Social Media Links

I guess this exists now.

Didn’t know it did (or rather I saw it but my brain filtered it out of existence) until I saw a thread regarding the use of the feature and how the word “Discord” was blocked on it.

silent update why?

16 Likes

Was so confused at why you were saying the update was silent, I completely missed the screenshot is the group admin page and not the feature this post was originally talking about. So silent I didn’t even understand when presented with it. That’s unusual for Roblox.

10 Likes

Oh, that’s neat.

Thankfully you posted about this otherwise I wouldn’t have known.

3 Likes

Don’t use the word Discord. Simple fix. Instead of saying “Join our Discord Server” say “Join our server”

Discord is still against the filter because Discord is still a banned entity. The social links are a way they can show Discord to ONLY 13+ users.

5 Likes

yeah I said ‘Server’ and it worked, the icon lets people know it’s discord anyhow.

I don’t think there will be any confusion

2 Likes

That’s great and all, but this entire page needs a fresh UI overhaul. On a serious note this is a good feature, and I’m glad it was added.

4 Likes

The maximum length of the sentences may want to be decreased.

8 Likes

I already made a bug report about this, they said it was being fixed shortly.

2 Likes

Hi developers,

As some of you have noticed, we have a new social link-related update. Here’s the official post!

As of a few days ago, we have added functionality so you can link your Discord, Twitter, or YouTube community directly to your Roblox group. Please note that only 13+ players will be able to see social links since all of these channels are 13+ channels.

image%20(1)

To add social links to your group, go to the Group Admin page and navigate to the Social Links tab. (For now, only group owners will be able to add social links. We will most likely add social links as a permission level.) From there, you can add up to three social links and one social link per channel as usual. As a reminder, only 13+ players will be able to set social links for their group. The length issue of each social link will be fixed soon by another update. Stay tuned!

Best,
Caelestene.

25 Likes

I think the point is that it should be kept brief and direct. Abstracting what you’ve got on those two buttons you could easily have

“Follow me/us on twitter!”

“Nexus Community Discord”

These are faster and easier to read for users, and it’s obvious what the buttons do, they just need to know roughly what they are.

2 Likes

What permissions have access to changing these? Is it edit game access, a different setting, or group owner?

1 Like

Group owner only based on what I’ve seen so far.

5 Likes

Is there any reason to add a group permission for something like this? Seems like an extra option which would basically be pointless. A group’s social links aren’t going to change often (if they ever even change after being added), and it isn’t something which a group owner would need other administrators to manage since it isn’t something that ever really needs changing. The cases far and few between could easily be managed by the group owner, as it only takes a moment to do.

Seems like a pernission which wouldn’t be utilized, and when it will, it will probably be done with malicious intent. We’ve seen cases where trusted group administrators end up abusing their role, and with this it could be done to advertise something of theirs.

3 Likes

Being able to add multiple of the same social media site would be really useful. For projects that have more than 1 person working on them it becomes a debate over who gets to use what links. It’s harder to gain a bigger following if you need to make a new studio Twitter account for every new person you work with, it’d be easier to just let us have 2-3 Twitter links.

10 Likes

Are links to Roblox groups on the game page only visible to 13+ users or all users?

2 Likes

Yes, 13+ only.

3 Likes

That wasn’t a yes or no question…

Anyway, <13 users can’t see ANY social links. Even ones for groups.

6 Likes

I’d love to see Twitter + Roblox Groups whitelisted for 12 and under, since these links are already allowed in game descriptions. That would be really helpful for building the community around Adopt Me, since our players are mainly under 13.

7 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but i’m pretty sure that Twitter ToS states that users must be 13+.

That only applies to making an account though. I’m pretty sure anybody regardless of age can go on Twitter. If that was the case Roblox would’ve probably not whitelisted Twitter or Youtube as allowed external links.

5 Likes