Roblox is coming to Meta Quest!

For discovery, my vision is that we can search based on tags like single-player, or ‘VR’ to better find games that tailor to our interests. Similar to Itch.io or Steam.

The Xbox side of Roblox has had some issues, although being worked on, of showing games that weren’t supported for Xbox. My ask is that a similar thing doesn’t happen for VR. A system to effectively find VR games, in different genres and in general, should be available. (other than simply typing “VR” into the search box.)

37 Likes

This is huge news! How will we know when the beta is out?

34 Likes

LETS GOOOO!

This is amazing and I will be downloading this as soon as it releases on app lab!

32 Likes

Finally! I remember waiting for this, and forgetting about it. I wish you guys well on the VR release!

31 Likes

The idea is good, but in practice I don’t think this would work very well. The feel of VR is much, much different to anything that PC could emulate. If you’re making a game for VR, test it in VR or don’t support VR in your game at all.

A better way to go about this would be to add support for something like Google Cardboard, using your phone rather than a headset. But even this has its flaws.

36 Likes

Awesome! Does that cover native controller to avatar hand movement support? I kinda find it very immesrion breaking with the “stock” VR scripts we are given. So far altervatives DO exist, but they are unofficial such as Nexus VR

Also, will we be able to customize our own VR home enviroments if that would be even a thing?

37 Likes

Awesome news! Have been waiting on Quest support since the speculations close to 2 years ago :sweat_smile: Lack of standalone support has been the main thing holding me back from developing VR experiences - huge step in the right direction.

36 Likes

Congratulations to the Team for breaking through, with the one or other news that came around the past months I am glad to see this coming to us now.

How will this work development wise? Will we still have to test through PCVR?

34 Likes

LETS GOOOOOO
Happy to see Roblox coming to VR on the Quest!

31 Likes

Really exciting stuff! I think my main concern currently is the quality of VR content available when Roblox launches on Quest. A lot of the available experiences will be ones designed to be played either on PC or mobile/tablet (with gamepad support too, but more on that in a moment).

As amazing as it is that the current core camera/controller scripts will make those experiences playable in VR without any effort from the developers, players on Quest will be relying on the gamepad support of those experiences being solid which has always been an afterthought for a lot of Roblox titles. Furthermore, neither of the Quest’s touch controllers have a D-Pad which may cause issues with some games.

Native VR support with motion controls will always be better of course! I’d love to see some sort of way to filter specifically for games designed for VR as apposed to flat games with VR support.

Although on a more positive note, I think this will drive a lot more attention towards VR from the developer community and Roblox themselves. We’ve already seen some people accomplish amazing things using Roblox as their platforms for VR development (all eyes are on you poptartnoah and canyonjack, even outside of the roblox sphere :stuck_out_tongue:), and given some time I think my concerns will be addressed. The future is looking really exciting here, thanks!

30 Likes

Completely missed this (my scroll wheel has been jumping lately); thanks!

22 Likes

Now we know where their spending went, instead of fixing poor quality functions on ROBLOX as a platform, they instead make a VR application. Kudos.

25 Likes

thank you so much i have been waiting incredibly long for this to happen with the inconvenience of spending an hour setting up your headset and computer

24 Likes

Awesome I’ve been wanting this for years

21 Likes

Yeah something like NexusVR should really be included as default VR support, without the ability to move your characters limbs like a normal VR game I don’t imagine Roblox will compete well for Quest users against other metaverses such as Rec Room. Heres hoping for better default VR Scripts.

23 Likes

Def. Seems kinda hard to implement but if it’s possible, I’d love to see it!

21 Likes

I’m wondering if this would support older headsets for example the Oculus Rift? If not would we be able to simulate VR playtests from Studio?

19 Likes

Roblox is a huge company comprised of thousands of people, you have to remember that their efforts are not focused towards one specific area at a time.

27 Likes

Glad to finally have an actual Roblox app on the Quest instead of having to use Rift. I’m hoping that this new change will push more developers to develop games made specifically for VR on the Roblox platform!

21 Likes

What specifically do you take issue with? We have systems in place on this forum to advocate for things. Additionally, there are various teams at Roblox working on various things.

If there’s genuinely something to be improved, I’d love to hear it. I could refer you to a feature request or something, but you’ve gotta be more specific.

21 Likes