Roblox Player Will Not Launch

Edit (01/05/2024): A different but very similar bug was posted here, which includes a solution. It is specifically for users who are able to successfully launch and play Roblox for various durations before crashing – not those who immediately crash.

Edit (10/17/2023): Issue appears to still persist for some users at varying rates.

Edit (10/07/2023): The issue seems to be resolved. If anyone is still experiencing this issue and is not also running exploits, please respond to the message marked as a solution before replies for this post automatically closes.

Edit (08/04/2023):
In an attempt to help users understand their specific causes, I have added a list below detailing known cases that will prevent Roblox from launching. This section will receive continual updates and remain at the top of this post regardless of additional edits. The following is liable to cause issues:

MSI Afterburner, RTSS, Virtual Machines (VM), unsigned applications accessing Roblox (this includes unsigned recording software – typically open sourced), unsigned AMD driver amdihk64.dll, unsigned NVidia driver nvspcap64.dll

Edit (07/14/2023): A multitude of users have reported that running Roblox alongside MSI Afterburner and/or RTSS can cause the issue. If you are still experiencing the issue, see if disabling those fixes it. If so, please leave a reply so engineers know that the original issue is still present.

Edit (06/14/2023): Although most users are experiencing issues as described in the previous edit, some are reporting that they are entirely unable to join experiences in any capacity.

Edit (06/14/2023): After reading through replies and doing my own testing, it appears that this issue only occurs when attempting to join specific servers and not when simply using the play button.

Description
When attempting to play a Roblox game, the application begins to load, reaches ~10%, and crashes. Through all of my attempts up to this point, Roblox only successfully launched twice. Upon attempting to play, the Player does appear in task manager for less than one second then disappears. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roblox Player, but doing so has not fixed the issue nor its overarching behavior.

To provide some background information, I began experiencing issues with Player on 05/12/2023. Starting from that point forward, I have been entirely unable to use game teleports that teleport to a connected place. Teleports to another game, however, were fully functional. Upon using a teleport to a connected place, it would load for less than one to approximately five seconds and then crash without any messages. Most interestingly, streaming from Discord fully prevents the issue from happening. If I stream from Discord before initializing a teleport to a connected place, everything loads correctly with complete consistency. Once loaded in, I am able to stop streaming and play the game normally. This exception only applies to the place teleporting issue, and does not aid in the launcher failing.

Reproduction
Almost always

Launching Issue:

1. I click play on a game
  2. Website displays that Roblox Player is loading
  3. Roblox Player never fully launches

Teleport Issue:

1. Join a game with a teleport to a connected place
  2. Attempt to teleport
  3. Player crashes on loading

Expected Behavior
Roblox Player should consistently launch, and teleporting to connected places should not crash the Player.

Actual Behavior
Roblox almost never fully launches, and place teleports crash the Player.

System Information
Intel i7 @ 2.50 GHz, 16.0 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1160

A private message is associated with this bug report

152 Likes

I experienced this today, too, when I tried to join a private server via the website. Joining the main game worked, joining a private server did not, with the same symptoms as above where the loading screen popped up, never finished, and then roblox never fully opened.

36 Likes

This is also occurring to me on a windows 11 machine. I can join games through the WindowsStore version and by opening up the ClientApp from the taskbar and joining through the in-app pages, but as someone who uses internet tabs to quickly switch between games (“experiences”) this issue is a huge hinderance, plus this means no private server links can be used! To top this off, when using the “Game Capture” feature on OBS studio the ClientApp is no longer being detected (when opening from taskbar too) however the WindowsStore version does still get picked up (“Window Capture” does work for both though).

25 Likes

I have been experiencing this problem too

26 Likes

My players are experiencing this as well. Made a post about it on a previous thread.

23 Likes

experiencing this problem on my end too

joining by clicking the green play button on a game’s page works, but trying to join a server from the serverlist or trying to join a private server will crash while loading

24 Likes

I’m able to join by just clicking the play button, but trying to click on a specific server to join won’t work.

19 Likes

I just got the update recently, but when I attempted to select any experiences (from website) and click on play, this “Starting Roblox” window shows up for a few seconds, but the RobloxPlayerBeta.exe decides not to launch on the desktop/taskbar.

This Roblox Game Client decides to run in the background from Task Manager, using around 8%-10% of my CPU usage.

I am running on Windows 10 currently.

NEW:
I love how RobloxStudioBeta.exe decides to get this Not Responding thing when this Roblox Game Client runs in the background via Task Manager. I need to forcefully quit Roblox Game Client in Task Manager to prevent this issue for RobloxStudioBeta.exe from happening.

29 Likes

I should add that joining an empty server with the green play button works fine as well, joining an empty private server does not.

18 Likes

Experiencing this too.
Through the main “Play” button, this works just fine, however as soon as I try to join a specific experience (say, private experience or through the server browser) it does not load, rather Roblox crashes.

18 Likes

The issue is also in the Roblox app itself.

16 Likes

I now cannot join any ROBLOX game without being met with a crash and SteamVR opening for no reason.

I don’t understand how a company of this size does not QA these updates as they claim they do.

18 Likes

I’m experiencing launching issues similar to a few posts here.

However, after waiting roughly 3-5 minutes the client finally opens in a window, but the renderer is blank and the window is immediately unresponsive.

Something else I noticed is that the starting splash screen is on-screen longer than usual.

15 Likes

This only happens to me when launching into private servers, which is odd. Has been going on for me today since 12 EST.

It works perfectly on my end when I play normal servers, but hitting the join button on a private server always fails for me.

18 Likes

Does it also fail when trying to join a server from the server browser?

13 Likes

Original post has been updated. Please refer to it for future replies.

13 Likes

Same happens on my PC, only when starting from a specific server, both private and normal servers. The green Play button will start the player as normal. This started happening today after the latest update.

The mobile iOS app is fine, so I assume it is only happening on PCs.

11 Likes

Tried to join private servers in every way possible, even links. The green bar barely goes up and then nothing happens.

10 Likes

I am also experiencing this, public servers work fine. Private servers crash the player while the loading screen is visible.

9 Likes

This is what happens for me. Using the green button to play seems to work at first, but when it should pop up the client window it just doesn’t. Trying to join a specific server still just instantly crashes the launcher

It just stays as a background process hogging memory

ScreenShot_20230614190356

15 Likes