Say "Hello" to Display Names!

Yeah and one time i looked up “roblox” in players and didn’t even see the official account at all

1 Like

I like it! However, it slows down moderation.

1 Like

Too bad my real name, Verne, is considered ‘obscene’ by the filter :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t see why people are so mad at this. If you try to impersonate users they can still check your username to see if you are actually the person you are impersonating. Many people view this as a free username change but it’s not like that at all

4 Likes

Alright, EVERYONE! We’ve done it!!! We have officially come across our SECOND MrFlimFlam In-game Encounter. As seeing the last user was partially attacked and this user is a user on the forums I’m blurring out his name but not his avatar :eyes:

3 Likes

lol a headless owner impersonating a builder

I can’t change my display name yet. Is it still in beta? I ask this because I see others firsthand with display names and even some friends that are close to my location.

You have to have a VPN to access them. If you have one, set it to Germany, then boom, display name.

2 Likes

Actually, I’d like to contribute my feedback for Display names, first of all, it’s great that Display names are installed so users could finally get proper usernames instead of their default usernames that are normally got because of the reason “This username is taken”.
However, I’d like to post the risk of this, you see there are numerous rule breakers around the Roblox Platform, and having Display names is like hiding them from their true username and from getting moderated if reported.

How did I say this?
Example 1: An exploiter is in-game, uses the display name to cover up their true username, now normally to report an exploiter via Support - Roblox, they’d normally ask you for evidence, e.g. YouTube video link for proof that this user is exploiting. You typed in their real username, via support, however when support reviews the video, they see the display name and they never saw the real username, now this would cause a confusion because it isn’t verified if this is really the user who exploited because their true username is hidden by their username.

Example 2: Another risk of display names is impersonation, for example what if somebody has a grudge against me, let’s also say they take my username as their display name, they take a video, either humiliating or breaking the rules and say they post it in social media, now their true username is hidden and the display name is only shown, now this would also be another risk because if they do something really stupid and take my username as a display name to impersonate me with, they could also file a report against me, and use the video as proof, since their true username is hidden while my username is used as a display name for that user.
Their evidence could also potentially frame somebody for something they didn’t do due to the impersonation of the username via the display name.

There are many potential risks in display names, and impersonation is the key factor that brings this feature as bad. However on the other hand, it is still beneficial for some users to have this, so that they could no longer stick with username such as “Paul7899” to just “Paul”.

4 Likes

Moderation will most likely require you to give a username too.

2 Likes

It’s just what I stated…

Of course in reporting you’ll have to give their username, however for reports that require proof such as moderation report for exploiters, they’ll normally require a video, and showing the display name of the exploiter in-game or rule violator, instead of their real username would be hard, because how would you prove it’s them in the first place if their display name is in display and not their real username as proof against the account of that user.

5 Likes

I don’t have a display name option in my account settings. Do I have to wait or do I have to do something?

2 Likes

I made a post here showcasing the new display name feature, and how to get it.

3 Likes

When will they become available to the average user?

2 Likes

I think that might increase the risk of filter bypass and create inconsistency.

1 Like

As you could probably understand, I hate this idea with a passion. Not for any privacy reasons or anything like others talk about. For me, it’s the fact I was the type of kid that tried to get the best possible usernames. From 3 letters, 4 letters to actual human names that were surprisingly not taken already. Now, with display names it feels like I did that for it to mean nothing now. Very first world problem of me, I know. It’s not that I want attention for my name-- actually scratch that, I feed off of the attention. I seek validation from others.

Terrible idea. I’m probably biased (I’m 100% biased I hate this so much).

3 Likes

Yay! Another thing for people to impersonate & scam others with! Cool!

But seriously, this doesn’t even help for development. It makes development worse, too.

I’ve also seen people impersonate the Roblox account with uppercase letters or numbers. This is also happening with YouTubers that are in the star program.

For example, a player impersonating Flamingo:

Keep these in mind:

• Making name changes free, or a cheaper price
  • Allowing us to disable the feature in our games
  • Allowing players to disable the feature in account settings or in-game
  • Removing the feature altogether, as it’s a unoriginal concept with absolutely no point to it whatsoever
6 Likes

You can

Not putting a display name will just make your display name your username.

1 Like

That’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying they could disable it for others on their screen for security

2 Likes

Not sure what that’s needed? All you need to do is check the leaderboard, playerlist, or chat.

1 Like