Roblox Community Rules Update

Please reread the top…

Artificial moderation is also going to be a problem and will never be as perfect with the understanding and consideration of human moderation, if you already see the moderation system is flawed think how much more flawed it would be if the moderation is handled artificially without proper understanding?
Artificial moderation would cause more problems as this would most likely moderate small things that shouldn’t even be moderated in the first place, and without judgment of human moderators this would cause more problems

The third party what I mean is Roblox’ competitors using the advertisement methods, which the new rule covered, and this does not apply to developers making their own advertisement outside the Roblox platform advertising their own game and such.

I’m completely aware, however, do you seriously think without this rule imposition, that the ad system that is not controlled by a developer and not imposition of rules against advertisements would secure this? No.

1 Like

But they directed traffic to off-site places. This is against the rules.

1 Like

However, in most-cases they do not as this rule implies that it only applies to websites etc. Many of their deals were with non-digital products and some advertising systems are made for Roblox related stuff only.

2 Likes

Does not mean that It does not happen, and it is still against the rules. I support this change to the community rules. It increases Safety and fixes an issue.

1 Like

Then couldn’t they could just outlaw these ‘some cases’ and allow the rest…

1 Like

I appreciate the concern over user privacy and developer protection. However, I believe this update, appearing to be specific towards companies like Bloxbiz, infringes upon Roblox’s intentions to give greater financial and growth opportunity to creators and the platform as a whole.

I have watched Bloxbiz develop their company and vision over the past few months. I argue that Bloxbiz was put together with the intention of developing a growth ecosystem between advertisers, Bloxbiz, and creators to further financial opportunity and better connect these related digital groups. This isn’t about just making a few extra bucks - looking at some of the numbers of small or middle sized developers so far, Bloxbiz could take creators to the next level of opportunity.

It is also frustrating to witness a company that has invested several months of work into growing themselves being essentially halted by this abrupt update. On January 29th, Roblox updated their community rules to add “guidelines for advertising on Roblox”, and these guidelines have now been suddenly altered preventing Bloxbiz from running their business in how it was designed to align with the rules originally.

Although this update includes that “these rules and guidelines are not exhaustive; we will continue to update and clarify as needed”, it doesn’t seem reasonable to create guidelines, have companies follow them, then drastically alter them after all of the work and time invested. It has to be devastating to have this play out this way with Roblox originally appearing to be onboard with how the rules were written. I am not Bloxbiz, but I would assume the lack of prior communication and transparency with Bloxbiz creates a difficult situation for creators, advertisers, and Bloxbiz on how to proceed. At the least, some time to transition would have more than likely been greatly appreciated.

In addition, this change also makes it more challenging for developers to dedicate more time to their games with a growing financial opportunity suddenly being stripped away. If the goal and vision of Roblox is drive more creators to creating more experiences on the platform, I can’t see how taking away ads that seamlessly blend in and provide more income for creators to pursue their interests align with Roblox’s values.

Finally, if this change was made with concern to having annoying ads burden the look of Roblox as a platform, I can’t see how having harmless ads naturally placed by developers in creations would do this. In fact, the continued growth of Bloxbiz may even further interest media, like CNBC, that has already noticed Bloxbiz’s unique concept, thus growing the overall attention to Roblox’s vision of the metaverse. I could put my own ad slots in my game, but with my size as a developer it is unreasonable to think I can find large scale companies interested in these kinds of deals - I want Bloxbiz to handle this service for me.

Again, I appreciate the effort for privacy and protection, but I hope this change is reevaluated out of fairness to creators, advertisers, and Bloxbiz themselves and with interest to find a solution that can better work for everyone.

18 Likes

I appreciate it too, but the update was executed in a wrong way.

Can we upload the advertisement images ourselves and use them?

Seems like that’s the way they want you to do it. Only for it to show for 13+

No, it seems to mean that you can’t make ads that are targeted towards under 13s (toys, slime etc.)

just wanted to say people can lie about their age very easily

anyways I don’t know how I feel about the original post tbh

I am proposing this as an alternative to the widely known but CoreScript locked player:GetUnder13(). Even that function won’t be able to get a player’s REAL age.

True but adverts for general audiences like clothing might be a grey area so I’m wonder if stuff like that might not be allowed.

You have to realize that Bloxbiz is basically irrelevant to Roblox. They are so small there is no reason that Roblox should ever have to contact them or even know they exist.

If you want to advertise on your games, rely on getting the sponsorships yourself or with a manager, not through an intermediary like Bloxbiz.

Allowing content into your game without you specifically knowing it is in there has been against the rules for a while now, specifically with allowing users to insert decals etc. Bloxbiz does this and I’m glad Roblox is now expanding the rules to include all content added without prior manual review by the developer.

2 Likes

No? Bloxbiz has advertised Space Jam, Pattric Star, Boss Baby: Family Buisness, Luca, Spirit Untamed, Monsters at Work, Sonic, My Hero Acadamia all within the past 3 months and have partnerships with massive companies? How exactly is that “small”?

All of those movies/shows are from the largest entertainment companies in the world like Disney, Universal, etc (much larger then Roblox) and for all we know these advertisement campaigns could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Not everyone has the power to do this, not everyone is a top 0.1% game, that’s what Bloxbiz is for.

14 Likes

I don’t care who they got as advertisers, I could contact agencies and do the same thing. What I’m saying is that they are a small fish in a big sea. I never even heard about them until now and I’m sure many others haven’t as well. Roblox doesn’t have the obligation to stay up to date on every little thing that occurs on their website.

On top of that, the rule that developers must know what is going into their game has been around for a while now so them expanding on it to include advertising like Bloxbiz is just them making sure it doesn’t get around the rules already in place.

Roblox already advertises with Disney etc and by the looks of it, Bloxbiz doesn’t even do the advertising directly with these big companies but instead uses their partners in order to get the ads. If anything Bloxbiz is simply leeching off of inexperienced developers on Roblox with a “new” feature that pays very little while they cash in. Looking at their current partnerships I think I can safely say they have no direct involvement with the big advertisers that you have mentioned but instead get them through partners.

Basically if anybody but the developer is able to change the content in a game, aka the advertisement board, then it is against the rules and Bloxbiz breaks this rule. Roblox has no obligation to acknowledge Bloxbiz’s policies or promises.

6 Likes

This question isn’t about the new changes, though something came to my attention about the rules around creating promotions for prizes.

“in exchange for a thumb up on your game”

I would assume this is because there is no sort of way for developers to know if a certain user has given the game a thumbs up or not,

However, would having milestones for thumbs up which would release a new item that becomes available to everyone, be allowed?

As an example, you promote that when the game reaches 20k likes everyone we release a new scooter that everyone (new or returning) can use for free.

4 Likes

This whole thread reminds me of that one scene in Ready Player One

Picture

The line goes something like “We estimate we can sell up to 80% of a user’s vision without inducing seizures”. Some games already look like that without 3rd party ads. I don’t even want to imagine what would happen if we decide to go down that rabbit hole.

We already see ads everywhere (websites, youtube, apps, tv, twich, even on roblox). Please no ads ingame too.

3 Likes

With respect, it is difficult for me to agree with this statement.

As I stated in my original message, the Community Rules we’re altered on January 29th. This was about the same time when activity in Bloxbiz was really starting to pick up. Now the Community Rules have been altered again as Bloxbiz has really gained traction and shown what it is capable of.

It would be quite the coincidence to have these changes play out this way and Roblox be unknowing of who Bloxbiz is.

5 Likes

There is a reason why ads exist, because they make the developers money. Anyway, this is not banning ads but third-party ads,