponsorship, endorsed for a limited time (basically like a temporary feature)
1 Like

I don’t see any reasons behind why people hate this egg hunt due to it being a “dev hunt”. Even YouTubers are complaining about it being bad because it is spread on 40-50 games and that is no valid reason why it is bad (please don’t tell me you hate the hunt because the YouTubers hate it, it is just not a proper reason). Reasonable complaints go to the quality. I only don’t like the hunt because of the fact that there were so much bugs that you needed to contact dozens of developers to fix them. This sure got annoying but that is not something easy to deal with and testing is a lot harder than people can think. So really, dev hunts are different in a concept and I think different concepts of gameplay are good in their own ways. I surely liked this kind of egg hunt for the fact that it spreads on big games and surely can promote those kinds of games. So really, revenue and promotion as well as publicity. Good opportunities!

3 Likes

Mhm, and I couldn’t say this update is terrible because of what developers have done before. I won’t be against this update due to the success of what previous developers did when making custom events.

(moved from this other thread)
And so it begins. Is this all the response we’re getting?

There are many people here who are extremely concerned about this entire thing, as expressed below. I’m really concerned that there has been exactly zero response from anyone at Roblox about this. I don’t really have any issue with LiveOps itself but the execution is terrible.

Some valid concerns:

• what’s different about LiveOps to what developers already do?
  • is it worth it to go through this entire process for ‘exposure’?
  • will players actually care about these events, considering any and all benefits are locked to the single game?
  • why is Roblox substituting events, a much loved and praised feature, with LiveOps, considering all of the above?
  • why was this done without any community input?
  • why is no community input being taken now after a clear and very vocal outcry, and polls showing over 90% of players disagreeing with this change according to polls on these forums?
  • is anyone actually listening to any of this?

Do not make this lack of response the new normal.

16 Likes

From a first hand experience, a large chunk of the games are tedious and rng-based. You don’t feel immersed in the world and like you’re having an adventure, you feel like you’re just getting trolled by people who actually play the game (non-egghunt) and constantly being annoyed. The only real good part about this event is the avengers sponsorship, and even that has a lackluster ending (I can’t even wear the infinity gauntlet? Seriously?)

3 Likes

I don’t like how developers’ views have been ignored. Could we have some clarification on the problems that have been raised, or will they be disregarded? There have been some serious concerns brought up but someone is yet to say anything.

8 Likes

It was a good run. Over 9 years of events.

9 Likes

Mhm, I think that is obvious. Nobody likes that and I am sure the player base will only decrease severely. I mean sure, they read some of the views the developers here have to say but they must take some action that fits the needs of everyone. Developers need players to make money. Developers must be able to do what they can to make the money. So disregarding their views is destroying their career only a bit over time. I support ROBLOX and I always will as long as I am here but being disregarded is like an insult.

4 Likes

Profit is nice, but not always the solution. Where does the profit come from? The players. And they stay on the platform if they feel it is enjoyable. Regardless of the removal of the events, I still enjoy the community but really not as much. These events are sentimental and nostalgic. They were something we all could build a connection to, between the players, developers and ROBLOX staff. These connections made the community what it was. But now this is all screwed up and I do not like this, neither do most people. ROBLOX needs to consider this, for the sake of their player base, the events should stay.

1 Like

This is going to simultaneously kill events for Roblox and us devs. If players constantly see events from different games showing up on the games page it will make them less special. Soon even my game-specific events will be just as fatigued and useless as Roblox’s official ones.

So I can’t even recreate something I enjoyed because nobody is going to care after every game shoves it down their throat. Thanks for ruining one of the best parts of this platform for all of us.

11 Likes

I don’t really like the fact that this is replacing all events. Events are welcomed by the community, mainly because of the prizes. Roblox had decided to remove events for these types of “Events”. What will happen next Easter? Will there be an egg hunt? Roblox could have kept the events, and added Live-Ops. The community would have stayed, and everyone would be happy. Still. I am going to give Live-Ops a try, and I’m going to write my experience soon.

4 Likes

They’re enabling devs to create our own rigs for our games by allowing us to import rigs and animations much easier. As a dev, I spend a lot of time achieving a degree of theme and immersion, and thus prefer having better control over what my players look like. It’s significantly more useful than just accepting how a player looks, whether that’s a robot in a medieval game, or a pirate in a space game.

Many top games have done the same to a degree. Welcome to Bloxburg, Phantom Forces, Q-Clash, and many others do this too, so it’s reasonable to assume that many (I’m not saying all) players don’t mind either. At that point, why even care about avatar appearance?

1 Like

No, pretty sure they scrapped it because it saves time and money. With the Rthro thing going on, it makes sense since those packages take longer to make than prize items.

Plus they decided to scrap events shortly after Rthro came out even though events were around for 10 years so there’s that.

I get making Rthro packages and prize items at the same time puts so much stress on people, especially with the time frame they’re given but they could easily make less of those packages per month if they’re that hard to make.

You also need to understand that there’s nothing new being added, the live ops thing is basically a carbon copy of the featured system but worse.

The “promote community driven” thing sorta just seems like an excuse so they can either put more elbow grease into Rthro avatars or just have less money to spend.

The fact that they’re avoiding any discussion about this makes the 2 reasons i stated above very likely.

That’s basically why this is probably the most hated update in Roblox history.

15 Likes

Whilst I find this a great idea, I think that egg hunts SHOULD be kept 100%. I have been on ROBLOX since 2013 and the 2013 egg hunt was the best! I liked scrambled in time too. Please do not remove egg hunts! I understand why you do remove them!

8 Likes

I don’t think just egg hunts should stay I think all season events like the summer games should stay

3 Likes

Well, looks like Roblox doesn’t want to listen to our words, so let’s talk with statistics. Featured event developers who have statistics on revenue before and after events: I encourage you to get into Live-Ops and see how revenue compares.

8 Likes

The gauntlet seems to fit for Rthro.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot to mention those. All seasonal events should stay. Sorry, my bad!

1 Like