Satchel // Open-source modern backpack system

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll be looking towards implementing a fix based on the code you provided.

1 Like

How to make visible full name of tools, not just half of the word

1 Like

Full Support for Dev Containers

Satchel now fully supports development containers for quickly setting up your dev environment in seconds. Some use cases include:

• Making contributions to Satchel
  • Testing out Satchel in Rojo before installing
  • Editing Satchel on any device (including mobile)

Dev containers are basically a configuration that tells your tool how to setup your workspace. When you open Satchel in a dev container, the following are installed:

To get started, open Satchel’s GitHub repository in a supporting tool such as Visual Studio Code or GitHub Codespaces.

1 Like

Hello,
I have been using your system for a game I am making, and I have come to a roadblock. whenever I open the inventory, UI navigation automatically enables. I do not want this, as I want players to freely be able to move around while their inventory is open. I am able to just disable UI navigation when the inventory is open using the backslash key (), but it is very annoying to do so every time.

I have looked though the script and though this topic for a solution, but I have not found one. I am wondering if there is a setting in this module that automatically activates UI navigation when the bag is opened, and if so, if there is a way to disable it.

If you need more information on the problem, please reply and I will provide more, thank you

This only happens when a controller is detected to be connected. It is intentional behavior so the user can just open the inventory with let’s say a keyboard and then use the controller to navigate.

If this is occurring when a controller isn’t connected, please send me a bug report on how to reproduce the bug.

v1.3.1

v1.3.1 fixes bugs introduced by v1.3.0 and other minor improvements.

Fixed

Full Changelog: Comparing v1.3.0...v1.3.1 · RyanLua/Satchel · GitHub

Downloads

Satchel.rbxmx (241.6 KB)
Satchel.rbxm (91.5 KB)

1 Like

Ohh that makes so much sense. I had a controller hooked up to my pc at the time. thank you for the replay, It worked when I disconnected the controller. Thanks again!

1 Like

For anyone who wants to add first person support, insert this code into the satchel modulescript.

--after: InventoryFrame.Parent = MainFrame

local modal = Instance.new("TextButton")
modal.Size = UDim2.new(0, 0, 0, 0)
modal.BackgroundTransparency = 1
modal.Modal = true
modal.Text = ""
modal.Parent = InventoryFrame

This will forcefully free your mouse whenever the inventory is open. In first person, this allows you to use the inventory without issue.

1 Like

Text wrapping interferes with ToolNumber readability:

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 1.39.11 PM

1 Like

the documentation website returns error 404, also I’m stupid how do I toggle the visibility of the ui on/off?

I checked the website and it seems to be fine and running. Would you message me a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

Slightly different hyperlink to the one at the top of the page

Oops, must have overlooked that link while changing the domain for documentation. It should be fixed now.

Thank you… great resource.

I’m getting a glitch where an item in the inventory can be equipped.

Also, removing the search bar?

Shameless bump . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Okay—while it’s the trend

Improvements to Satchel Documentation

The documentation site has received some cool improvements that we thought were worth sharing. These changes are small quality-of-life updates that we have shipped with Satchel Documentation. All the changes are live now.

Reduced cookies & removed services

You read that right, we’ve removed all the cookies except for analytics since we need to know how to improve the website. Mainly we’ve focused on removing third-party features that use cookies. Mainly cookies from the following services:

• YouTube
  • Discus

That means those services are removed as well so it should be faster to load and more smooth.

Richer PWA installation UI & Landscape Support

While we’ve made improvements for PWA support all around (offline is coming soon), there are only two that are nice to know. (We didn’t have any images for anything but those two)

Richer PWA installation UI Before/After

When you install the documentation website as a PWA it now shows a few preview images before you install.

Mobile

Before

After

Computer

Before

After

Landscape Mode

Landscape on mobile has been improved. When you switch to landscape on mobile, it now takes up the entire screen.

Before

After

Those are all the notable changes. There are a few more minor changes but the primary ones are instant navigation and improved loading for PWAs.

Get featured on Satchel

Satchel is looking for experiences to feature on its documentation website. We want to see how you use Satchel and showcase use cases for new developers planning to use Satchel.

Experience Requirements:

• Uses Satchel
  • Free to play (no paid access)
  • Accessible on the desktop
  • 13+ / Moderate or lower age rating
  • Supports English

2 Likes

Loving satchel so far, clean, and really nice. Would defo recommend this over the default roblox backpack. (I just switched over to Satchel, from using the default backpack)

Just something i’d like to make clear is that the functions are Satchel.Satchel (yes that is correct) I was struggling a bit and then saw that I had to do this:

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local playerScripts = player:WaitForChild("PlayerScripts")
local satchel = require(playerScripts:WaitForChild("Satchel"):WaitForChild("Satchel"))
satchel:SetBackpackEnabled(false) -- or do whatever you want here