Somehow, this game managed to entirely disable the CoreGui escape menu and button

Go here, then join a game (not studio). [To clarify, I mean join a game match inside this Roblox game]

You will notice that the Roblox button is invisible and pressing escape instead opens a custom menu.

This is pretty interesting since it’s the first time I’ve ever seen something like this happen. The only time I have ever come close to messing with that level of CoreGui was by using CT’s modded studio and a glitch

Any speculation on how they managed to pull this off and whether or not it’s “legal”?

48 Likes

I’m pretty sure that your not suppose to do this lol.

8 Likes

I opened up dev console, and this is what I saw:

One thing that caught my eye is the TestService: AddCoreScript 46295863 "CoreScripts/Settings" line. I checked the ID, and ended up here:

This seems to be the old settings menu! I opened it up in notepad (studio errors if you try to insert it as a model, even though it’s a .rbxmx file), and I can say this was made at least before Instance:WaitForChild() function came out.
Only one question remains unanswered - how was the default settings menu disabled?
Even I don’t know, but looking at the first messages in the console it’s possible that some script forces the topbar corescript to not load and error.

28 Likes

Ive seen this happen before. I moderate that game so I’m not sure how they do it. They do it for the nostalgia purposes since its an old roblox simulator

10 Likes

I kind of don’t see a problem with it, as long as they’re not doing anything wrong, but it is worrying. Kind of wanted to know how to do it tbh. I hope this game doesn’t get banned or anything. I really hope so, I was gonna play it but forgot to, I was like, omg imma make a good game here if it supports script yay

5 Likes

Maybe not but this should highkey be a feature. Devs could add so many things to the escape page to fit the game.

8 Likes

I don’t see how it would be beneficial to developers, aside from customizing the theme.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what’s good about it :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Since he messed around with the Topbar module imma look into that

1 Like

I just tested out the game and it has me wondering because I actually have no idea as to how they were able to pull this off

1 Like

I still see the Roblox button. Pressing escape still has normal functionality.

3 Likes

Yeah, but it’s still intriguing that they can disable the Topbar.

1 Like

Probably because it’s type is “Lua” and not a model / script, I don’t think you can open models that are scripts in the notepad, could be wrong but yeah. Never saw the type as just “Lua”.

2 Likes

You have to click a game and play and poof it’s gone

3 Likes

Not for me.

I mean, you can do that with StarterGui service.

1 Like

I don’t know for sure if it’s allowed, but looking at this from a different standpoint is if this isn’t allowed what if it was allowed and all the possibilities for roblox game developers.

2 Likes

That would be chaotic and mobile users require it to properly leave a game

6 Likes

No. When you join a game within that game, the default Roblox menu will not appear and instead a custom one will show when you press esc

1 Like

Just to provide clarification: He meant that you had to join the game within the game (go to play → Click on a game → Top bar and esc menu are replaced)

Anyways to answer OP: I have my theories on how it could have possibly been done but I’m not confident they would work

As for if games should do this? I’m on the fence…

On the one hand, if games do replace the core guis, it does allow you to have a menu that better fits the game’s theme. In this case, the retro esc menu fits the retro aesthetic of the game.

On the other hand, having 30 million different esc menu guis could make it hard for players to navigate to change their settings. Having a consistent esc menu makes sure that players have at least one functional and familiar thing to navigate so if they need to do something they can find it in that menu in any game. (In this case - the esc menu is still simple to navigate even though it’s totally different)

Personally I think generally I will stay away from changing the esc menu in my games. The esc menu and top bar never truly bothered me for my games, but I can see how other games might benefit from changing them.

8 Likes

The problem here is that this is a security issue and the developers of this game shouldn’t be allowed to do this irrespective of their intention. Roblox explicitly doesn’t allow you to modify the CoreGui or layer developer Guis over them for security purposes and this is an obvious bypass. Their method needs to be investigated and patched so it doesn’t happen in any other live games.

13 Likes