Roblox Community Space: A Vision of Social Experiences on Roblox

oh my god its almost here
voice chat can be a game changer for us devs making games that need people to cooperate, or in things like phasmophobia clones

1 Like

This will be… quite interesting least to say…
:popcorn:
I do love the sound of voice chat, but we need to consider the younger players of ROBLOX, as it would certainly not be “nice” if children would be exposed to adult language or other…

2 Likes

Not that I like the idea of voice chat, but… I know a lot of devs removed their phone numbers (including me) because of SIM swapping.

First the PIN lock on the Talent Hub, now this? Do you want us to remove all security from our accounts?

18 Likes

it’s enabled right now if you were selected.

3 Likes

All of these will be totally customizable, you can choose to turn them on/off and edit as you wish :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Can’t wait to see slenders screaming in your face. Very cool update.

I am kidding, I actually can’t wait for voice chat to come out! I think it has a lot of potential. Plus, you will probably be able to set it to friends only so that’s good.

1 Like

Why would you create an API that only a handful of developers can use lol

2 Likes

I have a question, how will we be able to use voice chat, and will it be 13+ or 18+?

1 Like

You will be able to change it.

1 Like

Adding a phone number to a Roblox account actively makes the Roblox account less secure, because you can reset someone’s Roblox credentials with the phone number and there are SIM swapping and other social engineering attacks to worry about.

I don’t think it’s wise to link usage of a feature like voice chat to whether you have a verified phone number. It compromises on account security.

24 Likes

For the beta testing it’s selected users 13 or older, as for when the general public gets access it’s unclear what the age requirement will be.

2 Likes

why. Is the SMS password reset still a thing. I’m not compromising my security to activate one beta feature. Please undo this.

4 Likes

This is incredible, there are so many uses for this feature I’m looking forward to implementing towards my game once this has reached full release! I’m hoping by then it won’t be just limited to proximity chat.

This looks great, keep it going!

2 Likes

Fairly interested in seeing how this works out and how moderation will be able to handle this kind of stuff. If voice chat in game does become reality, arguably then the chat filter system would get more tweaks, because if something can’t be typed out, the user would go for the more optimal choice and just chat out the word.

I fear for the worst outcome, but I can see how this update would be a decent idea - It would get more users immersed in the gameplay if they could chat with each other.

This does bring up the topic of why would users use roblox voice chat rather than a third-party voice chat such as skype, discord or team speak? If players can link these social links to their game, they could easily open up a voice channel for them as well. What makes roblox voice chat stand out amongst other services?

2 Likes

trying to test it but there’s no one else in game that can use vc… lol

2 Likes

Do others need to be invited as well in order to hear others speak? If so, that’s really annoying since that would mean that I won’t be able to hear other people without being opted in myself.

2 Likes

The thing is that Roblox’s voice chat is they’re proximity based, unlike Discord and other third party programs. This can actually be pretty good for creating a more immersive experience imo.

I’m also interested with how moderation will handle voice chat. Will there be some sort of filter? Or will what someone says be logged and the moderators will get to review what was said if reported? Really curious to see how moderation will play out.

3 Likes

direct communication on the platform would just be all about the convenience, no need to run a third party app in the background and set up a channel, when you can hop on a game and directly talk, especially when it’s with random players you don’t have to waste time trying to get their discord tag thru the chat filter. I also imagine for those on lower end devices running multiple apps can affect their performance as well. So that frees up some of the load.

2 Likes

considering this update it 18+ its a lot of wasted potential. Its sad to see roblox bend over backwards developing a feature almost nobody is going to use. I love this update and would use it but I am under 18 so I cant. I perfectly understand why you guys are doing this I would have to hear a bunch of little kids that lied about their age wearing stichfaces squealing at me whenever I play a game. But is there any plans on allowing 13+ to use it in the near future?

1 Like

Exactly how they will do that can be found here; It is the official Roblox blog.
https://blog.roblox.com/2021/09/future-communication-metaverse/

Virtual communication will also be subject to the same forms of natural moderation that exist in the real world. To continue with our restaurant example, if you yell at someone during that public meal, it’s likely that people around you will ask you to quiet down or, depending on how offensive you are, you’ll be asked to leave. There will be similar consequences on Roblox: our community will be able to self-regulate and flag a user that is not adhering to community standards, and that user may be removed from an experience or lose speaking privileges. The metaverse is an extension and augmentation of reality and the standards for civility that we hold ourselves to in the real world must carry over to the digital. -Roblox

Not sure this will work well; And I am sure many WILL abuse this. If it is 13+, that may have some serious problems, because some people like to be asshats and say bad things on Roblox. I am assuming there will be thousands of these every day and it would be hard to moderate all these ever with the many Roblox staff there are. However, this is how they planned to moderate it according to the blog post from Roblox.

1 Like