Studio Dark Theme

There are a few edge cases where I get blinded by leftover white:

When closing a game, the empty viewport canvas that is displayed for a fraction of a second is white:

When opening Studio, the canvas flashes white for a fraction of a second, before the login screen appears:

Aside from those two, there are also some cases where the light theme bleeds through:

My command bar somehow turned white. I think it may have been caused by remotely logging into my PC, which updated the computer’s color scheme?

The default background color for the toolbox is light, and the search icon has a white background:

13 Likes

Assuming this excitement is for the ability to modify the color scheme via plugin, I wouldn’t put your hopes too high. It’s been (sort of) made clear they plan for there to be more themes in one way or another, however the API mention here is more likely what @Maximum_ADHD mentioned in a post somewhere else, which is API for plugins to get info about the current color scheme. He could give more details than I could.

while true do
    if eye fatigue < light theme then
        produce()
    end
end

Really though, thanks for this!

You can use settings().Studio["UI Theme"] to get and set the UI theme.

4 Likes

Don’t do that, we are going to break it in the future.

2 Likes

I was referring to this post by Clonetrooper:

1 Like

Literally the best update ever.

1 Like

Thank you so much for adding a dark theme! It’s been one of my wanted features for a very long time!

To save the trouble and mess of multiple reports, I’ve compiled a list of bugs and UI errors I’ve seen alongside a couple of others.

1 Like

Studio uses a specified colour palette, changing this colour palette and reflecting every icon would take a very long time to do.

1 Like

truly a blessing :+1:

now i can develop for twice as long!

Something I noticed is the highlight text color in the script editor is very vague, making it hard to find the stack trace you click.

1 Like

the great pinnacle of roblox studio updates

1 Like

How would that have made it impossible for them to keep the same style when they were making the dark theme?

I’m aware making themes takes a long time.

I also had a problem with the dark theme being super flat.

1 Like

I admittedly don’t like the pastel logos. I hope the “make your own theme” thing allows for changing the logos, because i want to make them more black & white rather than the pastel colors.

4 Likes

This is neat! Finally

Ok, so I’ve found a massive underlying issue with this! I will not be using it until it is resolved.

My script theme also gets switched up when changing to dark theme. This shouldn’t happen and this needs to be fixed.

Light theme

Dark theme

1 Like

Pretty sure this is intentional – it’s so you can have different script editor colors per theme. If you were using the default colors and switched to dark, you wouldn’t want to have a blinding white editor background. You can jot down the values you use for the light theme and add them back when dark theme is enabled.

6 Likes

That is incredibly bad programming then. It would be super easy to check for default themes or even for them just to add in another tick box option that allows the user to change the content of their editor. Normally, a theme doesn’t change the underlying content that was specifically set by the user to begin with.

1. User changes light theme background to be slightly darker (e.g. white-grey)
  2. User changes to dark mode
  3. Eyes still blind

This is a one time thing – not a big deal, and certainly not as painful as having to re-set up your light theme colors and vice versa every time you decide to switch between them. Complaining takes more energy than actually setting up your dark mode editor colors, so just get it over with if you haven’t already.

9 Likes