Roblox Visual Novel Concept - Early Access Studio & Other Screenshots #1

This is a quick journal of the progress in my visual novel concept ‘My Dear Yumesora’. Go here to see my previous post(s) of the game, and here to visit the game.

My Dear Yumesora is essentially a romance-orientated visual novel, arguably the first of its kind on Roblox. I have been making update logs on it, but I haven’t actually posted any screenshots of the game itself minus some character art, nor have I made the game open to the public. For that reason, this post will serve to provide some reference to what the early-access game might look like, and a short explanation for some screenshots.

The game itself is extremely early in development, as progress first began on October 15th this year with plenty of breaks and delays, so don’t expect the game to be perfect or adequate just yet.

It is important to note that almost every UI element in the game is subject to change, and feedback on its appearance will definitely be put to good use.

Episode 1 Screenshots

This is a compilation of the first episode of the story.

For the game menu, it is opened by clicking either the right mouse button or the spacebar, and is closed by either the exit button or the left mouse button. It provides what a game menu should contain, as seen below.

From the studio screenshots, you can also see my uncomfortably long UI list. The visual novel system unfortunately works like google slides, and each dialogue needs to be its own frame, making the thing easy to maintain with little failure, but also makes the entire system outrageously long, especially an episode with any lasting duration.

With the dialogue box, there is a stark resemblance to a particular game in mind. I won’t reveal the game behind my inspiration, but if you do know the game I am referencing, just know that a lot of the episode UI is inspired by that game, as well as some character designs.

Just some screenshots showing the different menus.

Main Menu Screenshots

As stated in one of my previous update logs, the beginning of the game displays the Roblox Studio logo, which is just a placeholder until I get to redesigning my Roblox group logo, or changing it to something else entirely.

Unfortunately not the most attractive main menu, but the basic layout will likely remain for the most part. I do however want to replace the background with a higher resolution one, or try to change it out entirely if the need comes by.

Right now, the game displays your username to represent you in the story. I originally was going to make your name customizable and be used throughout the story, but for simplicity sake this was going to work fine. If this game somehow gains traction, or if I decide to make either a sequel or second visual novel of the like, it’ll surely have a customizable name option for the player

Some more screenshots of the different menus in the game (minus the Miscellaneous menu, since it’s still not being used for anything currently. It will however be converted into a “Help” menu much like in the episode portion of the visual novel, and probably will share the same text). These are of course still in their infancy, and are subject to change like nearly everything else.

I’ll probably not be complete with these illustrations until February if school doesn’t get any harder :skull:

Also might change the donation options for a custom donation amount option system, if I can figure out how to make that in time before I forget about it.

Additionally, I probably won’t be using VOICEVOX: Kotoeinia for the JP voicelines of the female MC Yumesora Hara, since I discovered a few other options in the program which sound better in my opinion. I’ll potentially make a post later on with different voice samples.

Character Art Screenshots

This here is just some screenshots of the redesigned female lead. She is usually drawn on paper before being moved digitally on Medibang, where finalized changes are made. I haven’t gotten to coloring her yet, but I’ll probably start on it tomorrow or Friday this weekend.

This is the early and basic trace-over of the photo of the paper which I drew her lineart on.

The lineart is nearly complete, with various changes already done to her lower body and such digitally.

I finish drawing her shoes, added the final details to her hair and bag, and resized her left arm (our right). Additionally, you could probably tell how I redrew her eyes and resized her face, in order to match with the OC I drew a couple months ago.

I resized the canvas so that Yumesora’s character illustration would be bigger, and that unfortunately meant that the lineart became very low resolution. In that case, I had to do another retrace (which took longer than expected due to school and stress).

This screenshot is from today. The lineart is almost done, I just need to add Yumesora’s keychains to her bag, and maybe give her some small earrings. Otherwise, this is the complete product before it goes and gets colored.
(additionally, I fixed her uneven bag, which was lopsided in the beginning)

When I get to the coloring process, I’ll definitely remove some lines in her hair, and/ or make them less prominent. You could also probably see that these screenshots date from the 16th to the 20th, which goes to show that I just draw really slowly.

This is just a fun comparison between the original character design and the redesigned one (which the redesigned one was indeed outdated when I made the comparison).

I am glad that my close friend was able to convince me to redraw her sprite, since the original one was simply :nauseated_face:

That pretty much lays out all of the important stuff to show. I might show a video preview later on, but that’ll take time, since I still need to make changes to the first episode, and complete all of the dialogue frames. All of the feedback you can provide is appreciated, and with all being said, I wish you a great day/ night.

4 Likes

This is really nice, keep up the good work

1 Like

honestly love visual novels but one in roblox is gonna be simply amazing.
looking forward to it

1 Like