ScriptRunner - run scripts in studio

when you are building in Roblox you will often feel the slowdown of not being able to run scripts in the studio.
there are advanced programs that let you do this, but i wanted something simple and understandable.
therefore → ScriptRunner.(https://www.roblox.com/library/6881524226/ScriptRunner)

tutorial:
1. create a script

for this example, i am going to create a part and parent it to a folder
afbeelding

2. write your script
afbeelding

–note if you are running ScriptRunner in team create you have to commit your script !!!1

3. press the button (make sure the script is still open)
afbeelding

warning if this is the first time using ScriptRunner you will need to give it access to the script
you will only need to do this once
afbeelding

4.Profit
afbeelding

FAQ
1: how is this different from copying to the command bar or InCommand
this is not trying to compete with inCommand or just copying and pasting into the command bar.
this is meant as an extra tool to speed up development. I can’t be sure about the difference between inCommand as i have never used it, but here is the difference between commandbar:

• multiline text
  • ads an history event so you can use the undo button
  • you dont need to refer to everything from the game (game.workspace…) but can use script.Parent… or script:GetATributtes()
  • :Destroy() in commandbar is permanent. while in ScriptRunner it uses :Remove() to mimic roblox ingame way of using destroy
  • ScriptRunner also works if there is no script open and you just script`s selected (no need to open it)
  • after you commit your scripts, others can run it as well

updates:

• v1.1.0
    – runs LocalScript
    – if you have no script opened it searches for selected scripts (can be multiple, will not error if you accidentally select a part or moduleScript)
  • v1.2.0
    – error output (if the script you are trying to run error`s it will now show u where)
21 Likes

Oh wow! The command bar does this, but this is WAYYYYYY better! Please open it! It says the item isn’t for sale, I can see this getting popular!

3 Likes

What makes this different than the command bar, or InCommand? They seem to have a similar functionality.

7 Likes

The concept is there but as the guy above mentioned, the command bar can already do this. I don’t really see much of a use for this plugin.

3 Likes

Well, it’s free, and you can use the built in script editor.

1 Like

its open, thank you for the reply

commandbar
no longer select and copy.
instead of game.workspace… you can do script.parent
better readable than the 1 line command bar

inCommand
I never used incommand.
but it seems more advanced compared to my pluggin.
this would be the middleground between commandbar and inCommand i gues

2 Likes

So basically this is able to run scripts…

I do not see why people should use this. InCommand is available, it has script saving and highlighting, and a great UI. Why use this over InCommand?

2 Likes

Why not just copy the script you made in the editor and paste it into the console?

@SpiralRBX, @ghidras InCommand and ScriptRunner has its own pros and cons.

1 Like

thank you for the commends, usually when 1 person says something there are 10 thinking it so i added a faq at the bottom of the post

also changed some code, so you no longer have to open the file, but prioritizes an open/active file, and if there is non it will use selected files.

in terms of the command bar try this:

• open a new baseplate
  • in the commandbar use the code
    Instance.new("Part",workspace)
  • hit enter to execute the code.
  • now press undo
  • the part will still be there as commandbar doesn`t have an undo

or stuff like

for i,v in pairs(script.Parent:GetDescendants()) do
	--code here
end

compared to

for i,v in pairs(game:GetService("StarterGui").MasterGui.TopMenu.Frame:GetDescendants()) do
	--code here
end

incommand looks to me like something you would use for multiple projects.
like useful script you want to carry along with you.
Scriptrunner is more for small scripts that you can use to (for example) open and close a GUI so you can edit it.

Is there a way to stop a loop from running by this pluging?

good question,
no.
but a way to see what scripts are running and stop them might be usefull

Finally, do you know how hard it is to run code that’s longer than the command bar?

1 Like