Roblox Developer Challenge 2023

Very excited to potentially participate in this. Hoping for a fun theme!

2 Likes

Ayyy lessss gooooo I can do it

2 Likes

Will there be DevRel awards from this?

2 Likes

We won’t have first, second, and third places this time, but three winning categories.

7 Likes

I was also wondering if there are any DevRel awards since they weren’t listed in the post.

2 Likes

No, this challenge will not have the DevRel Prizes

3 Likes

Unfortunate timing as it runs throughout the end of my game :pensive:

3 Likes

Well, you’ve sadly made the same mistake that the crappy mobile app game jam made:

1. Intellectual Property Rights, Representations, and Warranties.
    b)
    To the extent the Entry is not fully assignable, Entrant irrevocably grants Roblox
    and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the
    unconditional, nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free and perpetual right and
    permission to reproduce, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, distribute,
    display, publicly perform, adapt, exploit, make derivative works from, exhibit
    and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of
    times used) the Entry, in any and all media without limitation as to time or
    territory, and without additional compensation or approval from the entrant or any
    other party. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Entry. You
    waive intellectual property rights, privacy/publicity rights or other legal or moral
    rights that might preclude Roblox’s use of the Entry, and agree not to sue or assert
    any claim against Roblox for the use of the Entry or your likeness or statements.
    Except to the extent in conflict with or as otherwise provided in this Agreement,
    in the course of participating in this Contest, whatever you provide to us (whether
    we ask for it or not) will be considered User-Generated Content (UGC), as that
    term is defined in the General Terms. For the sake of clarity, that UGC will be
    subject to the General Terms, including without limitation Section 6(B) and the
    royalty-free license to Roblox to reproduce and distribute your UGC on the
    platform described therein

Aka: You’re giving over the game that you made, and Roblox can do anything they want with it. I can understand Roblox’s want to show the winner and advertise (even show the game on the front page), but to “reproduce, public, and post,” specifically “and without additional compensation or approval from the entrant or any
other party,” and take away their revenue from the game turns me away from this gamejam. I can understand the $1k gift card but we’re just giving our game away submitting it to you, even if we don’t win.

I completely understand, but no thank you.

Also, if you’re joining the gamejam, please for dear lord read the fine print.

24 Likes

Hi! I would like to participate in this gamejam, But me and my team haven’t receive our prize from the dreamjam of April 2022 (an xbox series S) or a gift card the equivalent value, I received 75$ on roblox gifcard, but still, that not the equivalent! IJustDavi, NightlyArii, sarturex, BlondyDev.

8 Likes

Unfortunate. Won’t be participating with that present and will be too busy with university anyhow :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Cool! I’m going to apply if i can :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of those are extremely subjective. What does “most immersive experience” mean? Is the goal to make the game realistic graphically or to make it realistic gameplay-wise (no fantasy etc.)?

Good spot, some clarity from @Gu4rana (or other organizers of this event) would be nice as this is super sketchy.

1 Like

Do you know whether this was for the Connect Challenge as well? I’m interested now.

Yeah, they did. So wait, we can’t use our own creations off platform on Steam or anything?

Apologies if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread; is this event eligible for the DevRel Virtual Prize Series?

Probably drawn up by legal, but it’s not very nice of them to do.

oh, and @KaranBlox:

2 Likes

Can’t wait I might convince some friends to join with me.

This is pretty standard legal stuff for Roblox. They just want to cover any legal circumstance. For example, if they want to make a video of it they’d need this kind of permission.

I’m pretty sure it just gives Roblox the right to also use your IP

(Note I’m not a lawyer and stuff)

1 Like

Will there be any form of a virtual items for participating in this contest? A bit disappointing the Devrel items won’t be available here given the lack of English Gamejams, but it’d be great to have something special from this competition, which would be motivating as well. It’s a big strive to aim for the top for a lot of developers, and given how huge this competition is, I think it would be nice to commemorate.

3 Likes