Roblox Community Rules Update

Just a reminder that Roblox still has targeted advertising on the website.

3 Likes

How could you improve a system, where the system is composed of a small number of moderators? Even if you apply new policies and updates for moderators, this would not be easy for them to update moderation, because of it’s small manpower.

These examples are far from Roblox’ main views, and I believe they’re adding policies and content because of how the community would like them, if you’re also making them focus on content you like, then it’s pretty much a different view for them, see the community appreciates the updates and releasing of new content and being one-sided views.

I believe they do focus on the issue of both Rthro and game content age ratings, however it really depends on the corporation and their statistics where they see the part is going down they take action and focus on, see Rthro is like by some community members, and some does not like it, Roblox is doing it’s best in advertising and showing Rthro could be good too, and your proposal about game content age ratings are far beyond from the views of a corporation.

You have your own sides against the corporation however, not everything would be taken upon consideration and it’s the corporation who decides what is wrong with a certain section which they give attention to, and mostly, it’s also the benefit of the community, if there are things you didn’t like, but the platform released something beneficial I believe you should look at that side’s benefits rather than ranting about the fact that you didn’t get the benefits you wanted.

That is far from what I’m saying, and I believe you’re making a huge mistake and urge for you to reread the post. See moderation on advertising is far different from those situations, advertisements go to moderation and it would be easier for moderators to reject advertisements when it is in their policy that it is strictly not allowed, while free robux games or 18+ games have to be reported for the moderators to be aware of it. If you keep proposing they should update moderation with only a small and limited number of manpower that’s completely absurd and updating and updating the policies again and again for moderators would not help them, considering the small number of moderators compared to a large community.

I’m pretty sure you don’t get the point, see the moderation system would already reject content like these, because of the new rule imposed, without this new rule being imposed, I highly likely guarantee some would make third party ads, and because of the moderation flaws due to the small number of human moderators would most likely be able to bypass it. I’m pretty sure thanks to this new policy this would make it easier for moderators to just easily reject such advertisements rather than having to judge whether or not to let them through, which is also the result of our current situation.

Third party advertisements is what we’re talking about here, and the security against competitors being able to use the Roblox’ platform to pouch it’s members to go to the competitors side, sure that is the general rule, but we shouldn’t forget about platform security against third party advertisements.

This entire argument and thread is useless and has strayed far too off-topic.

The facts are these:

• Data collection of users is not allowed
  • Developers must have control over what appears in their game at a global scale.
3 Likes

I can compare this change to Apple’s strict App Store guidelines. Both are bad for the developers and will only benefit the company. They just want money. Also, this change could shut down Bloxbiz, an advertising platform on Roblox that helps developers make more money by showing ads. Why would Roblox take away this innovative ad network away from them and instead give them this? This is like taking away someone’s beloved car and replacing it with a bad one, while the person taking away that car gets to drive the car. No fair. I hope Roblox learns their lesson.

4 Likes

What benefit would they obtain from this? It’s normal for companies to have competitors and it’s not greed when you’re protecting your own company from being used against you. I mean, look at the fact that competitors are using Roblox’ own advertising system to bring users and customers to them.

That isn’t greed when you’re protecting your company with it’s policies against competitors who are already showing greed themselves by pouching members of your platform.

1 Like

The benefit is that developers would make more money from their games which means that in the future, developers might invest more money into their games which means better quality games on the Roblox platform. Better quality games = more players = more players spend robux in game = Roblox makes more money.

The reason why on the front page, we mostly have simulators and roleplay games is because it doesn’t cost a lot of money to make and it’s the easiest to make.

Read this topic about developers not being paid enough:

Blox Biz gives users the chance to make more money from their games which will lead to higher quality games.
Hiring developers is not free. It costs money. Nobody wants wants to work for free in most cases.

I do agree that competitors using the Roblox’s own ad system should be banned because Roblox ads on the website are meant to promote Roblox related things on website and Roblox completely owns the ad system, not the developer.

3 Likes

You basically chose money and happiness over the security of the platform, because of this rule, and this is disappointing and I have to agree with this statement…

Yet it also gives third party sites an opportunity to advertise their site by using the system which is why the rule was imposed in the first place.

However since they own the ad system they have the right to imposed restrictions and rules to it, as safety measures against competitors, and you should see that. Developers shouldn’t think about their own benefits for once and look at the bigger side why they imposed the rule in the first place.

1 Like

Start using a mix a moderators and artificial intelligence. Let artificial intelligence do more of the simple work. The human moderators for more complex work. That is one step that can improve the moderation system

I’ll talk about it more in a different topic, I have a lot to say about this topic and this topic about game content age ratings is off topic.

