Roblox Community Rules Update

Maybe they’ll prevent <13 accounts to see ads?

1 Like

I guess they’re just telling you not to have ads which APPEAL to children, since it’s easy to get children and “scam” them sadly.

1 Like

Does this mean that those ads that show the official ROBLOX account are now not allowed? That would be a nice change.

1 Like

I’m assuming because Roblox doesn’t want any flame wars. Nowadays, in games like Starcraft 2, you can see heavy discussion about politics (which has triggered multiple flame wars), and I’m assuming they don’t want kids to get slammed by someone who has different political views than them. Likely that they just want to avoid as much toxicity as possible.

6 Likes

The radio tool simply plays audio uploaded to the marketplace, which again falls on Roblox’s shoulders to make sure this audio isn’t just loud spam.

1 Like

I can’t see this breaking the rules, you’re not misleading the viewer. The ads they’re talking about are the ones that show a limited hat and the buy button says “FREE” or something getting people to click.

Most of those before and after ads just put a bacon hair as “before” and the “after” they put someome that have a dominus and other expensive items, and the group or game does not give any item, only shirts and pants, at least they should show just the shirts and pants, and not a dominus or a expensive item. Those ads make people think that they are going to get a lot of things for free.

1 Like

I find issues with two rules (the second is kinda flawed too)

• Do not use code or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by a Developer or other third party as part of your game or experience unless you have first obtained permission or a license to do so. Intellectual property covers many different things including code, artwork, music, models, drawings and photographs.

I am going to be frank here. This rule is not only ambiguous, but hypocritical. If the Free Models catalog exists, then it’s in violation of this rule. It also hurts people who want to learn how to script through existing work. Just because a person either makes deriving work or learns a “few tricks” from someone else’s DOES NOT mean that they had bad intent or planned to steal the blood, sweat, tears and payoffs of another developer (Unless done explicitly with that intent). However, if they would’ve elaborated on this rule, then maybe I wouldn’t have wrote this.

• Do not copy other games or experiences without permission or a license to do so. Do not make any attempts to mislead users that your game is associated with another game or misrepresent what your game is about.

The rule directly above is ACTUALLY understandable. Developers don’t want people putting words in their mouths about some game that they created (they being the other people). There is only one flaw. NO ONE owns a genre or universal idea. Any game can be a shooter, a survival game, a brickbattle game, or even a mix of all these (it’s also not limited to this either). Just because it’s like Tarkov or Fornite with a good concept (not some ripoff that has no good intent - as in manipulative capitalism) DOES NOT MEAN that it needs to be destroyed along with the assets/developers that created it.

NOTE: When I believe a game is copied, it’s through artwork, and I mean to the “T” without any noticeable differences.

Either these rules are flawed, or I misinterpreted them.

NOTE: To those who think I’m untalented and can’t write code - you are GRAVELY mistaken. I actually put my own spin on things deeper than just configuration and colors. I am not here to start a fight. I am here to get my point across.

4 Likes

“Do not copy other games or experiences without permission”

So please delete all Simulators and Tycoons which are basicly all a copy of the other game.
Also all “Among Us” copies !!!

3 Likes

Hopefully I can help explain these for you a bit, as both are standard practice and neither are ambigious or hypocritical.

Reguarding the First Quote
This is basic intellectual property (IP) law in most countries. If you do not own an IP, you may not use it. This is true for music, vidoes, written works, drawings, code, characters/likenesses, etc. ANY creative work you did not create you must obrtain permission/license to use in any project outside what is defined as “fair use” which Roblox is not due to the licenses Roblox requires you give them.

When you check the box to upload something as a free-model you are granting a non-revokable license to those who take it. You can see this explained next to the “Allow Copying” toggle when publishing something. image

Deriving work is actually directly disallowed by copyright laws in most countries as well. For example I can not make and sell a cover of a song written by someone else without the proper permissions, because they have the rights to their songwritting. It’s perfectly fine to say, “Wow, this was a really clever way of handling a problem in code” and to try and make your own solution. It actually does breach copyright law to take non-public/open-source code and sit there reading it and rewritting it into your own paradigms.

Reguarding the Second Quote
This rule never claimed anyone owns a genre or universal idea, however it does repeat the same thing as IP laws do: ideas are a creative and intellectual property that you own the rights to upon creating. So whereas “First Person Shooters” (FPS) are a general idea and genre, if it’s clear you are copying an existing work you may be violating their intellectual property. For example if I created an FPS that was completly themed around pasta and called it “Noodle Wars” and it had weapons like “Farfalle Shotgun” and “Penne Pistol” and you made an FPS after and made it pasta themed and called it “Pasta Wars” and it featured a “Farfalle Shotgun” and “Penne Pistol” I would likely have grounds for a cease and desist.

This is what Roblox wants to avoid, being in a situation where they may seem neglegent in allowing such breach of IP law, in which can make them liable.

So overall I think it’s that you’re not interpretting these rules correctly, because they line up pretty 1:1 with IP law in many major countries.

7 Likes

Well, I’m glad that’s cleared up, but there is one flaw with part of what you said: when i say deriving work, i meant something made as inspiration (as a result from learning the practice). I may have used the wrong phrase.

1 Like

It really comes down to the fact that what is dirived work and what is “inspired by” is very loosely defined in general, because there is no definitive way you can declare that. Instead it is something that is “reasonably believed to be” in a case-by-case basis.

So where as my “Pasta Wars” example is clearly a derivitive work, if you made a “Noodle Battle” and had different pasta based weapons, and some unique mechanics, it might not be able to be considered a derivitive work anymore, and instead would just be insispired by other games like it.

It’s not that it’s ambigious, it’s that it’s a legal lens to look at “what is derivitive and not” which is complex.

3 Likes

i think a huge problem with adding age to clothing is 13+ users could just go into a game with >13 users and would be wearing the more “mature” clothing, exposing kids to it

1 Like

Free models dont fall under this as they have free use licenses.

3 Likes

That’s not how that works. Simulators and tycoons are an entire genre, which doesn’t fall under this.

4 Likes

will the rules be enforced more strictly following this update? there are so many misleading and “click this to be cool” advertisements

1 Like

probably, the amount of ads i see daily that are misleading are overwhelming

There are a lot of “Lifting / Weight simulators” which are all the same and look the same.
If they really want to have this rules they should remove all of them

image image

I feel like even though these ads aren’t necessarily breaking any rules, (I think.) these should be put as a don’t on the rules list. Usually, the people who use these ads are the wealthier class and groups that are already quite large, meaning that they probably didn’t actually spend ALL their robux. The second ad could simply be a flat out lie, a simple way to get nice people to feel bad for something that most likely isn’t true. (This is literally taking advantage of kind people.) In my opinion, these ads should be outlawed.

Keep in mind, roblox ads are supposed to be truthful, accurate depictions of gameplay and should show you what you should expect when you click. I’m not saying all ads should be like this, but they should be at least related to the content.

13 Likes

COPPA is intended to combat gathering, storing, and using info from specific users under 13. You aren’t allowed to create a profile for ad targetting from gathered data on specific players.

eg: If Billy really likes games about icecream, you aren’t allowed to go “ok let’s make our formula figure out he likes icecream and give him ads about icecream”

Aiming games at players under 13 years old seems to be fine if it’s just a toggle for a range of players. Otherwise no one would be able to advertise anything like toys, games, tv shows to kids.

What is more likely to violate COPPA is Roblox’s suggested games feature to young children. Because that’s gathering data and using that information to serve content to the child. But this might not fall explicitly under the “advertising” notion.

3 Likes