Roblox Player shuts down my laptop when I try opening Roblox

Every time I try to open Roblox from the app or the website it loads with the “Starting Roblox” screen then shuts down my entire laptop and opens it again with no errors or BSODs or anything. It just restarts my laptop.

I tried updating drivers, reinstalling Roblox (I deleted the localappdata/Roblox folder) and disk cleanup.

Roblox Studio and any other program work however.

OS = Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit
PC MODEL = Dell Inspiron 15 3567
CPU = Intel(R) Core™ i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
RAM = 8GB

Roblox Version: version-21bedf9513a74867

2 Likes

Firstly, have you found any dump files after this happened?
It may help you with your investigation about this issue.

Secondly, if you’re on Windows 8.1 check if you’re in desktop mode since Roblox doesn’t support metro mode (which i am sure is default)

2 Likes

I tried generating dump files in many ways but none worked. I checked the .logs folder and found it empty (except some Studio logs) and I tried Procdump but it did nothing.

for the desktop mode, can you please tell me how to do it?
I searched around but found stuff related to startup and I’m not sure if that’s it

1 Like

Hello Jonas,

This is just a wild guess, but it might be worth considering. Dell laptops are known for overheating and shutting down without warning. My guess is that when the system starts writing a crash dump (which is a processing power-intensive task), the overheating causes the computer to shut down before the crash dump can be properly preserved.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply,

If this is the problem, will I be able to fix it?

1 Like

Hi Jonas,

Assuming it is an overheating problem, once you fix it, you will be able to obtain a crash dump. From the crash dump, we will be able to determine exactly what the problem is. However, please note that the overheating issue is merely a speculation on my part. Since I don’t have the machine physically present on my desk, I can only offer educated guesses.

1 Like

I guess you’re right, if this laptop is overheating then he required to do technical replacement likely placing cooling setup.

1 Like

As @Bitdancer said, it would be overheating so your dump files cannot be written when immediate shutdown and there’s is would be no way to read them.

If he’s right then you should check your CPU temperature, change therma pasta for it.

I don’t know if you don’t have a fan in your laptop but in case if you don’t then you should buy cooling setup and always low the CPU usage.

1 Like

Okay. I’ll try to track down the CPU temperature, and check the thermal paste. I’ll keep you guys updated.

2 Likes

I tracked down the temperatures and these are the results:

this is when I’m opening Roblox

and this is the normal (just with chrome open)

Alright but you hide the current temperature of the CPU while Roblox application is opening so you should screenshot your screen again so it would show the current temperature.
By the way, have you worked with Roblox Studio application before?
Because it may be weird as i think Roblox Studio should be also using your CPU while developing a game and it doesn’t overheating like Roblox.

Alright. I tried something I was gonna do anyway which is downloading Windows 10. It fixed the problem and Roblox works pretty well as before!

2 Likes

Hello Jonas,

I’m glad to hear that everything has been resolved in the end. If you encounter any further issues, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

1 Like

The problem has returned, but this time it only freezes the laptop, and does not reboot it. I’m currently removing all other programs one by one, maybe this solves the problem.

I finally know now where the problem is! It was in an antivirus I installed called “360 Total Security". As soon as I deleted it the game worked! I will keep this here so that if anyone is having a problem like mine maybe this will help.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.