We want to empower you to earn and build sustainable businesses on Roblox.
Last month, we gave creators of experiences another way to earn by inserting Immersive Ads directly into their experience as a potential way to monetize. Today, we are giving you access to an open beta of Ads Manager so you can create and manage Immersive Ads with an easy-to-use self-serve tool.
Immersive Ads are native ads within Roblox experiences that allow creators to reach their audiences at scale in an innovative, engaging, and safe way. People here are keen to explore and discover new experiences. There are 66MM+ people on Roblox every day who are on average visiting ~14 new experiences a month.
By running a campaign with portal ads and/or image ads, you can reach and engage millions of people exploring Roblox experiences every day. People who are actively engaged in a session can see your brand (image ad) or be able to learn about your experience and transport into a specific area within it (portal ad). In our early testing, brand advertisers saw portal ads drive over 90% net new users to their experiences.
Non-clickable static images with a door that teleports users to another experience.
Non-clickable static images within the 3D space of an experience.
Ads Manager enables Immersive Ad creation, management, reporting, and billing. You can pick between image ads to drive awareness and portal ads to drive visits to experiences. Ads are priced on a CPM (cost per mille (thousand) impressions) or a CPT (cost per teleport).
*Metrics and other information displayed in the video are for demonstration purposes only.
We are giving you access to the Ads Manager open beta to receive your valued feedback so we can iterate and improve the product. Opening-up Ads Manager to anyone is a step towards our long-term goal to build Immersive Ads so creators and brands can reach and engage their audience at scale to achieve their business objectives.
Because Ads Manager only accepts payment via credit card, advertisers who wish to spend large budgets using a line of credit should contact our brand partnerships team or visit the Roblox Partner site to contact us.
To get started, you can go directly to the Ads Manager Creator Hub documentation to learn more about how to start creating and managing your Immersive Ads step-by-step. You can also get familiar with our recent announcement introducing our Advertising Standards.
We are just getting started and are ramping up more ad publishers (developers showing ads in their experience) and advertisers in the coming months. We are bringing on brands to the platform so that Immersive Ads can become another way for creators of any size to earn from publishing ads. During the beta, prices may continue to fluctuate as we work on finding the right balance between available ad supply and advertising budgets.
Looking ahead, we have many exciting features we are planning to release:
Significant UI improvements including editing, deleting, filtering, and ad creative thumbnails.
More ad audiences, reporting, and metrics.
Ability to accept larger payments and other methods beyond credit cards.
Ability to support complex organizations with many ad accounts, users, and permissioning and access controls.
Dynamic and increased spend limits and spending thresholds based on successful payments.
We look forward to hearing your feedback.
Click here to view the FAQ!
How do I add Immersive Ads into my experience?
- For more details, please visit our documentation site.
What if I don’t have a credit card to buy ads? Will there be a way to use Robux?
- Ads Manager does not support Robux as a form of payment to buy Immersive Ads.
How does the ad auction and pricing work?
- Roblox runs an auction to determine the best ad to show when there is an ad opportunity. Advertisers set the maximum price they are willing to pay as CPM (cost per thousand impressions) or CPT (cost per one teleport). Roblox considers the player and ad information to generate an eCPM (effective cost per thousand impressions) value for each ad in the request. All eligible ads participate in a second price auction. The ad with the highest bid wins the ad slot, but only charges the price of the second highest price, plus one cent.
Can I still create Sponsored Experiences and Sponsored Items?
- Yes, you can still create Sponsored Ads: Sponsored Experiences and Sponsored Items by navigating to the Creator Dashboard and in the left-hand navigation, select Sponsored Ads. We will be making more improvements to our Sponsored ads system in the coming months and will share more with you.
How long does it take for moderation approval?
- Each ad submitted to Roblox is human reviewed to ensure it follows Roblox Advertising Standards. Roblox tries to complete moderation within 24 hours for each ad submitted. Ads that do not pass moderation show the status of “rejected.” If you’re curious why your ad got rejected, please check to make sure it complies with all elements of the Advertising Standards here.
How can I choose which experience displays my ads?
- Advertisers have various expectations around the context in which their ads are placed on Roblox. Because of this, Roblox has curated an initial set of experiences to show ads that are likely to be appropriate for a broad range of advertisers. Eligibility to be shown in more experiences will be gradually opened up throughout 2023. Advertisers cannot choose which specific experience displays your ads, nor can developers select which ads appear in their experiences.
Is any content eligible to be an ad?
To start, we will be approving ads that are only in English. Ads in other languages will be rejected. We have plans to accept and deliver ads in more languages in the future.
As advertising evolves on our platform and we introduce Immersive Ads at scale later this year, we share and maintain the rules for practices and content for our Immersive Ads program in our Advertiser and Publisher Integrity and Prohibited Advertising Content sections of our Advertising Standards. You can learn more in our recent Simplifying Community Standards & Introducing Advertising Standards.
Why do I have to be 18 years old to buy ads on this new platform?
- Because Roblox requires credit card payments for ads purchased in Ads Manager instead of Robux, and Roblox only allows users over the age of 18 to make real-money transactions on the Platform, we are only allowing 18+ users to create Immersive Ad campaigns via Ads Manager.
For Immersive Ads, can advertisers reach users of all ages on Roblox?
While Roblox is a platform for all ages, we are designing our Immersive Ads product to reach users ages 13 and older. When a user under the age of 13 comes across an ad unit, rather than displaying the advertising content, the ad unit will display the Roblox logo.
Publishers can also remove the ad unit(s) altogether for those users by utilizing PolicyService API. For more information, see Removing Ad Units from Ineligible Users.
How does Roblox protect advertisers?
At Roblox, we diligently combat ad fraud using advanced detection methods for bots and other fraudulent activities. We ensure advertisers don’t pay for fraudulent traffic and regularly adjust billing and reporting to safeguard their interests.
Per Roblox’s Advertising Standards, if anyone engages in malicious practices to inflate impressions or teleports, Roblox may deduct Robux from their expected payout or reclaim fraudulently earned Robux. In addition, Roblox may suspend the violator’s experience and/or account.
Will Immersive Ads created through Ads Manager be labeled and disclosed?
- Yes. Ads that are created in Ads Manager will automatically have the label “Ad.”
What are some best practices for advertisers to follow to avoid fraudulent behavior?
To avoid fraudulent behavior and maintain advertising integrity, advertisers should follow these best practices:
- Do not attempt to upload malware to the Roblox Ad Manager.
- Do not provide false identification or payment information to Roblox.
- Do not make fraudulent refund requests or dispute payments for services properly rendered.
Also, note that Roblox may suspend ad campaigns or advertiser accounts for non-payment of services properly rendered.