Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I can see what you’re saying, I’m sure they did. People will probably have to click something on their profile twice to see the handle in-game but people will naturally notice a way to confirm someone’s identity by finding their handle in game. I’m not sure how it’ll actually be, I’m just assuming.

1 Like

I understand that Roblox wants to allow more RolePlaying in its game, however, the property of being able to be easily abused and cause harm to others’ reputation, in my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros.

1 Like

There’s a filter that is being implemented. No one will be able to impersonate anyone.

2 Likes

Good, it would be super annoying having 50 Flamingo or TanqR impersonators in a server haha, i would assume this run was just a test to see what people would do.

1 Like

I personally think a good way of using Display Names is using the MouseEnter event if you have a custom player list.

For example https://gyazo.com/8a050cf7771997bf01ff79b9bd48e0b5

I simply need to compare the players tag to the player list or you can directly access the username from hovering over the players tag. Now the system I made here can’t be exploited since its all done client nothing is going server. Its an easy system to create and hopefully more games use a similar idea if they plan on support this new feature.

2 Likes

For those complaining about this feature, perhaps focus efforts on asking for a feature to go along with this. (Togglable Option for Display Names)

I was thinking a simple Toggle, or at the very least the ability to write to Player.DisplayName, as opposed to running into script permission issues.

This will invariably ruin games that employ some sort of player input, such as Phantom Forces. Say I want to votekick someone named “Rock” for exploiting. What happens if there are 5 “Rock” named users in the game. Now I have to hope my code picks and kicks the right user, or at least find some way to display usernames as opposed to display names. I don’t think this was thought out as much as it should have.

3 Likes

Normally I’m against premium-only features, and was always against BC-only features/games in the past, but I think this is the one time where a premium-only feature would be warranted. If someone wants to make a crass display name, they should at least fork over $6 to do so. It’ll likely prevent a majority of the bacon haired swastika users we’ve been seeing from happening in the future.

Also, here’s a script that changes users display names to their usernames. Display names are a bad idea but kicking users with custom display names is an even worse idea;
Disable DisplayName script - Resources / Community Resources - DevForum | Roblox

5 Likes

That defeats the purpose of display names.

Most people will do this, so extremely rare usernames nobody can get (like flower, cold, etc.) will be locked off.

2 Likes

While this update is good, its still controversial.

Will developers be able to override a user’s display name in a game? This could help prevent impersonation in popular games or help moderation with admin in smaller games, as from what I can tell it could be hard to find the actual username of a person who may be spamming a chat.

2 Likes

The thing is with that, old, abandoned, or already deleted accounts are very unlikely to have this on, plus the fact that more active and well-known users probably have enough to have this on, but if anything it shouldn’t be a free feature to opt-out your username, because as you said, it’d defeat the purpose of display names. But if that becomes a premium feature or something then maybe it’d be better.

2 Likes

Are display names going to be shown when a player sends a friend request?

1 Like

Maybe a blacklist?
You can use the resource Player.DisplayName In a local script

1 Like

The moment this was rolled out, people started bypassing racial slurs. I’m not okay with this, Roblox is not Twitter.

4 Likes

Me, I liked display name, but it got removed, if it comes back, I won’t need spend 1000 robux for change my user name (also, it’s not guarranted that I will have a username that I want)
Me, I don’t have any donators that can help me change my username if this feature doesn’t comes back later
If someone bypass the display name filter, we can still report this

3 Likes

We are already seeing new players with a bunch of random letters and numbers for their username. Eventually every single player will have a bunch of mixed characters in their name, it’s not like 2012 when you could have the username (xxKillerxx4529683025), now it’s more like having the username (dw9a76drt39dgah3s7ks) probably those will all be taken too, then what… Display names are designed to give players the choice to get to use their own original nicknames that would have otherwise been taken since 2006, it also allows them to be identified in a game more easier. Instead of having to scroll through the player list with a bunch of long names it’ll now be easier to locate these shorter display names. It is unfortunate that people decided to take advantage of this system in order to bypass or impersonate, but that is something that Roblox can easily filter out just like they have with the in game chat. We wouldn’t have chat in Roblox games if Roblox did not go out of their way to make it safe and secure, they just have to go the extra mile in order to make it safe and we have to give this new feature a chance otherwise we will always just assume it’s bad before ever trying to fix it. It is not perfect… yet. But it can be improved on in the long run. As for the risk of impersonating youtubers and admins I’m sure Roblox has already filtered out most of those names, even if someone does have a bypassed youtuber/admin display name there are still easy ways to know if they are real or fake. A real youtuber or admin will always have a special logo right before their username, for admins it’s the Roblox logo and for star creators it’s the star creator logo. If you do not see that icon by the player’s name then they are an imposter. If you are looking at their profile on the Roblox site then wherever you see their display name you will also see their unique username just right below it, you can also check their badges for the admin badge or if it’s a youtuber check their groups to see if they are in the star creator program. A lot of people get scammed even before display names were a thing, back in 2019 I even fell for a scam by a fake admin who pretended they would terminate my account if I didn’t do what they instructed me to do. Scammers are really tricky to detect unless people are smart enough to tell the difference, and it’s not that hard to find out what is real and what is fake.

2 Likes

Roblox, I really hope you revert this. This is a pain for moderating games when you guys don’t, you guys will ban people for such small things then not ban people using racial slurs bypassing your chat filter and you leave it up to the game to ban those people and you just made it 10x harder. I am probably now going to have to resort to a custom chat and overhead GUI that uses names and not display names, because this also makes it harder to ban flying exploiters.

6 Likes

What a great idea; give the scammers and impersonators the advantage when in-game and on the website. Have you ever thought about the side effects of this? It’s not even a display name at that point where the only thing that gives it away is when you chat in-game and the @ on your profile. What happens if you don’t speak in-game and you get away with something such as impersonation. Users could be tricked into thinking the @ by the name on your profile could be a bug or something if the scammer said it was to the other user—one of the worst ideas I have ever seen. You should at least pay to have a display name or at least pay to change it.

3 Likes

All fun in games till scammers get the advantage with the new update.

3 Likes

It prevents impersonation for popular users, devs, and staff, but doesn’t cover it for everyone else.

3 Likes

Please please please make a application for display username changing that way there is no impersonation.

1 Like