Third party ads will be uploaded by someone else on the roblox platform reviewed by moderators and then the third party website sends the data to the Roblox game with the image id of the third party ad and it will display the image that is referenced from the Roblox website.

What I mean by “third party” is another Roblox developer uploading the ad images on the Roblox platform and the other roblox dev puts the image that the other roblox dev will see that image appear through a third party website by using the http service.

1 Like

There are two ad systems, the one hosted in the game, and the one in the game hosted by the developer.

1 Like

Please reread the top…

Artificial moderation is also going to be a problem and will never be as perfect with the understanding and consideration of human moderation, if you already see the moderation system is flawed think how much more flawed it would be if the moderation is handled artificially without proper understanding?
Artificial moderation would cause more problems as this would most likely moderate small things that shouldn’t even be moderated in the first place, and without judgment of human moderators this would cause more problems

The third party what I mean is Roblox’ competitors using the advertisement methods, which the new rule covered, and this does not apply to developers making their own advertisement outside the Roblox platform advertising their own game and such.

I’m completely aware, however, do you seriously think without this rule imposition, that the ad system that is not controlled by a developer and not imposition of rules against advertisements would secure this? No.

1 Like

But they directed traffic to off-site places. This is against the rules.

1 Like

However, in most-cases they do not as this rule implies that it only applies to websites etc. Many of their deals were with non-digital products and some advertising systems are made for Roblox related stuff only.

2 Likes

Does not mean that It does not happen, and it is still against the rules. I support this change to the community rules. It increases Safety and fixes an issue.

1 Like

Then couldn’t they could just outlaw these ‘some cases’ and allow the rest…

1 Like

I appreciate the concern over user privacy and developer protection. However, I believe this update, appearing to be specific towards companies like Bloxbiz, infringes upon Roblox’s intentions to give greater financial and growth opportunity to creators and the platform as a whole.

I have watched Bloxbiz develop their company and vision over the past few months. I argue that Bloxbiz was put together with the intention of developing a growth ecosystem between advertisers, Bloxbiz, and creators to further financial opportunity and better connect these related digital groups. This isn’t about just making a few extra bucks - looking at some of the numbers of small or middle sized developers so far, Bloxbiz could take creators to the next level of opportunity.

It is also frustrating to witness a company that has invested several months of work into growing themselves being essentially halted by this abrupt update. On January 29th, Roblox updated their community rules to add “guidelines for advertising on Roblox”, and these guidelines have now been suddenly altered preventing Bloxbiz from running their business in how it was designed to align with the rules originally.

Although this update includes that “these rules and guidelines are not exhaustive; we will continue to update and clarify as needed”, it doesn’t seem reasonable to create guidelines, have companies follow them, then drastically alter them after all of the work and time invested. It has to be devastating to have this play out this way with Roblox originally appearing to be onboard with how the rules were written. I am not Bloxbiz, but I would assume the lack of prior communication and transparency with Bloxbiz creates a difficult situation for creators, advertisers, and Bloxbiz on how to proceed. At the least, some time to transition would have more than likely been greatly appreciated.

In addition, this change also makes it more challenging for developers to dedicate more time to their games with a growing financial opportunity suddenly being stripped away. If the goal and vision of Roblox is drive more creators to creating more experiences on the platform, I can’t see how taking away ads that seamlessly blend in and provide more income for creators to pursue their interests align with Roblox’s values.

Finally, if this change was made with concern to having annoying ads burden the look of Roblox as a platform, I can’t see how having harmless ads naturally placed by developers in creations would do this. In fact, the continued growth of Bloxbiz may even further interest media, like CNBC, that has already noticed Bloxbiz’s unique concept, thus growing the overall attention to Roblox’s vision of the metaverse. I could put my own ad slots in my game, but with my size as a developer it is unreasonable to think I can find large scale companies interested in these kinds of deals - I want Bloxbiz to handle this service for me.

Again, I appreciate the effort for privacy and protection, but I hope this change is reevaluated out of fairness to creators, advertisers, and Bloxbiz themselves and with interest to find a solution that can better work for everyone.

18 Likes

I appreciate it too, but the update was executed in a wrong way.

Can we upload the advertisement images ourselves and use them?

Seems like that’s the way they want you to do it. Only for it to show for 13+

No, it seems to mean that you can’t make ads that are targeted towards under 13s (toys, slime etc.)

just wanted to say people can lie about their age very easily

anyways I don’t know how I feel about the original post tbh