Say "Hello" to Display Names!

I don’t feel this is a great idea because it gives an alternative to changing usernames on the actual website, there’s no point to that if it’s just going to be in-game, lower the username change price then?

However Player.DisplayName would be excellent to have the player’s name above their head changing and replicate to the actual player board. The website aspect seems a little uneccesary to me.

I will say “Hello” That is pretty much all right? This might also maybe be a bit more useful for scripting I’d say.

I’m so glad you added a feature like this, I think it will completely change how games work.

Reading the other replies I think there are some valid points such as how to stop impersonation. I way to prevent that would be amazing and would make the system 100x better.

This is interesting, however it will still require some work, for example impersonation will definitely effect some players. My theory is that this feature is going to be abused, what about people fighting for names, however what will this inflict on the roblox systems? Surely this is going to have to be rolled out slowly, I can imagine this feature being abused by bots & the servers having to work harder to write usernames to the daterbase ect.

But lets play your playing this minigame. Your display name is “RobloxLover” & your username is “RobloxLover99982”, You win the minigame, the minigame shows your name, “RobloxLover9982”, shouldnt their be a way to distinguish their roblox username from in the game, I dont want to re-write my code.

With a bit of tweaking this could be a great feature, good luck!

1 Like

We finally got this update, but I have a question like, when your display username gonna be “roblox” and under it “@roblox1827”??
I think you cant write roblox as display name, right?
Just wondering. :slight_smile:

Is this your solution for the problem with usernames on Roblox? Seriously? Are you kidding?

What a cheap solution for this huge problem. As said above in other posts, impersonating is way much risky now and usernames aren’t that important anymore.

2 Likes

Overall, this feature will be really helpful in lots of environments. However, a feature where it displays both Username and Display Name could be helpful, if this hasn’t been implemented already. This would stop forms of impersonation. Also, if you were to write your Display Name the same as your Username would that not allow it to be your Display Name or would it merge both your username and Display Name into one?

1 Like

I know someone has probably answered this question but I’m too lazy to go and find it.
Just reply to me with the answer if you can. Thank you!

To follow up with the first reply on this thread, will Developers/Notable Users be able to get this update first? The only reason I’m asking this is when this feature is being rolled out, people will be able to “snipe” that display name whilst that user they’re impersonating won’t be able to take that name for themselves.

I don’t believe that once there’s someone called for example ‘CoolRobloxFan’, then I think another person can also call themselves ‘CoolRobloxFan’, hence the Display Name different to Username.

However, this could be completely wrong but from what I’ve gathered if you sniped a Display Name somebody else could have the same.

Will you still be able to change your normal username for the price of 1k robux or will this no longer be an option?

2 Likes

I’d imagine they made the display name visibly distinct-able from their actual username.

1 Like

What should I change in my scripts, because I’m currently developing a new playerlist

As many other people have said before me this will most likely be used for impersonation, scammers will use this to impersonate reputable people e.g. Roblox staff.
It’s a good idea on paper but when put into practice will cause a multitude of problems.

1 Like

oh my god this is a awesome feature to be honest i just loved it. i loved this new concept it will be really helpful. like omg its amazing

No because displayname is in the Player.DisplayName property and admin scripts use Player.Name which is the actual username.

They probably already have a solution for this.

I hope so, if they do the really should list it in the announcement, because we are being left in the dark.

Hey guys I think they are aware of potential impersonation issues given how many times its been brought up, but that’s just what I think

I think that covers it. Unless that’s just me.

As be_nj said, Display Names are not unique and multiple people can have the same display name, the only unique thing is your actual username.

Yes, probably you’ll be able too, they’re also probably gonna make a system of banned names to stop impersonating

As the post states you won’t be able to put emojis, different letters, spaces etc… you can find the person by searching their @ , basically its a second name: same rules , same everything

Yes, people using Display names will have their real name under the display name (@.example under Example :roblox_light:) , so if you see someone with a @ under their name in game and probably in site, means that they have display names.
And according to some images, the @ will be darker than the display username.

As i said before, it has the same rules as normal usernames, 3 is the minimum and 20 is the maximum

These are all the answers i could bring to you, hope it helps :derp:

1 Like