Selection Improvements

Hi @gato_todomenso, would you mind clarifying the ask? If you want to be able to change the thickness of the selection outline, you can do so in studio settings (studio settings > selection line thickness).

1 Like

@vvv331 thank you for the feedback! We’re working on the pivot and decal issues. Also, you can adjust selection outline thickness and color in Studio settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response; here is a quick elaboration:

I am selecting a rock and one of the carrots. From this angle, it’s impossible to determine which carrot I am selecting since the rock completely encompasses both carrots.

I can determine which one I am selecting by simply rotating the view:

However, this sometimes isn’t possible. Selecting stuff on walls is a challenge with the current implementation:

I think what needs to change here is how highlights are applied. Currently, all selections are group-highlighted, so highlights seem merged. This causes problems like the one shown in the video above.

11 Likes

Def agree with this, adds a level of depth

1 Like

Yes, I know that we can change the line thickness from the selection one, but I’m wondering if we will ever get that feature for the normal Highlight instance that we developers use.

1 Like

After using the new selection system for a little while now and the hype for it died down for myself, I have one big gripe with it.

With the old selection system, alt + click would select the child of a model you’re hovering over. Since now, alt + click now is selection cycling instead. As a long time studio user, this very often throws me off as you can no longer really do that with the old keybind and instead need to use Alt + CTRL + Click, which is the select multiple children shortcut.

I hope that this changes for the sake of those who have used studio for a longer than 3 months and have this shortcut grained into them.

2 Likes

Hi @ItsKoiske – thank you for your feedback! To clarify, alt + click should initially select the atomic object of the model you’re hovering over (this behavior hasn’t changed with this beta feature). What has changed is that, if you alt+click multiple times, then selection cycling will occur. Is the multiple alt+clicks triggering selection cycling what is frustrating in you workflow?

2 Likes

We should have option to:

1. Not highlight objects that have transparency of 1, issue shown above (transparent box is highlighted in a vehicle). You could call this “Do not highlight invisible objects” checkbox.
  2. Not merge highlight for multiple selected objects as @LaAeroooo shown in their reply. You can call this one “Do not merge highlight for multiple selections” checkbox.
1 Like

It doesn’t seem to work like that for me although I believe it’s because of the fact that the parts I’ve been specifically working with lately have had “CanQuery” disabled.

This is alt clicking right now:

From what I remember and has been confirmed by others who I asked, alt clicking should work on the part regardless of the query property’s toggled on or not.

1 Like

Is there a way to turn of AlwaysOnTop. Makes it hard to tell when things actually are with it always on top and sorta hurts my eyes.

Please consider adding it if it doesn’t already exist.

1 Like

The outline doesn’t appear to work on Gear instances!

*Tool

Apparently it seems to highlight only on models, meshes and part cuz it’s a class and not an Object group, however i have bounding box enabled and it just does have bound covering each parts.

1 Like

Mostly a nice update, one issue is alt selecting grouped instances with decals/textures on now directly selects the texture instead of the instance itself. Is this going to be changed/reverted to how it worked before?

1 Like

Recently used this for the first time and its very confusing for me, I don’t understand when I choose to go back to the boxed selection, I’m still given the outline that shows through other parts. When it comes to aligning things with walls, it has now become more difficult then it needed to be. Would a setting in “studios settings” between legacy and updated not be a better choice for those who preference the old studio bounding box?

3 Likes

please please please make this available as a usable object like the selection box object, this would be so useful for things like vfx and design as a whole

I’m sorry but the so called “Selection Improvements” do not mave any significant improvements to the selection system at all, if anything they make them worse and more inconvient and infurating to use. Selection outline have multiple issues like if you cover a selected object with another selected object, it completely removes the outline from said object.
But worst is the Selection Cycling system. I want to get to a specific part within a model but when I try using alt-click it just decides “nope you wanted to select an object behind the one you have your mouse over, we’ll also decide to select the texture of the object instead of the part itself to make it even more inconvient for you!”

4 Likes

The selection outlines now being represented in pixels and not studs is such a small yet significant change!

Makes me go from 300fps to 30 fps once I select something now, had to turn it off :frowning:

I’m gonna be honest, I prefer this kind of selection box

If the Selection Improvements does exit beta and get implemented though, I hope we get an option to use the “old” selection boxes

4 Likes

It’s a beta feature, so you can disable it.