Roblox Developer Challenge 2023

Unfortunate. Won’t be participating with that present and will be too busy with university anyhow :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Cool! I’m going to apply if i can :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of those are extremely subjective. What does “most immersive experience” mean? Is the goal to make the game realistic graphically or to make it realistic gameplay-wise (no fantasy etc.)?

Good spot, some clarity from @Gu4rana (or other organizers of this event) would be nice as this is super sketchy.

1 Like

Do you know whether this was for the Connect Challenge as well? I’m interested now.

Yeah, they did. So wait, we can’t use our own creations off platform on Steam or anything?

Apologies if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread; is this event eligible for the DevRel Virtual Prize Series?

Probably drawn up by legal, but it’s not very nice of them to do.

oh, and @KaranBlox:

2 Likes

Can’t wait I might convince some friends to join with me.

This is pretty standard legal stuff for Roblox. They just want to cover any legal circumstance. For example, if they want to make a video of it they’d need this kind of permission.

I’m pretty sure it just gives Roblox the right to also use your IP

(Note I’m not a lawyer and stuff)

1 Like

Will there be any form of a virtual items for participating in this contest? A bit disappointing the Devrel items won’t be available here given the lack of English Gamejams, but it’d be great to have something special from this competition, which would be motivating as well. It’s a big strive to aim for the top for a lot of developers, and given how huge this competition is, I think it would be nice to commemorate.

3 Likes

Last year was my first game-jam. It was kinda fun. I’ll wait and see what the theme is to see if I am going to attempt this one.

1 Like

why say “gathering the whole world” when youre at the same time limiting us to USD gift cards that may not even be available in all of the world? that is my only gripe with this. is paypal really not an option?

1 Like

What dose “pre-developed resources” entail? Like toolbox and plugins? Can we make some assets in the preparation of this game jam and include them without penalty?

1 Like

Oh man I really can’t wait for this!
Me and my team are extremely excited!

No, it gives Roblox full right to modify and redistribute/create your experience and work- and you’re wavering any copyright you’ve given them:

Entrant irrevocably grants Roblox
and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the
unconditional, nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free and perpetual right and
permission to reproduce, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, distribute,
display, publicly perform, adapt, exploit, make derivative works from, exhibit
and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of
times used) the Entry, in any and all media without limitation as to time or
territory, and without additional compensation or approval from the entrant or any
other party

This means that all intellectual property is then theirs and once you’ve entered, anything you make for it is theirs and not yours- it’s literally just working on something that you’ve come up with and worked hard on that then isn’t yours. Once your done, Roblox could modify it, reuse your code in other projects, reuse the game in general and more without any limitation or permission from you or anybody else on the team. If they truly did “just want to make a video of it” they wouldn’t need permission to literally own, take, reuse, copy, modify and redistribute it, they’d only need permission for using intellectual property and (maybe) modification- most likely with a limit and with your permission. The way they’ve set it up is, again, they have no limits and don’t need anything close to your permission, you’ve basically just signed your game off at that point.

5 Likes

This is so exciting and awesome - I’ll be participating! :grinning: Though might need a team

it states above that “Your team must consist of 2-5 people.” meaning that you can have 2, 3, 4, or 5 people

I did not recieve my prizes too $1000 gift card on a website of my choice, xbox serie S and an Oculus Quest 2

6 Likes

At the time it said 3-5 people