Roblox Terms of Use Update

(post deleted by author)

Nothing is changing – the 30% applies to 3D UGC like hats and layered clothing (has always been 30%). Not to 2D (legacy) clothing, T-shirts, etc. They need to clarify the wording.

Use your senses before replying: they wouldn’t push out a significant change to a revenue stream like that without its own announcement.

13 Likes

Use your senses before replying: they wouldn’t push out a significant change to a revenue stream like that without its own announcement.

Right, but half of twitter thought the same thing the language was worded poorly, not sure why you’re always so passive aggressive with your replies when its a perfectly reasonable to get confused about it.

1 Like

I’m explaining how one could avoid falling in the same pitfall (starting outraged about it instead of thinking it through first) in the future when giving feedback. The summary in the first post doesn’t mention revenue changes and it is clear the intent is to improve transparency, not to actually make functional changes.

It’s not meant to be passive-aggressive.

Also, I have higher expectations of responses to DevForum announcements compared to Twitter thoughts, because the forum is a more durable/intentional feedback medium.

7 Likes

Yeah the language was unfortunately unclear, and I wasn’t aware of the 30%-40%-30% revenue split for UGC Catalog Items. Thanks for letting me know though! I’ll delete my previous message as to not spread misinformation.

Cheers!

Just to make sure, are we or are we not able to sell experiences/games? I’m sure we can’t sell groups to other users, but there’s quite the amount of inconsistencies. The terms of service now seems to state that we can, but a multitude of other pages seems to state we can’t/shouldn’t, and before this update it was stated we cannot. If we actually can now, that’s pretty awesome!

imagehttps://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846-Roblox-Terms-of-Use

imagehttps://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/203313980-Buying-and-Selling-Games

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-community-rules-update/134007

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/can-i-sell-roblox-games/682571/4

9 Likes

We have not changed any revenue share percentages with this Terms update. The language has been revised in order to clarify.

20 Likes

I do not think i like this update. :disappointed:

Some of these rules are good, but some of them is a no-no.

We will determine how much you are eligible to Cash Out by totalling the amount of Robux earned (over the lifetime of the account) and subtracting the amounts previously paid out to you through DevEx.

What does “the amount of Robux earned (over the lifetime of the account)” mean? Does it mean the total cumulative lifetime Robux earnings of an account, or total cumulative lifetime earnings minus total cumulative lifetime within-Roblox purchases?

If you earn 100,000R$, you can cash out 100,000R$. Whether you actually have that much depends on if you spent anything or none of it.

If you earn 100,000R$ and spend 50,000R$ on avatar / in-game items, and then you gain 50,000R$ through non-devexable means, you should still be able to cash out 100,000R$.

4 Likes

So, assuming Roblox didn’t find out, say one had 200k Robux. Could one not theoretically transfer 70% of 100k through an in-game purchase to an alternative account, devex 200k despite having a 100k balance and transfer back 70% of that 70k through an in-game purchase? They would have 49k robux extra – with which the same process could be repeated again for a potential 2 times the amount of robux they put into this??

I don’t think what you are suggesting is in the spirit of the program and is not a proper interpretation of what I said. I wouldn’t try that if you value your account / continued participation in DevEx.

DevEx is for converting legit creator income.

1 Like

I never did have the intent to follow through with the proposition. I was merely wondering whether it was a possibility, and it does seem to be one.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand, but here is roughly how I think that would play out.

User 1: 200k Robux (200k Max Eligible to Cash Out)
[Purchase 100k item]
User 1: 100k Robux (200k Max Eligible)
User 2: 70k Robux (70k Eligible)

User 1 only has 100k Robux, so they cash it out.
User 1: 0 Robux (100k Max Eligible)
User 2: 70k Robux (70k Eligible)
[User 2 Purchases 70k Item]

User 1: 49k Robux (149k Max Eligible)
User 2: 0 Robux (70k Eligible)

So, technically, the amount of Robux that could be cashed out increases, but they’d still have to…make that Robux? In your scenario, it seems a lot more like they just like 50k robux for no real reason. (& as buildthomas says, this kind of scheme would likely get caught anyway).

2 Likes

I believe the purpose of the system is to make it more clear that your earned Robux is tracked.

For example, if I have earned 100k Robux, use it to buy a 100k Limited, and then sell that limited for 130k, I will be able to cash out the 100k.
Even though the 100k I get by selling my limited is not “earned Robux”, they are able to tell that I did earn it previously.

3 Likes

Does this mean you can make 70% off of UGC accessories in your own game?
Still unfair that you make less then the distributor if an item is sold in another game. You only make like 2% commission for Amazon Affiliate. 40% is insane.

1 Like

yay new rules maybe better then others!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the new Announcement and updates @Roblox
Keep it up :heart:

Its technically not his fault. He just fell for an April Fools Prank.

greenlegocats trolled everyone by tweeting a fake screenshot of Roblox announcing that they “modified” the rules of online dating.