Roblox 2021: The Accelerator Program

Will the team requirement ever change to let solo developers have a chance of applying if they have the skillset in all fields required to make a game? Or can solo developers (like myself) already apply and then be put into a team by the management?

5 Likes

Hey everyone, Iā€™m looking to form a team for the summer accelerator program and for projects afterwards too! Iā€™ve been on this platform for 11 years and I have over 270M place visits and a game with ~3000 CCU a day. Iā€™m primarily a scripter, but Iā€™m open to team members that are both scripters and builders. Send me a direct message in private if youā€™re interested!

7 Likes

Seems a pretty pointless question, but why is the age limit for 18+? After all this is going to be done online, no more having to go to US to do it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very interested in this, but I donā€™t have a team. Hopefully, I can find a team and work on a project before May 18 - does it matter what time before May 18 we apply?

As for the summer application, if anyone would like another teammate Iā€™m interested in applying. You can message me here or on discord (iamnoamesa#7528) for a portfolio, feel free to see my roblox profile for my game.

Edit: I had linked my group rather than my game, sorry about that!

4 Likes

From my experience as a Spring 2020 Accelerator, a Jack of All Trades is a good piece to have on a team to bridge gaps between folks. While making a game on your own is rewarding, working with a team helps you focus on more meaningful tasks to getting the game out to public release.

The program is only 3 months, and it goes quick!

5 Likes

Taxes, likely. Also at the end of the day, itā€™s a 40 hour a week minimum job for 3 months, to cook out a Roblox game. Thereā€™s online meetings, thereā€™s access to chat with staff members, and you still need to pump out your game.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s mainly the issues with filing taxes & workers rights regulations, but also maturity & availability. Most people under 18 are still in High School at the least. You wouldnā€™t have time to work 40 hours a week going around school work.

9 Likes

My uni quarter (+finals) ends on June 11th. Just how far into May does the summer program start, and how far into August does it end? My team is highly interested in applying for the program, but as the only scripter I fear that my school and the program overlap quite a bit at the beginning.

1 Like

What are the odds of making it through without a demo? As much as weā€™d like to make one, what we do is mostly dictated by income, because creating a demo only to not be accepted would be a big time loss for us, atleast with the project we would like to do.

The biggest reason for wanting to participate in the program is to have this financial security while working on our passion project.

8 Likes

This is the most exciting part of the program, being able to pick the brains of experts on game design, product management, and best practices overall is something that will help you and your development career long after your time in the program ends.

While I havenā€™t participated in the program myself, I know many others who have, and they all have nothing but positive things to say!

10 Likes

Looking for Youth interns to open some dayā€¦ for the devs under 18 but are committed to developing
I hope it happens soon

5 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to this years accelerator program. I have a question, since I am mainly a solo developer here on Roblox and the majority of my friends who I occasionally work with do not meet the age requirements for the program. Would it be possible for me to join as a solo group? Iā€™m not positive that it would be accepted since the accelerator program is about team work but I donā€™t have a team to work with.

2 Likes

Try to be dedicated more on making a engaging game and think of income as your second priority. This will make your chances higher.

4 Likes

Probably going to apply later in the future.

Anyways, good luck to the people applying!

2 Likes

Iā€™m super grateful for this opportunity! Iā€™m a former freelancer whoā€™s trying to start my own game studio after I realized how successful the people I worked for are now. But let me tell yaā€™, scripting an entire game is a lot easier than trying to keep 5 people together!

The issue is direction and money from my experience, weā€™re adults, we either have to go to college or go to work, most of us donā€™t have time to work without immediate pay, even if we love that work. So I have to pay them through my own pockets that I earned outside of Roblox as well as offer a percentage of future revenue to maintain the team.

That, and 5 different people, often have 5 different visions of a game based on personal ideas as well as scope, some people want a massive sandbox world, some people want a linear experience.

This program would solve both of those issues, having a third-party mediator to help us stick to an original design, and have the money to allow all five team members to work without financial worries.

Weā€™ve gotten rejected twice sadly, but based on the lack of mingling thread and the fact that we have two chances this time, Iā€™m feeling pretty confident! Content Constructed is up and eager to go for another round!

Iā€™m super excited to apply and Iā€™m looking forward to the fun and competitive nature that this program brings!

Thank you again!

2 Likes

Oh boy here we go! Getting my team ready for this, hope my school accepts this as an internship program too!

1 Like

If Iā€™m 13, Can I still participate? I have Lotā€™s of Talent and so does my friend!

Thanks, Fusion.

1 Like

Unfortunately for you, the answer is 18+ for all participants.

2 Likes

I would apply now,but i got Army soon. So i cant x.x (Maybe next time,when the time is right :D)

4 Likes

This seems like an amazing opportunity, and I hope to take part some time soon.

I am normally a solo game developer, I probably wonā€™t be participating in any accelerator programs this year but, if I were to next year would I need to find myself a team and develop a ā€œexperienceā€ with them before applications for next year open up?

2 Likes

If you can not show off a public experience that your team has created, you will not be accepted into the program. We want participants who have the time to create experiences before, during, and after the program. They will benefit the most from what the program offers.

2 Likes