Selection Improvements

Cool change, however settings for if the outlines get hidden behind other parts or outlines should be a thing. Also any fix for the fact that the outlines along with the entire highlight effect still shows over depth of field regardless of depth mode?

3 Likes

Turned it off as soon as I could.

This feature had completely ruined my workflow.

The selection box is disorienting and, quite frankly, a bit ugly. I do not want to see the outline of an edge of what I’m selecting that’s not on my screen.

I do not want to have to ungroup a model to select a part only to group it again because alt clicking either a) immediately selects a texture or b) selects the part behind the one I want to select.

I had no clue what I was selecting half of the time because, once again, the highlight was on every single edge BUT the ones I could see.

I hope this feature does not get pushed, or atleast stays in the beta features for those that do enjoy it. These are no improvements at all, but a slap to the face to the developers whose workflows have been ruined by even such a “miniscule” change to them.

5 Likes

A few things I noticed after a few days using it.

• Selection tool broke (forgot to take a look at the error log, sorry) where the selection stayed on a part and wouldn’t go away. Had to restart Studio. Edit: After reading the thread it seems like this happens when grouping and ungrouping a folder.
  • Seems that when a Part is set to CanQuery = false, you can’t press alt to select it. It will select the part behind it 100% of the time. This really shouldn’t happen as the only way to select the part is to look through the explorer and find it there.
  • I like to keep boundary on as you can’t get a sense of how close something is to another thing. Would be even more helpful to have the boundary when hovering over parts as well as when they are selected.
  • Performance seems to have dropped significantly when selecting a large amount of parts vs the old select tool
2 Likes

As such has been stated many times in the past, disabling betas is NOT a permanent solution, but thank you for the temporary solution.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t like this at all. I build mostly just using basic blocks, and using highlights makes it REALLY difficult and jarring to look at. I found the toggle in the View tab, but…the only two options are to use only highlight, OR BOTH highlight and SelectionBoxes at the same time…but no option to just toggle off highlights completely?? Guess I’m just confused is all, I don’t see the point in bothering to add an optional toggle if it I still have to disable the beta feature as a whole if I want to turn it off.

I realize that Highlights may be preferred by some people, and that’s fine. But it shouldn’t replace the old selection style, ESPECIALLY if the devs already built and integrated an on/off toggle for it.

3 Likes

:beetle:BUG

When CanQuery is disabled on a part, you are unable to select it if it’s nested within a model using alt+click. This is detrimental to all games which use CanQuery disabled parts.

TIP:

A similar, near-identical issue occurred when CanQuery was released for studio, CanQuery disabled parts could not be selected at all. After an update they had the exact same issue that I described here.

Here are the relevant posts on the issue when it occurred before (In order).

The last time this issue occurred it was addressed by
@kleptonaut Maybe speaking to those who dealt with it previously can aid in correcting the issue quickly.

I hope this helps and thank you!

4 Likes

This is so true the blender layout is much simpler and easier to understand. I hope they change it to look like blender

1 Like

I really hope they make the selection improvement feature optional, it is really laggy

3 Likes

Does this mean that Highlight objects will soon be able to render on objects > 0.01 transparency? This is one of the biggest drawbacks to Highlights in my opinion but doesn’t seem to be an issue for the Highlights used in this Beta.

3 Likes

The ability to turn it on/off would be really nice. It can get very overwhelming for people’s eyes, especially as you can see the outlines through any object.

1 Like

It would be nice to see this selection improvement apply to texture selection.

3 Likes

I like the improvements made, being able to see meshparts with perfect outlines is cool. but I have one extremely massive issue: You can see selections through other parts. I really don’t like this.

I don’t care about it being added in, I guarantee some people will enjoy it like this. I just care about it being the only option. I recommend adding a button that lets you enable/disable the selection being on top of all other objects, just like what you did for the old bounding boxes.

5 Likes

is this ok for tools not to have highlight?

2 Likes

PLEASE keep this optional. It’s horrible to build with & makes it difficult to determine where parts are going. It will be a huge problem if it becomes an actual feature.

3 Likes

I have a different change coming up soon which will naturally fix this (changing the base class of Tool → Model, more details to come in an announcement post).

8 Likes

When selecting multiple parts at once (I mean 100’s) it can take a long time (30-60) seconds for them to become highlighted and studio isn’t usable during this. Unlike the old selection UI. Don’t get me wrong I really like the way the new one works, it’s just that it’s super laggy when selecting a lot of parts.

3 Likes

Hi @CriticalDucky, thank you for your feedback! Would you mind elaborating on the issue you’re having with distinguishing selected items from deselected when contained within a selected item? This shouldn’t be an issue and I wasn’t able to reproduce it, so I want to understand why you’re getting this bug. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @midnightsnacks_fan, would you mind clarifying the ask? If you want to be able to change the thickness of the selection outline, you can do so in studio settings (studio settings > selection line thickness).

1 Like

@vvv331 thank you for the feedback! We’re working on the pivot and decal issues. Also, you can adjust selection outline thickness and color in Studio settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response; here is a quick elaboration:

I am selecting a rock and one of the carrots. From this angle, it’s impossible to determine which carrot I am selecting since the rock completely encompasses both carrots.

I can determine which one I am selecting by simply rotating the view:

However, this sometimes isn’t possible. Selecting stuff on walls is a challenge with the current implementation:

I think what needs to change here is how highlights are applied. Currently, all selections are group-highlighted, so highlights seem merged. This causes problems like the one shown in the video above.

11 Likes