Roblox Community Rules Update

Developers,

As we strive to create a safe and diverse community, we have updated our Community Rules to include language which better represents our growing global community.

To summarize, this update covers the following areas:

• Expanded some of the language with our global community in mind
  • Further clarified examples of inappropriate content
  • Added information about intellectual property protections
  • Added guidelines for advertising on Roblox

We also added a “Last Updated” log at the end so you will be able to easily see if there has been a recent update.

Please note, these rules and guidelines are not exhaustive; we will continue to update and clarify as needed.

Thank you,

Developer Relations

208 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 16 minutes.

Is this a typo? This doesn’t make sense, are ads 13+ only now?

Could we maybe also get a diff so we can better see any changes?

58 Likes

These advertising guidelines are :sparkles: H E A V E N L Y :sparkles:

Hopefully, these will definitely clear things up with the “I spent all my robux on this” ad. I’ve gotten quite sick of those lately. Glad to see these were addressed!

Y’all are doing a great job at keeping Roblox safe. Keep up the great work!

26 Likes

Can you show us exactly what was added/changed? As someone who obviously doesn’t have the rules memorized I can’t see a difference

23 Likes

I’ve provided a list of all changes exactly as shown. Please see A difference showing the Roblox Community Rules from November 18, 2020 to January 28, 2021 · GitHub or this Community_Rules_29_01_2021.diff.pdf (5.6 MB)

30 Likes

Ad content has always been intended to be appropriate for all ages. All ages can still see ads.

It’s the same ideology as clothing you see in-game.

1 Like

You misread, it says to not contain content for <13, so I can’t target ads to children anymore.

2 Likes

I see - it’s referring to the content of the ad, not the game. The thing that’s weird is the fact that there’s age groups for ads, but we shouldn’t specialize ads for the <13 demographic. I don’t think we should be able to target <13 if that’s the case.

That was an existing rule. Ad creators just use different styles of clickbait now (I spent all my Robux on this ad :pleading_face:).

15 Likes

Oh man, those new advertising rules have been much needed for so long! Thank you Roblox!

2 Likes

The distortion ToS part has been part of the ToS since sounds were allowed to be uploaded - this does not mean editing raw sound files, instead they are referring to speeding up or slowing down explicit songs by orders of magnitude so that it passes moderation, and then applying the opposite distortion in studio to play it normally.

12 Likes

Ah, interesting.

In the early days of audio uploading, I usually sped up my audio to fit long sections of music within the available upload limits, and/or save on robux to upload the audio.

5 Likes

Ah yeah, they should probably not retroactively moderate that - they’re more worried about not being able to notice a swear!

3 Likes

Not a lawyer or remotely an expert on US Advertising regulations.

afaik this means that you’re not allowed to design your advert to appeal specifically to kids under 13, similar to how TV ads are meant for the parents watching, because you’re not suppose to advertise to children. Of course this doesn’t make sense when it comes to online platforms like Roblox, but I wouldn’t be surprised if its for a similar reasoning.

9 Likes

Had an interesting chat about this rule on Discord, some messages are saying it’s written like that because you can’t specifically target to <13 because of COPPA or something like that. But then again we’re not legal experts, even with that little conversation the wording is still confusing, especially when sponsored games have the option to target to <13

13 Likes

Does this rule applyes to “Among Us ads”?

imagen

In addition

There are a lot of users that bypasses this rule, why not directly add a 90DcB limit to uploaded audios? if an audio exceds this limit, then it gets deleted

5 Likes

The problem with imposing a limit on volume is that roblox’s sound engine offers quite a bit in post-processing, so you could have a quite audio, but then set the volume/distortion effects to something really loud when it is actually heard in game.

1 Like

But what about games that has a “Radio Gamepasses”? wich perople can use to put ultra-loud audio without any advice

4 Likes

With discords that are linked, we do moderate any content currently that is not appropriate for 13+. Will this now include cursing on linked servers?

2 Likes