Simple document for planning out your future game

Hi there, as you start to create your future game, you may find it easier to list out what needs to be there before going into coding. By doing this, it will allow you to understand what you want by typing or writing your ideas. Here are the steps for kick-starting your planning:

1. Attached is a link to a Google document, click it.
  2. Click File > Make A Copy > Name your copy.

I wish you the best of luck! If you have any questions, you can DM me here on the devforum. :slight_smile:

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AqL6zqoj3dR6LH1VTOelC2XTwvZi4ervn9xM3WIS8qU/edit?usp=sharing

Trello Management

36 Likes

I was just looking for something like this, I have so many ideas in my head and I needed a nice way to put them down and I think this document will do the trick, thank you for spending your time to make this. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m getting an error that the file has been deleted when I go to check on the link

From the copy I made though, this seems very straight-forward and an awesome design document. I can definitely see this being used to flesh out the initial structure of a game or to brief new members of a development team as to the game’s planned trajectory.

4 Likes

Glad I helped out! The point is to kick start your game by planning out the basics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is awesome that you were able to release this. It looks like this is actually helping out with my game development as this helps me brainstorm ideas and list them to develop later! You should also add a checklist so that multiple developers on a team can mark things as done (even though they can create their own in the first place, it is still helpful to have there done already!).

2 Likes

I gave this a try since I was bored & ultimately this was pretty fun to use to be able to list & plan out some key goals for a game. Very nice resource!

1 Like

UPDATE
I’ve added in 2 new sections to this document: Development Road Map and Hiring. I feel that this topic hasn’t been touched on and I felt that having these will be beneficial for those first starting. I’ve also fixed the OP to have better formatting. Happy developing!

Not the best document for planning games. Especially now that it’s in the “owners trash bin”?

I think you should be teaching the viewer how to plan out their game with instructions, not slap them with a document to fill out and hope it makes sense.

Might want to do something about the “in owners trash” issue for the document as-well.

Wow… Really nice… I will definitly make something similar to this for my game.

1 Like

Please realize that it’s in the owners trash because it allows you to create a copy. Also, it’s meant to plan out a game, it has hypothetical questions to allow you to brainstorm it.

What you are saying shows you haven’t read the OP

1 Like

Could you also make a plan suited for solo developers? Like a game which only has one developer working on it.

That can be looked into. The document serves for both but I can work on creating a template road map for both situations

1 Like

Nice, that would be great looking forward for you to creating it

1 Like

I never knew I needed this until now, Thanks!

2 Likes

No there isn’t to my knowledge, if you do find one then you can link it here, keep the assumptions away for now.

I’ve added Trello planning so that you can see how you can manage your time. It’s a bit empty, however, one tip is you should be as specific as you can. Here is the link: Trello

2 Likes

Update 9/28
Recently, Google announced that it’ll delete anything the trash after a date (thanks Google, totally love that!). I fixed up the instructions for creating a copy instead of taking it out of the trash since the trash will be taken care of in October by Google. Thank you for using it!