Rthro shouldn't be the default avatar idle pose

As a Roblox developer and player, I want Rthro to remain a stylistic choice. Roblox recently silently updated full body thumbnail generation on the website to use the Rthro idle pose when an idle from another bundle is not equipped (figure 1). Fortunately my avatar was cached beforehand so I don’t have this forced on my avatar unless I change any asset (figure 2).

There’s no reason why this should be the case. Roblox offers the Rthro Animation Package in the Avatar Shop including an idle which provides a pose for your avatar on the website. This says to me that Rthro should remain a choice, yet it is now enforced for those who don’t make that choice. It is redundant and removes the freedom of choice to not use anything Rthro (scales and animations).

This change also misrepresents the in-experience behaviour and choices of the player. When the player doesn’t have any animations equipped, the only Rthro animations that are forced onto the avatar are the run and walk animations. All other animations default to the R15 standard pre-Rthro.

It doesn’t sit well with me that Roblox, which prides itself on avatar stylistic freedom, removes that choice. It may be trivial but it’s no less annoying to deal with when product makes out-of-touch decisions — emphasis on the fact that Rthro animations are already offered as a free package but stock R15 animations are not, yet the former is forced and the latter has become an afterthought obtainable only by not using the Player Choice option on avatar animations in experiences.

(Figure 1 — THIS IS NOT DESIRED)

(Figure 2 — THIS SHOULD BE PRESERVED)

57 Likes

i consider this one as a bug, apparently my old place still got true default idle and walk animation and this is still being used in your game when “Standard” is selected.

5 Likes

This feature request is more about the assumed intentional change for full body avatars on the website to assume the default Rthro idle pose than it is about animations used in-experience hence the deliberate choice of category. In-experience was used as a point of reference but is unrelated.

Avatars on the website can be generated given a set of parameters and what I hope to have reversed is for Roblox not to default to the Rthro idle animation for the thumbnail generation when not having another idle animation equipped. It removes my choice to continue using R15 without having any presence of Rthro scaling or animations on my avatar.

2 Likes

Updated the feature request a little bit to use a better title (the change and therefore the request only affect full body avatar thumbnail generation on the website) and a bit more concise or different wording in some cases to more accurately point out my problems with this change.

PLEASE STOP FORCING RTHRO. Roblox wanting to push forward with newer avatar technologies is no excuse for lack of preservation of choice. I can live with changing the default movement animations in-experience but the Rthro idle pose looks awful and I don’t want it. We either need a bundle providing the stock R15 animations to counteract this or for this out-of-touch decision to be reversed. I will fight for this tooth and nail and keep bringing it back up if it ever gets forgotten.

9 Likes

I remember when you couldn’t equip hair on a R6 avatar, I’m pretty sure this was a bug but yeah, we should have a freedom of choice, not being stuck with what roblox forces us to use.

4 Likes

Your avatar has been restored to normal. Did it fix itself or did you do something? My avatar is still like this.
And R6 avatars it’s not like it used to be, could it have something to do with this thing?

Original R6:

Bad R6:

̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶"̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶d̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶r̶h̶t̶r̶o̶ ̶i̶d̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶(̶N̶o̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶.̶)̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶e̶.̶

2 Likes

They should also fix the weird stiff pose that appears on the website that doesn’t match the idle animation. It’s been infuriating me ever since it came out.

2 Likes

Generated avatar thumbnails are cached. Any change that would cause the thumbnail to regenerate (such as changing the face) would also include applying the idle pose to the character as a step in the generation. In this case, the undesired behaviour is that the applied idle pose for R15 avatars is the Rthro idle even when not explicitly equipping the Rthro idle animation asset.

3 Likes

like colbert said, the avatar thumbnail was cached, so it was with original idle animation, i have unequipped idle animation (which was toy idle) for roblox to fallback on a fallback animation, no luck, it falls back on rthro idle animation.
firefox_knVuE
I honestly don’t understand these changes, it was fine as it is, there was no need in this change.

2 Likes

What is the “edit profile picture” feature? I haven’t used any new or unexplained features here - I’ve customised my avatar the same as I always have and I see this change applied to my avatar. I have also tried this across other accounts that I haven’t used in years and it still happens.

This change is massively undesirable and the existence of the Rthro animation bundle should be reason enough to retain this as pure choice and not to force it on any avatar thumbnail generations.

2 Likes

“edit profile picture” feature only exists in mobile, I don’t know why it’s limited to mobile, but it still doesn’t make sense why would editing profile picture change fallback animation.

1 Like

I’m not sure why you think this is related to specific non-animation avatar assets. My current thumbnail as presented by figure 2 is the way it is because the website has that image cached so as long as I don’t make a single change on my avatar it will not cause the thumbnail to regenerate.

The Rthro idle pose is applied when my avatar thumbnail is regenerated, meaning any change to my avatar will cause this to happen. The only case where my idle should be changed from the R15 stock is when I have an idle animation I equipped and I do not.

Please stop adding bloat replies that aren’t adding any value to conversation. This isn’t a bug report; and if you’ve found a solution, then please only reply with one that actually works instead of telling me to run around in circles for a change that Roblox has clearly deliberately made and is unwanted.

3 Likes

I feel like if Roblox is opting to use the Rthro/realistic* character animations, they should also opt to list the original R15 animation set onto the Avatar Shop.

->*I say ‘realistic’ as there has been a recently added animation pack listed as the namesake: Realistic - Idle - Roblox (I don’t think this is able to be searched in the animations tab)

3 Likes

I love not having choices. Truly a place where I can “be anything” on the “Imagination” Platform.

I’m still unable to change my avatar because it’ll default me to the Rthro idle animation despite not having it equipped and I can’t get back the old pose. My only other choice is not using R15 and going back to R6, losing out on several customisation options like scaling and layered clothing.

ETA: In case it’s not apparent, albeit a bit too early in that it’s been 50 days since the last post, this is me asking for some signal on the change. Don’t get why we can’t have some choices these days and have to keep being forced into Rthro-centric features.

10 Likes

I don’t even know why Roblox made this update. I never use R15 anyways.

3 Likes

(know this was months ago but I need to mention this)

This is one of their worst decisions as it’s visible literally all over the site. Rthro looks good in-game with specific avatars but not on profiles. It looks dead. The original R15 pose both looks better and is much much less dead.

They never make sense with these anyway. Why go through the effort to make a bad update when you can leave it as it is, and not receive any bad comments. It’s both time-wasting and looks disgusting.

I really hope they remove this.

7 Likes

Agreed! And the idie can also be selected, no reason to remove the old sction pose.

(ik how they did this btw )

3 Likes

does anyone have an animation ID link to the original pose?

I remember there being a post showing the ID to the original idle pose before it got updated on April 1, 2023, but I think it’s unlisted now and I can’t find the link.

1 Like

https://www.roblox.com/library/532421348/ActionPose

2 Likes