ROBLOXCRITICAL Random crashing? (Destroying sounds after playing)

My game hasn’t had this bug until today, and I haven’t updated it for 3 days. It apparently always happens while someone is shooting their ship. No idea what could be causing it… How is it I view the crashlog again?

I suggest moving this to Developer Discussion since you don’t know what the issue is yet.

Alright. Seems like a roblox based bug to me though, considering the fact I haven’t updated it.

Does it happen consistently for certain people, or is it seemingly random for even those who’ve had crashes? Even if it appears to be random, how often does it happen? How long does it take to reliably reproduce?

It happens for everyone, after a random amount of time shooting their ship. Took me like <3 minutes to reproduce.

Could just be random crashes though, as people are shooting their ship a large amount of the time, and could just seem to be the problem.

I’m having the same issue at my place, maybe a raycast issue seeing as its occurring when we shoot guns?

It could also be a sound issue.

@sloomingbla Do you have sounds? try disabling them, see if that fixes it.

I am also experiencing random crashing in my game, but I have been updating it frequently. There does not seem to be any consistency among the crashes; they are sporadic and happen in all areas of the game (menus, gameplay, etc.) There is definitely a chance that it is a problem with my code somewhere, but on the off chance that it’s a roblox bug, I’m posting here to say that I also have this problem.

1 Like

That’s a good point, just tested again and it seems to crash right as a sound ends

Would make sense. The first mention I had of the bug was at 4AM, and since had constant reports in the comments section.

I do, I will try it out.

…Should I move this back to client bugs? I want a fast fix for whatever is causing this, and it seems even more like a roblox based bug now.

Alright, changed.

1 Like

Yes, I would change it to bugs, crashes need to be fixed.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to try out a fix yet, I have to go for an hour or so. I’ll be back after, people should try removing sounds or raycasting to see if it fixes it.

Crash logs:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At0dt8Qglcp7gtka077Y2AZ3QUet7w

EDIT: Didn’t mean to reply to you, sorry

Just gonna say my game is having some crashing issues as well based on the comments, I haven’t updated it in weeks.

Add ROBLOXCRITICAL to the title seeing as many peoples games are crashing

I have found a solution to my crashes, hopefully this will help others as well. The crash comes when destroying sound objects immediately after they end. This is the core sound function that I use:

blob.jpg

When the wait() line is commented out, crashes occur. Adding in the wait() has gotten rid of all crashes for me.

4 Likes

spotco should probably be pinged on this one? @spotco

Thank you. I will make sure the engineer working on sounds looks at this immediately.

2 Likes

This new behavior came when the new sound functionality came I believe. I found this out a few weeks ago. I didn’t know it was a bug and I started wait()-ing to destroy sounds. I probably should have posted about it :open_mouth: