Sponsored Experiences moving to Ads Manager

Roblox it should not be taking 10 hours+ (I’m still awaiting approval) to approve ads. What’s going on?!

2 Likes

having an ad manager which isn’t 10 years outdated is a step in the right direction and being able to schedule ads, target different regions, etc is awesome, but can we start testing updates for at least 15 minutes before releasing them

4 Likes

It seems like there are still issues with the sponsor system, clearly this wasn’t tested and is most definitely NOT ready to be shipped out.

This is a classic case of Roblox Quality Control.

6 Likes

Indeed, the issues are overwhelmingly visible and affect just about anyone hoping to use ads. Roblox made it clear that they’re siding with large corporations with this change, but hilariously enough, wouldn’t bugs that subtract and negate the effectiveness of ads make even the corporations feel cheated out of their funding and time? I just can’t think of any way this new system could benefit anyone.

If they were going to release it in such a rushed and unfinished state, they could’ve at least kept the old system around for a few months and eased into the new one rather than drastically shifting to an objectively worse system with terrible metrics and money-draining glitches.

A lot of people talk about quitting development on Roblox due to its notoriously terrible updates, but never actually do it. This topic is the first time I’ve seen people who seemingly, truly intend to quit over an update (and I myself am even considering it). I’m not sure if Roblox understands how large of an audience they would lose if all the developers of unique experiences quit, but they seem to be tempting such an occurrence to happen.

I genuinely think listening to investors who have no idea of the culture behind the platform and are just looking for a quick return on their investment, is going to be the reason for Roblox’s downfall. First, they’ll scare off all their “developers” (or as Roblox so graciously calls us, “ugc creators”, the better and more legally avoidant term), which will end in a lack of unique games besides clickbaity grinding simulators, which will scare away any playerbase looking for a game that has actual fun or memories to be made with it, and finally leave Roblox with nothing but the material profits they made in the process of wrecking their platform. And it seems this update could potentially be the first domino to that.

4 Likes

George Orwell approves.

No. Roblox would not do this at all. Not with their new systems. Newer Roblox updates seem to have been rushed and not ready for release at all. Roblox SERIOUSLY needs to fire a lot of their teams, and get better ones. This is a multi-bn dollar company we’re talking about here.

Because it makes sense. This update is literally going to crush most developers’ opportunities to make profitable games on Roblox. The off-Roblox indie game industry is about to start booming in the next few years (not like it isn’t, but it’s about to get a whole lot bigger).

I’m with you all the way on this. Let’s face it — we’re both game designers. I’m a lead developer & founder of my studio that’s had to have a reform in the past due to ad complications. We almost had a successful game, but then the sponsorships just mysteriously stopped working. Note that this was 2022.

With the way the new system’s looking, the future ain’t looking too bright for newer devs like me. My team has also reviewed the new system and has the same opinions I do. At first I had a glimmer of hope but now that people are complaining that it’s on & off I don’t know what to think anymore.

I joined roblox almost 8 years ago in Februrary of 2016, and it’s really sad to see how the platform has changed for developers. I’m not saying every change has been bad, but Roblox seriously needs to step it up a notch when it comes to quality control & listening to the community.

3 Likes

Not just this update, but also I’ve seen people say they’ll quit Roblox over the Marketplace Policy Update. Even though it’s “paused”, because they’re been an avalanche of complaining, there’s still a lot of concern the update will go into place anyway since it wasn’t outright cancelled.

2 Likes

Not very friendly to us small devs minimum 3k robux to do a sponsored ad

4 Likes

I wanted to give this update sometime to see how it all feels and works and tbh, I’m not liking it.

Wow, these are some really good results for 10ad credits.

I won’t say much as to not spiral off-topic, but that marketplace update would crush so many games if it came back. I myself would probably quit if it made a return.

The point is, there’s a lot of stuff wrong with Roblox at the moment, this topic included, and I can only hope Roblox cares enough to not repel their entire developer community. Ruining ads is definitely beginning to repel many creators from what I’m seeing.

1 Like

To keep things on topic, this Ad update, imo is indicative of the direction ROBLOX is going.
The corporate people and larger game studios are moving in and independent creators and people just doing roblox as a fun hobby are being subtly pushed away.
Someone previously said that user Ads bring charm to the site, and they did, but removing them imo is not as intrusive to the regular Roblox player and creator as the Marketplace Policy Update.

Both of the updates, as well as a few others, together show the larger picture of Roblox’s general direction.

3 Likes

Over all, I think the new sponsor system is better for entry level developers than the last one.

Previously if you didn’t have a significant amount of robux you had to buy it first, which put you at a disadvantage compared to seasoned developers.

A 3000 robux sponsor used to cost over $30 in robux purchases. With the new system you can make the same sponsor for $10, since existing developers have to pay 2850 robux for 10 ad credits.

It’s not worse for existing developers either, the market will determine the rates just like before. And with the ability to set a maximum bid per play, there is more room to make a profit from sponsors.

I think most of the negative sentiment people are showing is a result of bugs and an unintuitive, poorly made website. Once the site is improved and the bugs are fixed I think people will have a generally positive opinion of it.

4 Likes

What was your Max Bid set to on that run? I’m still struggling to find a source that says what good number is.

1 Like

BUG:
Reproduction: Go to the official page of an experience you can edit. Select the “Sponsor this Experience” button

Expected behavior: I should be redirected to Ads Manager

Actual behavior: I end up on a blank page on the Roblox website.

subtly? i’d say roblox has been very vocal about getting the indies out. sneakily increasing devex rates over the years and the big sponsor meltdown, which was the last viable way for on-site advertisement, made that pretty clear.

1 Like

Its more subtle than Roblox banning anyone who’s an indie dev.

2 Likes

I just received an ad credit refund…
Except all my ads have been paying directly by card.
Surely any refunds should come out of my pending USD balance not ad credits.
The ad credits I have received are below the minimum to run an ad, so this refund is entirely worthless to me.
It feels like a betting site that says “Woo you get 100 of free credit, oh but you have to spend money to use it!”.
Refunds either need to be applied in the format the ad spend was, or ad credits need to be usable to lower pending USD payments.

Can you still sponsor other group’s experiences?

As expected, new roblox feature simply doesn’t work correctly :joy:

Out of 5 campaigns so far, only 1 has actually somewhat shown results and even then it was a lower bid than the ones that didn’t LOL

Also doesn’t really help that there’s (at least from what i can see) little to no documentation on how the new system even works so it’s a free-for-all on figuring it out right now…

One that worked (somewhat):

Failed:

^ Plus 2 others, but you get the point.

At least they refund you whatever wasn’t used now

1 Like

I’m having a hard time figuring out what the difference between daily and lifetime budget is. Can someone provide more information about this? And what is the best strategy so far with running sponsors?

3 Likes