Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

It’s been around 7 weeks since this update has rolled out for me. Studio has been a pain since.

I should not have to open and close studio multiple times for the main viewport window to be in the correct spot and not tabbed out and un-draggable… (this is the same with all of the other tabs/windows)

I know about deleting the registry key and i also know about the “Reset View” action (Which I’ve already used and these issues continue to occur). However after 7 weeks i shouldn’t have to do those things to counter these issues. A feature like this should be Fixed, Less Buggy or even placed into the Beta Features tab as an option until it is fully stable and not filled with bugs.

This is severely impacting my and most likely many other developer’s workflows.

Along with this i beg for you guys to reconsider adding the UI Visibility Button and Device Button back to it’s original location, It’s just annoying to keep clicking multiple buttons to hide UI when it was 1 click before.

2 Likes

After over a month of this being posted, only 3 of these have been fixed:
Performance issues
Script input delay
Test load times

While it’s good that those issues have been resolved…
The weird blank grey tab still appears and seems to be slightly more frequent then before.
Docking still feels clunky.
Layout shuffling still occurs.
Plugins still randomly open when joining a studio file.

These issues have just gotten more annoying and there is no way to fully get rid of them. They continue to come back after resetting your registry key or even after using the Reset View action.
These need to get resolved or there needs to be a good way to work around these issues to stop them occurring so frequently.

(UI button was addressed in the main post and i must’ve skipped over it during my first read through)

1 Like

There was a post a few weeks ago about third party plugins not retaining their docking positions when getting disabled and re-enabled. That has been fixed. Please restart Studio to get the fix.

The attached video shows disabling and enabling of Pipe Placer plugin.

3 Likes

When tabbing the animation editor and output, sometimes after playtesting the animation editor tab or the tab that was previously not in focus would disappear and the only way to get it back is to change the docking.

Can you please post a video of this, so we can see the repro steps and try to repro and fix it on our end?

Here is a video of the bug:

Please keep in mind that I have script performance docked as a tab, but I’m not sure if that influences the bug’s behavior. Sometimes what will happen is that the animation editor will still not appear even after stopping the playtest, even though I was unable to demonstrate that in the video.

I prefer old ui better than new one i know it modern but it very confused to use it

4 Likes

It would be convenient if there was an option to use the old icons.

3 Likes

Agreed, I despise the “modern” look.

1 Like

It took me 30 minutes to find the animation editor, please just let us toggle the old look.

3 Likes

“modern”
Please make this a beta feature, its so unbelievably buggy.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why they haven’t included a toggle. The old icons already exist and it would not hurt anyone, even if they keep the new icons as the default for new Studio users.

As I said two months ago (or 3 at this point, I forget) - many of us have to relearn everything which destroys our original workflow.

3 Likes

Hi @ColRealPro, we are working on this issue. In the meantime, can you please try resetting your layout as it suggests in this video?

Can there be a option to revert back to the old ribbon? I honestly prefer it due to it having color, making it easier to identify what is what, but now I have to actually LOOK for it.

7 Likes

It’s really saddening as a developer to see all these really harmful updates to developers. First the audio update, then advertisement restriction update(dooming your game’s popularity), and now re designing all UI making previous fast workflow a lot slower. I am near quitting if I am to be honest. I usually don’t comment on posts but this is one of roblox’s horrible updates this year(2022)

2 Likes

Are there any plans to move device emulation and UI visibility back to the top of the viewport? Using keyboard shortcuts and mouse shortcuts on the top bar isn’t super viable for this. I only have so many keybinds.

1 Like

Don’t believe so. It seems like the engineers behind studio are very infatuated with ribbon menus lately and with the (rightful) addition of the avatar ribbon menu, I wouldn’t be shocked if more stuff was moved there soon.

2 Likes

Ribbon menus are so slow for multi-workflow iteration :sad:

Bringing the quick action menu to the top of the viewport would be clutch and generalized. Two birds with one stone. The current location of the quick action menu is very useless for anything other than saving/publishing IMO.

1 Like

New icons are now forced, cannot turn them off anymore.

1 Like

not only are these icons trash, but this update made it so when I move my camera (turn it for example) it just inverts the motion.

1 Like