[ENABLED as of May 28] SocialService Game Invites are Live

There are no limitations against a paid access game. This usecase is totally within reason if you wanted to reward the first player to send an invitation to a user. At this time, we do not have a way to verify which invitation was RSVP’d when a user joins the game, but that should not prevent you from setting up a basic version of this model. :smile:

A very good question. CanUserSendGameInviteAsync is not the same as CanUserChatAsync. The ChatService:CanUserChatAsync tests against the in-game chat setting and the SocialService:CanUserSendGameInviteAsync tests against the app/website chat setting (among other checks).

This is a very important distinction to make and I am happy you brought it up!

25 Likes

Glad to hear that. Developers already have the ability to tell whenever a player joins a game by following another player. Are there plans to expose information to developers for when a player joins via an invite?

17 Likes

I’ve got lots of ideas that I can’t wait to try out with this new feature, I’ve been hyped since i saw its addition in the changelogs.

5 Likes

These are the cutting-edge features we need to power the present and future developers of Roblox. Huge props for releasing this! :+1:

6 Likes

Would it be possible to send an invite to the current place rather than the start place of the universe in the future? I could see that being used for a sort of “Invite to Group” system

16 Likes

This. I have a universe set up where people play ‘rounds’ in groups of four using TeleportToPrivateServer and Reserved Servers. I would like to have users join mid-game in these rounds. SocialService can’t do this right now?

16 Likes

As of now, this is not possible by SocialService alone, but I also would like to push for @Xiousa’s stance on SocialService to be applicable to current places as well. :+1:

4 Likes

Seems that SocialService still makes it impossible for players to follow their friends into a place that’s not the start place.

Perhaps time to get some support behind this feature request: Game Setting To Allow Other Players To Join A Non-Start Place of a Game

14 Likes

Oh bet, this is neat stuff. I’m gonna check this out now.

6 Likes

I’ve just made made a feature request for this.

9 Likes

So, I did some quick testing in my own place on the new API.
I have some suggestions on improved functionality that could benefit developers and users.

Currently, when you invite someone from within the game, and they click the “Play” prompt, it acts as though the player went to the game page and clicked play;

I believe the behavior of the invite should more closely represent that of clicking “Follow” or “Join in Game” on someone’s profile like this;

The reasoning for this is I believe that the intention of inviting someone to a game is to get them to follow you into a specific server in a place, and not just to play the game in general.

This could benefit the developer as well as it’d allow them to easily track successful invites without too much work on their end, it’d also remove the need for Roblox staff to make changes to the back-end to track this info, as it’d use systems already present on the platform.

22 Likes

In addition, this can mean the API could lead to false positives, which can throw off the intention of this API, as well as future use of it by developers.

3 Likes

Useful feature!

But also, can :SetCore(“PromptSendFriendRequest”), :SetCore(“PromptUnfriend”), :SetCore(“PromptBlockPlayer”) and :SetCore(“PromptUnblockPlayer”) be moved to SocialService? I don’t really get why they’d be in :SetCore

30 Likes

Seems like an awesome feature. Will definitely use it for my project!

5 Likes

Excellent feature! I can definitely imagine a few use cases for this. Especially that event! Referrals, required multiplayer games, special events.

Can’t wait to try it out in my next game.

3 Likes

Exciting feature!

One but i’ve noticed a bug which is that if you invite someone in the GUI that is promoted from the Server you can invite them again from the GUI prompted from the Client

3 Likes

Expanding on from that it would be pretty neat if we could have something along :PromptGroupInvite(player,groupID) of which would prompt something similar to the product purchase prompt - but instead ask if a player wants to join a group. There’s an increasing amount of games that reward players somehow by being in the group, a simple 500 points extra a day or some exclusive content.

21 Likes

In the demo place linked, it seems that inviting from the new GUI works, but using the esc menu invite menu doesn’t cause an alert to appear.

2 Likes

This is a really great feature and I have some great ideas of what I want to use this for, but it would be really cool if we could target a specific users friend with an invite (requiring player confirmation).

2 Likes

How can I check if the invitation was accepted by a User?

This is useful but we can’t make a referal system at this current state can we? Not with this current API.

I really wonder why it wasn’t added, was it neglected?

I was excited at first but very disappointed after, the feature falls short on itself, You know what we want but it’s not delivered.

Either way I expect that we get improvements for this feature as it’s just released but also other upcoming features.

(I hope this isn’t seen as a hateful comment, all I want is Roblox to improve greatly and us Developers to be satisfied)

10 Likes