Simplifying Community Standards & Introducing Advertising Standards

Does this mean that third-party calls for analytics provided by services that also sell ad services cannot be made or are all third-party analytical services banned?

8 Likes

The translated versions of the Community Standards in other languages such as Portuguese and Spanish have not been updated since 2019

There is a notice on these translated pages that the english version prevails and that the translations are for reference only, but I don’t believe they could be that outdated.

Here is a screenshot:
Last updated date: September 10th, 2019

8 Likes

Question: If I promote my game’s group in-game for users to join, or promote rewards for game visit/like/favorite milestones, is this advertising? Technically, the group is out-of-experience, but still directly related to the game…

7 Likes

While I appreciate the simplification of the Community Standards, everything else shows a clear drive by Roblox to monopolize and push other ad agencies (Superbiz etc.) off the platform, completely unacceptable.

This is not a good thing for developers and will allow Roblox to take a ridiculous cut off of their own ad system that is supposedly coming soon, we need more competition, not less.

Not only does this effect traditional image/video ads, this also effects integrations cutting our possible impressions in half, prompting the question: why would any advertiser want to integrate into a Roblox game anymore if they can only get half of the impressions that they were before?

5 Likes

From what I know you aren’t advertising anything, you are simply showing them your Group, which shouldn’t be advertising, but if it’s classified as advertising then…

5 Likes

Since I can’t post a feature-request and @Bug-Support would unfortunately be way too slow for this rollout, I just want raise my concerns with this update via a feature-request-like format. Because the message is very long, I’ll post a link to a #bulletin-board thread I made about it: Advertising Guidelines Can’t Work And Need A Re-draft

EDIT: This has since been approved as a feature-request!

4 Likes

Am I reading correctly that depicting romantic relationships, as long as it is not between users, is now permitted?

Was expecting this change based on the previous leaks (and already have games in the works) but have not seen any official confirmation of this outside of the change in Community Standards.

Edit: The same is also true for alcohol references. The new standards do not make any mention of prohibiting alcohol, only drunkenness. This was also an expected change from the new leaks, which does leave me with a question:

As the leaks were related to upcoming age restrictions, are we allowed to implement romantic & alcohol references immediately, or do we have to wait for the age questionnaire to be updated?

3 Likes

Since its leaked content I’m inclined to believe you have to wait until they officially announce/add support for it

2 Likes

The leak was that it was planned. The community standards as updated today indicate that such content is now allowed.

2 Likes

It’s funny how mad people get over simple changes like these. As @Witchrie said, it’s illegal in some countries to advertise to children, and even in the U.S., child advertising is fairly tricky. Even though it isn’t targeted, I think this is the step in the right direction to avoid lawsuits about ads.

2 Likes

Honestly, a little scared about this, but at the same time, we’re just gonna have to see what comes out of this.

2 Likes

My issue is not with the rules themselves but rather that developers are not equipped to be able to follow the policy, see my reply above as to why every game with an advertisement is breaking the policy no matter what PolicyService checks they use.

3 Likes

I’m probably in the wrong category of thought here. But what’s the deal about fan games? Like if I created a game, and put in the description “credit to [GAME] for some of the content used here.” would that count as advertising? Is the entire game an ad?

2 Likes

So according to the new PolicyService API, this means I can add lootcrates to my game, as long as I check if the player’s “ArePaidRandomItemsRestricted” boolean is true without having to worry about my game being given like a 13+ restriction, etc; Correct?

2 Likes

The truth is that what makes me angry is that there are a total of more than 10 topics speaking against the bad publicity of Roblox and apart from that they are going to make it worse and make it “safer” this is worse than YouTube KIDS the truth is bad to worse but by God. we can not place age category for ads??? but hey, it doesn’t affect them because they already have enough games that generate money, I’m just saying that it’s fine but now we small developers will have to work harder

español:
la verdad lo que me saca la rabia es que hay en total mas de 10 temas hablando en contra de la mala publicidad de roblox y aparte de eso la van a empeorar y volver “mas segura” esto esta peor que youtube KIDS la verdad de mal a peor pero que por dios. no podemos colocar categoria de edades para anuncios??? pero bueno, a ellos no les afecta porque ya tienen bastantes juegos que generan dinero solo digo que esta bien pero ahora nos tocara trabajar mas duro a los desarrolladores pequeños

frances: frances : la vérité c’est que ce qui me met en colère c’est qu’il y a au total plus de 10 sujets parlant contre la mauvaise publicité de roblox et à part ça ils vont empirer les choses et le rendre “plus sûr” c’est pire que youtube KIDS la vérité de mal en pis mais pour l’amour de Dieu. nous ne pouvons pas placer de catégorie d’âge pour les annonces ??? mais bon, ça ne les affecte pas car ils ont déjà assez de jeux qui génèrent de l’argent, je dis juste que ça va mais maintenant nous les petits développeurs allons devoir travailler plus dur

@Dede_4242 please focus on the topic, do not leave or change the conversation

2 Likes

You should have always been using this! This was always a feature and your game needs to use it. It blocks the feature in certain regions.

1 Like

Sadly that’s the truth, tehy don’t care about us little Developers because they already have Games like Jailbreak and Adopt Me! that are already making them rich, why should they care about us?

And also they aren’t giving us the right tools to check if they are 13+ (only way is to check if ads are allowed, which doesn’t make sense)
And it isn’t even clear what an advertisement is, Roblox…

Okay!

1 Like

This seems to be targeting ads that promote out-of-experience or off-Roblox products. What about in-experience items, though not directly created by the developer?

For example, let’s say you allow users to purchase an ad inside of your experience, to promote an item that said user is selling in your experience, for in-experience currency.

These technically are ads, but they’re entirely in-experience and do not try to direct anyone out of your experience at all. Do these have to go through the PolicyService API now?

2 Likes

Woah, there is a lot of clutter in the thread’s replies.

It’s nice to see the language simplified in the Community Standards article. Ultimately it should be easy to understand since it’ll be the primary article when referencing what’s appropriate for the platform or for users to understand the laws of the land on the platform. The Terms of Service should be the one with all the legalese and more complex, explicit language about using the platform’s services. Doesn’t seem like anything’s different albeit some posts above suggesting otherwise; just a language change.

Although I believe I was one of the developers a tad sour about the updates to audiences applicable to see advertisements, that was mostly in the vein of lack of any note of potential alternatives considered. To me, I was on a one-track mind of “Roblox removed yet another program and its audience while failing to provide a compensatory alternative”. I’ve gotten over that. I think that having more regulation and choice on advertisements are a much appreciated thing. I mean, I use an ad blocker as it is, so I should know the pain of being aggressively advertised without a choice.

This is good, PolicyService is being put to good use.

2 Likes

You didn’t quite answer my question correctly. Roblox has been restricting games to 13+ for gambling, lootcrates, etc. So if I add this new feature, I can avoid my game from becoming 13+, correct?

1 Like